• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohn's and new to forum

Hello,

My name is Hilary I'm 22 and from Mobile Alabama.I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease about two months ago. I was put on Pentasa and Entocort then I had a flare in May. I ended up in the hospital for a week due to flare up with my intestines. When I was released they changed my dosage to 4000mgs of Pentasa, 9mgs Entocort, and 40mg Prednisone throughout the day. I was then weaned off of until today because of the inflammation and pain. He has put me back on the Prednisone and he is even talking bio weekly shots (which scares me to death)............Back to the point, I'm new to this. I don't know much about the disease or the medicine to treat it I just know its been a rough few months through test and I stay sick which I have never been a sick person which causes me to miss work but lately if you have it I will catch it and all the foods I love to eat are the ones I cant eat anymore.Tuna and noodles are my safe foods and I just hate to try anything else because I know I will regret it.I seem to be putting on weight which is kinda ok because when I went in the hospital I weighted 98lbs.If anyone knows anything about the shots or any advise please comment

David

Co-Founder
Hiya Hilary! Welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry to hear of your problems though, you poor thing :(

When you say weekly shots, are you referring to shots of prednisone? Or a different medication? Maybe Humira?

Do you know where your Crohn's Disease is located? Small intestine? Large intestine? Both?

And do you know if they tested your vitamin B12, vitamin D, folate, and other vitamin/mineral levels? People with Crohn's Disease are commonly deficient in a variety and proper supplementation can make a big different.

We're here for you!

Angrybird

Hello Hilary and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear that the meds are not getting the tummy sorted :hug: I was also wondering if the weekly shot you mentioned was Humira?

Am glad you have joined, there is a lot of helpful info and support here for you.

AB
xx

Hello Hillary! Not only am I living in Alabama, I live in Mobile also! Who is your GI? What hospital did you end up going to? It wouldn't shock me in the least if I knew you. I just private messaged you also :)

I hope you get on the road to feeling better & hopefully we can talk more about this disease! I am very involved in the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America and there is a local support group for people with Crohn's in our area :)

I do know the shots would be givin bio weekly I'm not sure the name my next visit we are suppose to be getting more into it which right now I'm going to the dr every month. Being I'm new to this and it scares me more then anything to be honest I don't remember his saying which intestine or if it's both I know I had a cat scan first and I was inflamed at where my small meets my large then dr Parker did the colonoscopy and when I woke up I remember him saying I had sever ulcers and he could tell I had crohn's but he would have to wait for the bio to come back 100% which it did... I just know every time I go to the er they ask me if I still have my appendix even though I tell them I have crohn's... I also have tacacardia ultra fast heart rate that I just kinda learned to live with but I never liked taking medicines and now I have to have a pill organizer and a alarm so that I don't miss anything... I am very open to any suggestions...

Hey Hilary, I am in the same boat, 22 years old and still trying to get better. I have had crohn's for 6 years now and when I first got it I was scared of everything they were telling me, pills everyday, maybe shots weekly, ect...

Eventually I got better with it, I am currently taking a shot every two weeks that I do on my own and I was scared to death at first, but after the first couple of times it easy now. Don't even think about it anymore. And plus its making me better which is great.

and p.s. the town Mobile Alabama sounds very familiar for some reason....can't figure out why tho...