• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I've gone deaf in both ears

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Driving me nuts.

I've got some sort of inner ear infections happening and my ears are extremely plugged up. Bit of tinnitus happening too.

Been on antibiotics for a week and it still hasn't cleared up. Not sure if it's related to the anemia I'm experiencing, but man oh man it's frustrating.

On top of the Crohn's too.

I

Isla

Deafness is great when you have a nagging lover or an overly drunk chap trying to talk to you.

Think of the positives man!!

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Yeah, the ENT is the next whistlestop on my medical journey, seeing as the antibiotics are not working. My GP didn't want to risk further infection by irrigating the ears. The over the counter stuff he suggested hasn't really helped. Most of the wax is out.

I've had wax problems before. This seems to be different, an inner ear thing. Right now, I'm pretty nauseous, light headed and am having balance issues. Some of these things might be related to the anemia too. My GP hasn't ruled out blood transfusions down the road.

GJohnny... are you sure you haven't been affected by playing bass and guitars! I'm slightly deaf in my left ear with some tinnitus because I've played in bands for so long (used earplugs for about the last 10 years)
The only real worry I have about infection in the inner ear is that I once had labyrinthitis (probably caused by a heavy cold)... mine was very severe and laid me flat for a couple of months, and now I can't drink or go on roller-coasters (I miss the roller-coasters)

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Agent X20 said:
GJohnny... are you sure you haven't been affected by playing bass and guitars! I'm slightly deaf in my left ear with some tinnitus because I've played in bands for so long (used earplugs for about the last 10 years)
The only real worry I have about infection in the inner ear is that I once had labyrinthitis (probably caused by a heavy cold)... mine was very severe and laid me flat for a couple of months, and now I can't drink or go on roller-coasters (I miss the roller-coasters)
Nope, I'm just a lo-fi garage rocker (Nigel Tufnel I ain't). Haven't made a big racket since my college days. Haven't had hearing problems before.

Could be a mild form of labyrithitis - causes dizziness (which I still get). The nausea is like sea-sickness, caused by the balance issues. It won't be wax, but goo (to use the proper medical term) can still get to your middle ear via the eustachian tubes leading from your ears to your throat. It's important to treat any infection... maybe the antibiotics have already treated the infection, but if it's labyrinthitis you just have to wait for the symptoms to clear up... and you may still get dizzy spells on bad days (or when you go on roller coasters)
Most importantly of all... don't take my word for it... get the doc to sort you out!

I have used a product called Cumanda from Nutramedix that often clears up infections rather quickly. If you can't get rid of it any other way give it a try.

It cleared up my sons Pneumonia in a week.

Dan

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Update:

Took what seemed like forever, but the drug finally kicked in and brought down the swelling down to the point where the ears were able to be flushed out. Hurt like hell, though. All sorts of crap (pus, blood, bits of my brains :jokercolor: ) came out besides the big clumps of wax. Clean as a whistle. Wow, what a difference. Doc told me to go straight home and use heated pads to help with the pain.

It was kind of scary ordeal though, dragged on for like a month.

I

Isla

Ya I have damaged hearing from an out of control ear infection. No fun at all!