• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prunie Rosie

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and Internet usage, so bear with me! I was diagnosed in 1972, yes 40 years ago with Crohns. First in Calgary, Alberta. :( then in 1977, I moved back to Boise, ID where I went to college and met my Canadian and 1st husband. In Canada treatment was new and unknown to most as they had little exposure to the disease. I had 2 bowel resections and 1 bypass where the right side of small intestine, still in me, has been left hanging. So the new position to colon always narrows and causes pain etc. I have colitis in part of my small and large colon as well. I was on Prednisone for 27 years and went through 2back surgeries as a result. I was addicted to it. I have gone the gamut of most drugs throughout the years as they found new treatments. Non worked as well as the biologics. I was on reimicade for five years. It ran its course so we then moved to Humira. After working 38 years, my health and my emotional state was at a total hell. I did receive disability at the age of 61, only because I was retirement age anyway. Now on Medicare and true blue, biologics are not covered. I am in the middle of leaving my doctor of 30 years and stopping Humira as it would run 12 to 15k a year out of pocket. I refuse to pay that with insurance payments and deductible as well. Another reason is, I broke my leg in feb and was off Humira for two months. Back on-it never kicked in. :( Now, the doctor who has supplemented me with sample Humira last year and not willing or able to anymore, why pay for something that may have run it's course?????:stinks:
I am on B12 shots, Effexor, vitamin d, Prevacid, and with the new GI that I will see in July imuran, and metrixate (sp). Through two divorces and one great husband who has been a great provider and supporter and friend, I am doing ok. I am just concerned about the direction I am taking. I have been down and out for so long except with the last 15 years with my now "friend" it is hard not to feel fear coming back. I am so weak, skinny, and tired. I am surprised anyone would befriend me. But I have survived two marriages, two kids, who are employed, married and two stepkids, who are employed, married and two stepgrandbabies and one future grandbaby. All healthy! So I have directed my good days at church and volunteering. I like to make cards, garden and watch movies. I play piano and write in my journal. AND love board games! I do like to hear from anyone, and maybe I can make you feel good!!!!!!! Love to all sufferers and God Bless!
Rosie::lol:

David

Co-Founder
Hi there Rosie and welcome!

Wow, what a heart wrenching story :( Thank you for sharing it. My heart goes out to you. You've obviously been through so much.

Out of curiosity, how often do you take the B12 injections and what was your B12 level the last time you were tested?

Since you're skinny and weak, I'm curious if you've tried enteral nutrition through all of this and if it helped at all?

We're here for you!

I take B12 shots once a month. The doctor knew about my weakness and loss of weight especially after the fall. He never said anything though. One reason I'm going to another doctor......I do not know about the nutrition suggestion you mentioned. What would that be????

Thank you for your support!

Rosie:lol:

David

Co-Founder
Hi Rosie,

Do you know what your specific B12 level is? Or can you find out? It's actually possible to be on monthly injections and still be deficient, especially with a history like yours.

Enteral nutrition is basically a liquid diet. It can be as simple as drinking Ensure or Boost from Wal Mart of get more complicated than that. We have a subforum dedicated to it, just click here. Not only can it help keep the weight on by providing easily absorbed nutrients, but it can induce remission in some people.

Thank you Dave. I am taking boost every day, nondairy of course. it goes right through me. I still take it anyway. I also take juice ensure when I can find it. I DO NOT know my B 12 level and I will have the new doctor check that. The pharmacy called this AM and said I was crazy for not staying with Humira. I do have one more sensitive question. Since I go to the bathroom many times a day and my bottom is raw, I am unable to have intimacy with my husband, it has been since Feb. He is so patient, but I can tell it is getting to be a sore subject....:sign0085:I have hydrocortisone and a paste I have been using, it does not work well, but I don't need anymore stress. Have you found this to be a barrier with others. I hate to have my husband very down! What can you add to this. Dave you are a great mentor and life saver for me as no one I talk to in Idaho has any long term experience and they all ask me for help? God Bless you! Rosie

David

Co-Founder
Hi Rosie :)

Intimacy can certainly be a problem for many here. As I don't have the specific problem you have, I think it would be better if you start a new thread about it to get personal experience responses from others. You're welcome to do so in our General IBD Discussion forum, or if you'd like a little more privacy, we have a subforum just for women. No men are allowed.

If you don't like either of those ideas, let me know and I'll see if I can come up with something else :)