• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Early Onset Crohn's?

Dear all,

Phew well here goes! This is the first time ive ever done anything like this ...Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I greatly appreciate any advice!

Since 2007 on average twice a year I had severe stomach pains, issues with diarrhoea and constipation, resulting in me needing a couple of weeks of work. These first bouts were diagnosed as increased stomach acid/upset stomach etc.

From 2009-2010 the bouts were getting worse, blood in my stools, continuous deep stomach pain (not even being able to get out of bed), constipation, diarrhoea, tiredness, unable to eat etc. I was then diagnosed with IBS and given various drugs, after each bout a new drug was given me when the old one failed to work. 2010 I was referred to a gastroenterologist, who did bloods stools and urine samples, told me they were all fine and kicked me back out the door.

2011- had more bouts. Novembers was particularly bad and I was off work for over 4 weeks. January 2012 I had another bout, which I managed to still go to work through and March this year saw me signed off for another 4 weeks. After Marchs episode I was referred to a different gastroenterologist who did the following tests. Bloods, urines and stools all came back normal. Endoscopy and celiac tests - normal. Colonoscopy - all clear in the colon but found lots and lots of ulcers and red/swollen areas. On the review with the consultant afterwards he explained that the biopsies of the large intestines came back as 'non specific inflammation' and he acknowledged that although he found ulcers he was reluctant to diagnose me with Chrons as I don't have the problems all the time and my current symptoms are not necessary all compatible with Chrons. He believes I have 'early onset of Chrons' and then gave me no further advice!

In may, I had another milder bout and went back to see the same consultant. I had an MRI scan of my smaller bowels which came back fine. After reviewing the results with the consultant his conclusions and advice were the same as previous.

Now 2 months later I have started another flare up. However this is one of the serious ones which I believe I may need signing off for again. I have made an appointment to go back and see the same consultant tomorrow but am unsure what to say or do???

Feel very depressed, lost and uninformed on the whole thing, and desperate for answers as I can't keep having all this time off work.

Apologies for the waffling and the inevitable life story!

Thanks in advance

Liz (25)

Hi liz,

welcome and i'm sorry you still haven't been able to find a solution. your symptoms are very similar to mine. I'm a 27 yr old female when i was first diagnosed with crohns however i did have a very large onset of mouth ulcers also. however my flare ups usually are exactly what you describe.

Have you ever been able to get the tests done while having the flare and symptoms and what sort of drugs did they try you on?

dont be sorry like you I have also had a lot of time off work, it can be quite stressfull and difficult - hang in there you do have the strength to get through this

kira

David

Co-Founder
Hi Liz and welcome!

Good grief, what do they need you to do to get treatment? Explode? If it's early onset Crohn's he needs to treat it as Crohn's Disease. If he doesn't think it is, then he needs to keep testing until he figures out what it is. If he's not willing to do this, find a GI who is. You deserve proper care.

Your symptoms sure as heck sound like Crohn's Disease. Sure, it could be a couple other things, but they need to rule those out and make a final determination. If he doesn't know how, he should refer you to someone who does.

Start raising hell if you need to. If this is Crohn's you need to start treatment NOW. Don't let them keep tossing you around like this. Educate yourself and advocate for yourself. You deserve top quality care and nothing else.

*hugs*

Seconded David. Absolutely wild what they will let you go home with.

Get treatment. Get it now, before it gets worse. They need to rule out infectious causes, then get down to business on getting the inflammation/ulcers under control.

Enjoy,
Nathan

Angrybird

I can only agree that you perhaps need to be seeing a new a doc. To say you have early on set of crohns and then leave it untreated is disgraceful - this will only allow things to get worse and worse until you really get in a pickle. See if you can get your GP to sort out a new referral asap and be very firm that you want proper care this time.

AB
xx

Oh and welcome to the forum hun, I hope things can get sorted for you soon.