• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lots of Questions

Hello Everyone. I have just recently been diagnosis with either Chrohns or ulcertive colitis. The dr. is not 100% which it is. Either way it is rather uncomfortable. I had my first flare up a week ago. I was home alone and doubled over on the floor.I would rather go through natural childbirth then go through that. I was so scared. Since then alot of foods seem to cause discomfort. Is there any foods in particular I should be staying away from? I also noticed mouth sores today. I had actually Goggled "mouth sores" and found this link. If anybody would be willing to let me know whats working for them, I can try to see if they work for me too. Thanks:sign0085:

Welcome to the forum sslibra55 :welcome: !

Everyone is different as far as foods they can tolerate. You will have to figure that out on your own. Some people can NOT handle any vegetables or fiber what so ever and others can eat a Big Mac with no issues. People, particularly those with a lot of inflammation in the small intestine, do Enteral Nutrition. EN is when you drink a special formula it have a feeding tube put in exclusively for at least 6 weeks. No food. Just the 'formula'. EN has remission rates that are comparable to steroids. If you can follow it, it's worth talking to your doctor about it.

As for the mouth sores, those are very common with IBD. The best thing for them, in my case, is getting my Dr. to prescribe magic mouthwash. It is called different things in different practices but google it then print it out & show your GI. It is a mix of lidocaine, pepto bismol etc and sothes the sores.

Take care! Feel free to message me & post any questions on the forum!

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis :( Is your doctor going to conduct additional testing to see if they can determine which you have?

The mouth sores are a common "extraintestinal manifestation" as keepingfaith mentioned above. In fact, we have a subforum dedicated to such issues with the mouth located here. Give it a read as you might find some additional tips worth trying in addition to what KF said above.

We also have a diet/fitness/supplements forum located here where you might get some good diet related tips.

We're here for you. Ask as many questions as you want!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum. I was also wondering if further testing was going to be done in order to get a definitive diagnosis? When are you next due to see your doc and whether they had prescribed any meds?

With regards to food many find it helpful to keep a food diary so they can note down what exacerbates symptoms.

AB
xx

No, we really haven't discussed where to go from here.The medications the doctor has me on is supposedly helpful to both the Krohns or ulceric colitis. This is just so new to me. I had heard of the disease but since it didnt concern myself or family I didn't pay it any mind. I am 55 and was told it usually makes it self known in early years. Now knowing, it explains alot. For years I had been complaining about my back aggreviating my abdomin.(I have herniated discs in lower lumbar). Now come to find out it was the inflammation putting pressure on the back. I am now finding foods that I have enjoyed for years don't agree with me anymore. I have so many concerns and questions. I have tried writing them down so that When I next see my GI I will have them ready. When it comes to putting on paper or trying to express my concerns its like an instant case of brain freeze. When I saw this website I was hoping just listening to others will answer questions I may have. But I've turned ostrich. Burying my head in the sand. Right now knowing that I could have passed this on to my children or grandchildren is eating me up. Thank you for your prompt reply to my inqueries. I just haven't come to terms with this yet.I know I need to do my research and quit blaming myself on the possibility of having passed this on. Thank you

Hi there sslibra55. PLEASE look into the SCD or GAPS diet. The SCD diet changed my life. I also have a severe case Crohn's/Colitis but finally Crohn's free thanks to the SCD diet. Its a strict diet but I guarentee you it will change your life!. They say that it doesnt work for everyone......but honestly I havent run across one person that it didn't. Just lots of people saying it doesnt work for everyone. If you give it a REAL try, maybe you can be one of the lucky ones like me that it helped :) Good luck to you.
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_a-c.htm

BTW, dont try any raw fruits or veggies while you are flaring, especially lettuce. Juice or blend em. Any seeds or things with skin will feel like you are eating glass in my experience. I started the SCD diet in full flare and was finally able to eat again after 8 days. Just saying ;) Its amazing.

Welcome! I have Crohn's with many extra manifestations that seem to be constantly cycling. A couple years ago I changed my diet to all whole grains and wheat because I didn't understand how it could be affecting me. I have recently stopped eating whole grains and have had less belly bouts, but honestly we are all different. Many here eat raw foods, but I can only tolerate a few and that's when I'm not having a flare up. I seem to have 3 or 4 different diets depending on my symptoms. Praying you find what works for you.

Angrybird

There is certainly a lot to take in when first diagnosed and I think many here can relate to the burying your head in the sand feeling, just know we are here for any info and support you need :hug:

Out of interest what meds are you on? Have you noticed any improvement at all from being on them?