• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Crohn's Diagnosis

Hi everyone,

I'm 31 and was just recently released from the hospital. While there I was diagnosised with Crohn's which caused a small bowel obstruction. I've been out of the hospital for about 2 weeks now. Currently on a Prednisone taper and another immunosuppressent. I've been to my GI doc since my release and since I am still having pain and nausea, he believes that surgery may be my best option. (eek!)

I have to say that this whole process has been incredibly overwhelming. I've read a million things and still unsure what is correct and what to bypass. I'm trying to figure what a good diet is to try and minimize symptoms and pain med usage. I keep coming back to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Has anyone tried this? What has been your outcome?

Today has been the worst day since my hospital release with pain and nausea. :(

Thanks,

Missy

Last edited:
I have intestine obstruction too and maybe need a surgery. I heard that SCD was not suitable for obstruction patients because we need liquid food.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to here that you are feeling so unwell:( Do you know what the obstruction is down to - scarring or inflammation? If it is scarring then this could be why the doc is leaning towards surgery as neither meds or diet can fix this. If it is inflammation then the hope is the steroids will get this calmed down and then the other med is there to stop is from reoccuring (that's the theory anyway).

Also with inflammation then diet can perhaps help such as the SCD, you must be strict with this though and not cheat. You could also perhaps look into enteral nutrition as this as proven to very effective for some here and it can really really help with helping to calm things down.....

AB
xx

The doc is unsure if the blockage has any scarring right now. The assumption is that it was due to just inflammation because I responded so well to the IV steroids in the hospital. When I was admitted they thought that I was going to need TPN for about a month, but once they got me onto the steroids they were able to take me off the TPN fairly quickly. My GI doc tried to do a colonoscopy in the hospital to get a difinitive diagnosis, but was unable to reach where her needed to go. He is thinking that we need to try again, but is not convinced at this time that my digestive system would be able to handle a full colon prep.

I have about 2 weeks left on my prednisone taper and am hoping I can be done with it then (wishful thinking).

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

In our diet forum, stuck at the top you'll find a diet information thread that links to this thread about the SCD. You can connect with others there and ask questions.

Since they withdrew you from TPN but did well on it, you may want to research enteral nutrition which would be sorta like TPN but you'd drink the liquid instead. So quite a lot easier :)

I hope you're feeling better soon!