• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fatigue problem

Hello all. I am a 57 year-old woman and have had Crohn's for 20 years plus. 18 years ago, I had my colon - including the rectum- removed and a permantent ileostomy performed. I have no problem with my stoma, it most certainly does not impinge on my lifestyle.

From the time of my surgery, I was in remission until 3 years ago. Since then I have had a number of flare-ups and hospital admissions. I was really upset that my Crohn's had returned; I had, before surgery, been informed that there would be a 70% chance that the disease could establish elswhere in the gut. However, I prefered to think that I would be one of the 30% who got lucky. My husband passed away 4 years ago, and berevement must have played a part.

I have an excellent medical team looking after me. I am on daily Pentasa, Azathioprine (125mg) and Omeprozole. I have learned to recognise the early warning symptoms of a flare-up and am able to get things under control with a 2 week course of steroids. I therefore feel that I am more in control of 'it' as opposed to 'it' being in control of me - to a greter degree.

However, my biggest problem is fatigue. I have a B12 deficiency for which I have regular injections, but joint pain and fatigue due to the Crohn's is severe.

Can anyone identify with this? Are there any tips to help deal with it? I hate not being able!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Minks and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear you're having troubles :( *hugs* to you.

You mention the B12 deficiency. What was your level the last time you were tested, how often do you receive injections, and what dose?

In addition, have you had your vitamin D levels tested?

And finally, we have a pretty good wiki entry on other causes of fatigue in Crohn's Disease. Give that a read and see if anything might be worth discussing with your doctors.

Again, welcome :) We're here for you.

nogutsnoglory

I can identify and suffer from severe chronic fatigue. My b12 is fine do its just the disease taking its toll. Some days are better but it's definitely hard. Sorry to hear about all your troubles.

I can identify with both! My GI has referred me to an arthritis doctor and I see him next month. My joints have been killing me. I have also had a problem with fatigue lately and I have never had that problem before. I don't really have any advice since I don't know what to do myself, but I know what are feeling!

Thank you for you comments. It is so reassuring to know that there is support and understanding from folk out there who know how isolating and horrible Crohn's is.

I had a blood test for possible vit D deficiency earlier this week and awaiting results. Am at present on prednisolone decreasing over 2 weeks, but have problems with side-effects. Not as severe as if it were a longer course, but nevertheless very unpleasant. Insomnia is an ironic turn, considerng the chronic fatigue that I have. It is all very depressing. Hope this episode passes soon.

I had the same problems with steroids. I was on them for 8 weeks starting around this time last summer. It was the worst. I couldn't sleep, they made me depressed, my face swelled up, I could go on and on.

I hope these 2 weeks go fast for you! And I hope they figure something out with your test results that can help.