• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's

I have had crohn's for 6 years now.i've also been on a lot of meds, But there is still one ? that has not been answered. How does Crohn's start can anyone answer this for me? :frown: has any one found out.

David

Co-Founder
Hi geminish and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, it has not yet been determined what causes Crohn's Disease to start. Whoever figures that out will likely get the Nobel Prize for medicine. There are a lot of theories and more quality data coming in all the time. As of right now it's pointing towards a combination of factors including genetic, environmental, pathogenic, and more.

How are you feeling these days? What medications are you currently on?

I wish you all the best :)

Welcome to the forum! :bigwave:

I just wanted to stop by & welcome you. Like David said, the exact cause of this condition is not known. :yfrown: There are risk factors such as genetics but most researchers seem to think that everyone has a different trigger that causes this disease. This is why finding a cure, or even a good treatment is hard to find. I suspect that in the future, their will be multiple 'cures'. Each person who's diseased was set off by something in particular, will probably have a cure to their individual disease. Again, this is all theory.

There are a lot of treatment options out there as well as clinical trials for those who have not been able to remain in remission for long periods of time. That is something to look into if you've failed the other medications.

Take care!

Angrybird

Just wanted to say 'hi' and :welcome: to the forum. As already mentioned there is still no definitive answer on what causes crohns right now, I am just keep my fingers crossed that in time research will eventually get us there.

How are you doing at the moment symptom wise and what meds are you currently taking?

AB
xx

Hi David i was on methotrexate Prednisone 20mg folic acid vitamin b12 now i'm on Ascole which does nothing for me and i'm waiting for them to start Remicade. I never had that but kind of scared.i never took this serious because i thought it was made until about a year ago when i started hearing more and more people having it. so i went back to my Gi and took a cat scan and he said it got worse. So i'm kinda of paying for it now.:( i'm trying to read everything i can find and start new diets it kind of hard changing old eating habits. Dealing with my emotions sometimes i break down during flare up. It nice to know theres other people that can understand what i'm going through .So glad i found this site.