• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The Maker's Diet

Have any of you tried the Maker's Dirty for your children? I am reading the book and it all makes sense to me since I am a nurse. He has not responded to Imuran and we do not want him to take remacaide. Has to many side effects for me to put him on it. He does ok with raw veggies and fruits. Just wanting to hear what you thin:sign0085::sign0085::awe:k.

Am reading the book right now. It makes so much sense to me. Had a discussion about it with my 18 year old daughter lastnight. She doesn't buy it, thinks evolution should take care of problems incurred by not eating the right way. She sees the law of the fittest way.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
My daughter has not tried the makers diet but is on her own version of the paleo diet. I say own version because she is vegan and is now trying raw vegan.

She says she feels fab on it but I know full well that it would just about kill some people on the forum. It would appear that like everything else with this disease diet is highly individual, what is a godsend for one is pure hell for another.

I would also add here that my daughter was in remission before going vegan.

As a side note: Since the makers diet is the bible diet I find it interesting that Jews, particularly the Ashkenazi of Eastern Europe, have an increased rate of Crohn's disease. I wonder what the rate of CD is among those that follow a kosher diet and if that diet has made an impact on the disease's progress.

Dusty. xxx

We have found it very diffiicult to talk to GI's about these diets. So on our own, we started a diet very similar about 9 weeks ago because we could not get R's flare under control and we were hoping the diet was the ticket to curbing it. Sadly, it didn't work by itself. We are now taking several medications I was trying to avoid. But his symptoms weren't getting better, so we had to do something.

I know there are some on here that can control their crohn's with diet. Unfortunately we aren't in that group. I stiil believe diet is important and once we get this flare under control we are hoping to use diet to maintain remission and health.

Keep us posted if you try the diet! Also there is a sticky on diet where we post recipes. We'd love some that you try and find yummy.

crohnsinct

Can't wait to read about it. The whole diet thing facinates me. FWIW - I was speaking with a GI nurse today at the swim meet and she summed it up like this..Most GI's don't subscribe to the diet theory in whole. i.e.: it will not keep disease in check or cause disease BUT if you are predisposed diet can help disease occur earlier and if you already have a disease and are in a flare may make flare worse.

My GI said about the same as crohnsinct's GI nurse... "there is no evidence that any diet will cause or cure Crohn's". Our experience so far holds to that, but I still believe that if we get remission, we can maintain a healthy diet and try to stay in remission. It can't hurt anything for sure.

One thought is...there are no studies that prove or disprove that diet helps because studies are funded by drug companies. What drug company wants us to know there's a diet that would help? I see on the forum that there are people with personal experience that their diet helps. I'd like to believe there is some variety of these diets that will help all our kiddos.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I too believe that diet doesn't cause or cure Crohn's but I also believe that it plays a role in maintaining remission and reducing symptoms when flaring.

As I mentioned above Sarah has made significant changes to her diet and lifestyle over the past 2 years. First moving to vegetarian, then vegan, followed by essentially cutting sugar out of her diet and now in the last week removing caffeine and giving raw vegan another go. She juices and exercises everyday.

Is all this making a difference? Well she looks healthy, says she feels fab and is still in remission. Yes she takes 50mg of Imuran a day but I would like to think that the changes in her diet and lifestyle are impacting at least as much as anything else! :)

Dusty. xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh and she says her poops are the best they have ever been since her surgery 6 years ago, that is they are normal in both consistency and frequency. :lol: She does continue to use psyllium so I would think that is helping as well!

Dusty. :ybiggrin:

Dusty, I believe you are right that diet makes a difference. R felt much better on the diet than he should have according to his bloodwork. I do think that the diet will help alot once we get in remission. He has been stagnant in growth for so long. I think the diet will make him grow and give him energy to do things. He hasn't had that in a long time. So glad it is working so well for your daughter! Gives me hope.

One thought is...there are no studies that prove or disprove that diet helps because studies are funded by drug companies. What drug company wants us to know there's a diet that would help? I see on the forum that there are people with personal experience that their diet helps. I'd like to believe there is some variety of these diets that will help all our kiddos.
This is why its important for all of us to experiment. If I never experimented with different things I would of been dead by now(no joke). There will never be a cure if we wait for drug companies to discover it, and if they do discover it we won't ever know about it. Just enough to keep us alive and hopefully symptom free but have us as a customer for life is the goal. Thats why a site like this is so great because we get to hear from different people who actually have the disease what might help and what might not.

I've never done the Makers Diet, but Im sure it would improve someones symptoms, any diet that cuts out the garbage most people eat will always be helpful. I know once I cut out all the garbage and ate real natural foods my symptoms went away. After reading a short summary of the diet, it seems similar to the paleo diet which some people here have seemed to found some success with. Anyone who does try the makers diet update us and let us know. Always good to hear possible helpful options.