• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New diagnosis

Hi, im new to this! I'm 23, I was diagnosed with crohn's last week. After 2 and a half years of suffering. I'm on tablets now which are causing me alot of pain and I'm not sure why. I have been back and forth to the doctors and my consultant at the hospital. And also have some gynochology issues, which they say is related to the crohn's. although I am relived to have a diagnosis and to start treatment, I Am worried about how the condition is going to affect me from now on. I have been reading up and people have lots of different experiences which some I can relate to which has been helpful. Do any of you know if it's normal for the tablets to cause pain, and is there anything that helps food or supplement wise? As I really don't like taking medication!!

What tablets are you taking? There are A LOT of different medications used to treat Crohn's Disease from pills, to capsules, to shots to infusions. My stomach gets upset when I take some of my pills without a lot of water & food. If you are on Prednisone, you deffinately need to take that with a meal. I immediatel y throw up if I don't eat anything before/after taking some of my pills.

A lot of women have gyno issues related to their Crohn's and its best to figure out the reason why now. It could be from the diarrhea or it could be from something like an abscess or fistula that might need surgery.

A lot of people on the forum take supplements but you need to ask your doctor first because some of the supplements can interact with your medication. Most people that supplement take things like Probiotics, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid & Vitamin D.

Everyone is different. Once starting treatment, some people get into remission quickly & rarely have flare ups. Others with more severe diseases will have trouble getting into remission and staying their. Those people usually have to have surgeries for complications due to the Crohn's. It's all about finding a balance between diet, medication & exercise. As far as food, everyone is different also. You're going to have to find that out by experimenting. Some people would be in the hospital if they ate a salad, others can eat a Big Mac and be perfectly fine. You will find that some days, one food may agree with you but the next day, it will tear you up. Keep a food diary and see if you see any patterns with your symptoms.

Take care! I hope you get on the road to remission!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum, I was also wondering what tablets you are taking and where do you experience the pain, also how long have you been on them? It is not unusual for the body to show a reaction to a med being introduced to the system but in some cases this can then settle down.

With regards to food it can never hurt to keep a diary of what foods upset things over others, some here have gone onto a liquid diet for a few weeks as this now only helps settle the tum but it also helps to pin point problem foods when they gradually get re-introduced.

I am glad you have decided to join and hope you can be feeling better soon.

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome! :)

I'd like to point you in a couple directions based upon what you said:

1. We have a women's only forum located here which you may find more comfortable for talking about your gynecological issues. You're welcome to talk about it in other forums, but some women prefer just the presence of women so wanted to let you know about that.

2. We have a diet and supplements forum located here. You may find some info you seek or by all means, ask as many questions as you want.

We're here for you, just let us know what you need. :)

Hi, thank you for getting back to me. The medication I am on is Mesavanacol. I only got diagnosed on the 14/6 so been on them just over a week now. I take 2 tablets a day with food. I get a shap pain in my tummy every now and again and then it's a dull burning pain the rest of the time. I do watch what I eat but nothing specific sets it off. I will also have a look at the other links, thank you x

David

Co-Founder
Mesavancol is what we call "Lialda" here in the USA. It is a form of mesalamine that is formulated to target the colon. Do you know if your Crohn's Disease is confined to the colon or is it in your small intestines as well? Have they discussed the idea of any other forms of treatment with you?

Abdominal pain can be a side effect. However, be sure to let your doctor know what is going on if you haven't already.

If you are on Prednisone, you deffinately need to take that with a meal.
Also you can take it with milk, but a lot of us can't deal with the Lactose, I am able to handle lowfat or 2% milk in my cereal etc...

Today when I took my prednisone, I made a nice tall glass of Nestle's Quick and was ok with it.. Nestle's Quick is a goldmine of nutrients..