• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flare up after years in remission?

Hi Everyone!

I'm a 28 year old guy living in Cape Town, South Africa. I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was just 17 years old, and the first few years were hell (not going to bore you with all the symptoms, you've all probably experienced them). I was on everything, Entocort, Salazopyrin, you name it. Anyways s when I was about 22 my illness went into remission. I've been really fortunate. I've been off meds completely for 6 years now. I even started living my life as if I wasn't really ill. I actually pretty much forgot that I had crohn's until recently.

The tenderness in my right side never really went away, but maybe I've been ignoring it, because I'm showing no other symptoms. But lately I've been getting these intense stomach cramps, followed by a few days of diarrhea and then mouth ulcers. And then it goes away again for a few weeks, and then starts again. Is this my crohn's flaring up? And then there is something that really worries me... Im extremely gassy, and it feels like there might be some leakage down there! Is this a fistula?

I'm actually too scared to go to my Gastroenterologist for fear that I'm sick again. What do you guys think? Time to visit the doc? :frown:

I'd certainly get it checked out if you've had a definite diagnosis of Crohn's.
My personal approach is to try and keep ahead of it - don't let it evolve into a significant flare... if I think there's a suggestion of "unsettled" symptoms appearing then I adjust my regular meds up a bit (with a phone call to the gastroenterologist to get the formal approval!)and pay close attention to my diet. If the gastro dr is a bit hard to see promptly, a call to your GP might be worthwhile - he/she should have a record of your previous Rx, and may be able to prescribe some early intervention in liaison with the GE

HD

Hey, I also have been in remission for 5 years without meds. I was never actually told by a doc that it was remission, but as I have read on here it is usually a good idea to do so. Anyway I still have had stomach trouble over the years, but nothing severe. Did you have any stomach problems while in remission besides the sore area? These past few.months I started to have symptoms which started with a mouth sore. The stomach pain, cramping, d, etc. But mine is also not everyday. I can have problems for days in a row and then a couple days no d, but still pain. I'm getting another colonoscopy this month. Haven't had one in years. Have you had one before? Not fun, i know. So my advice would be to see the doc. I waited for a bit and thought the symptoms might go away, but there not. Keep us posted!

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome! Thanks for joining :)

I would definitely get it checked out. The mouth ulcers are relatively common sign of a Crohn's Disease related flare. I totally understand your concern about going to the doctor, but it's important to get this under control as soon as possible.

Anal leakage when flaring is pretty common and is usually not caused by a fistula.

Again, welcome to the community :)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum, am glad you have decided to join :) I agree that you need to see your doc, I can undertand your concern but if your crohns is flaring it needs to be treated before it gets even worse.

Wishing you all the best hun, pls keep us updated on how you are getting on.

AB
xx