• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Low vitamin D!! I think my daughter has Rickets!!!

Received a letter from my daughters consultant on Friday to say her vitamin D levels are low and to visit the GP to get a calcium and vitamin D supplement! She already takes calcium supplement daily.

I have started reading about low vitamin D and that children can develop rickets and she definitely has some of the symptoms....muscle cramps, bone pain and low energy on occasions!! I thought that these symptoms were down to the Pred.

Has anyone else had rickets and is there any other symptoms??

Runninglady, don't panic yet! Rickets are probably not in the picture at all. Your daughter's symptoms probably are related to nasty prednisone and/or IBD itself.

In the past few years there have been a lot of findings about vit D and Crohns. Many Crohn's patients have vit D deficiency and it's been shown to exacerbate their systems. At Nationwide Children's, they instituted a new protocol last year that every IBD patient is tested twice a year. If it's low, they get a prescription for 50,000 units vit D, once a week for 5 weeks. A similar protocol is used for adults at Cleveland Clinic. After you're done with the prescription, you continue with supplementation with over-the-counter vit D. Then test again in 6 months.

Very important::: You must get enough calcium along with vit D in order for them to work.

David

Co-Founder
Calcium isn't a vitamin D cofactor though vitamin D is necessary to properly metabolize calcium. Vitamin D cofactors:

Magnesium (most important)
Vitamin K
Vitamin A
Zinc
Boron

That's why I love this form of vitamin D (don't buy it without consulting your doctor first!)

Oh, and it could be rickets depending on how long she's been deficient and how severe it is and the prednisone just made things worse. Since you now know she's deficient in vitamin D, it'd be good to discuss the idea with your doctor :) Good job with your sleuthing on that Runninglady!

Hi, thank you both for your answers!

I always panic when it comes to her health and feel like I am always learning, she has autism and hides a lot of her pain and isn't always able to express her feelings! But...spoken to the consultant today and all is ok! Her levels are low but not low enough for rickets to be considered. Feeling much better after hearing this. She is starting Atcol tomorrow, I hope it works quickly and I really am hoping for some sun here in Wales!! Not much chance of it this month!!

I'm very glad it's OK. Hey, we'll take every not-too-bad test result as a victory. Wish I could send you some of our sun. We've been broiling in 100 degree heat for a couple of weeks, but today is nice.

David

Co-Founder
I'm glad your doctor doesn't feel it's rickets.

Out of curiosity, what is her specific vitamin D level?

And it's great that you're continually learning and researching. That's going to let you become an amazing advocate for your daughter which can only help in the long run. She's lucky to have such an amazing mom :)

Thank you David....that means a lot. Just feel so guilty some days that she is suffering with everything and never moans and just gets on with it!

I am unsure what her levels were, but will be finding out in her next appointment.