• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just started Cimzia yesterday

Hey all,

I just joined the forums yesterday. I have been a lurker for the last year, for which I have been going through a rough flare-up. It hasn't been 24 hours yet, and I haven't felt any effects from my first dose, which I understand is normal. Personally, I was very nervous starting biologics (or anything through a needle/IV) since I watched my mom go through chemo (I know, its completely different, but in my mind all treatments that are given through IV or injections were the same). I was scared of any side effects, especially cancer or MS. I felt like I was in a "screw it, time to try it" scenario because everything I have tried since last July hasn't helped (different prednisone tapers, dicyclomine and tramadol for pain, different probiotics, etc). My wife has always helped me with this awful disease and she is the one who will be giving me the rest of my Cimzia treatments as she is an RN. I have heard mainly good things about Cimzia and I am very anxious about finally reaching remission. I feel like everything I eat hurts me in some way and I am struggling with trying to gain weight (I lost 20+ lbs last year in the beginning of my flare).

Andrew

Hi andrew,

Welcome to the forum!

I really hope that the Cimzia works for you. I know that these potential side effects can be scary, but they are very very small chances.

Let us know how you get on with the Cimzia!

Today (2 days after first dose) went pretty well. I didn't count calories, but I'm pretty sure I've eaten more today than any other day in the past 2 weeks. My normal routine includes waking up at 7am to take tramadol/dicyclomine, then falling back asleep for a few hours unless I have to be at work. I take the Apriso and prednisone when I wake up the second time.

I work in retail and usually have to go to the bathroom a lot during my shift. I worked from 4-9:30 today and didn't have any urge to use the toilet, even though I still had some pain. Hopefully this is a sign that the cimzia has started to kick in, but I also know it takes some time for it to work and it varies per person.

I'll try to keep you guys updated as the days progress.

HD

I just started Cimzia yesterday. But was moved over from Humera. Humera worked for a few years, but the last year has been really hard. I have peri-anal issues. Just has an abscess lanced Tuesday. I so want to feel better. I too feel like everything I eat will hurt me in some way. Good luck to us both!

I just started Cimzia yesterday. But was moved over from Humera. Humera worked for a few years, but the last year has been really hard. I have peri-anal issues. Just has an abscess lanced Tuesday. I so want to feel better. I too feel like everything I eat will hurt me in some way. Good luck to us both!
I hope it works well for you!

I took my second loading dose last night (wednesday). I wasn't feeling that great on Tuesday and thought it might be due to the fact that I am still trying to get the medicine in my system (if that makes any sense). I have felt ALOT better since my first dose 2 weeks ago. I have more energy, I've been in less pain, and haven't had to use the restroom nearly as much. I'm sure part of it is due to the prednisone I'm on (which has given me the confidence to eat again), but like before I'm just taking it a day at a time.