• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

100% success in trial treating IBD with the SCD Diet

Here is the study.
http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/02/umass-ibd-diet-study-sees-success/

I was told I can't post in peoples threads anymore about how the SCD diet and how it saved my life unless they ask for diet advice. I am devastated because this diet saved my life and nobody seems to want to listen and see that they too can be symptom free and med free too! sigh :( Literally in tears.

I understand people say it doesn't work for everyone (clinical study suggests otherwise), but I have yet to come accross anyone that it hasnt worked for. Also will post the clinical study done on the SCD diet treating IBD after I stop crying and find it :( So upset that I can't post to peoples threads begging for help and relief because they are not asking for DIET advice, sigh. We are never going to find a cure to this disease if nobody can get information to those that suffer. And we all know there are lots of people that really only post and read their own posts.

So, I am sorry if I annoyed anyone, I was just trying to help :( I welcomed back a quality of life I thought I had to say goodbye to a long time ago all thanks to this diet and I just wanted others to be healed too. I will stop trying to help people learn about this diet on this forum I guess. Was just trying to help :(
If anyone is interested in trying what gave me my life back, here is the link to the food list and beginners tutorial
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_a-c.htm

you know, if enough of us tried and succeeded with this diet we just might get somewhere in finding a real cure and showing how much diet really does effect IBD.

tears all day :(

Last edited:
Not everyone has the time to cook and follow the SCD Diet. Others can not follow the diet 100% because of religous reasons.

A friend of mine was put on the SCD Diet when he was 10. Although his symptoms were improved, he was admitted into the hospital a year later because he was severely depressed and felt he had no quality of life. Sometimes these types of diets are not right for everyone. I would much rather be admitted in the hospital for my CD than to be admitted in the hospital, at 10 years of age, for suicidal thoughts. Another friend of mine went on the SCD fully heartedly and was also depressed and ended up flaring in the end.

I'm sure some people appreciate your advice but the SCD isn't for everyone. Please don't take it personally! You have good intentions :) People on this forum, if anything, just want support. A lot of people have had this disease for several years and have tried and FAILED the Paleo, SCD & GF diet.

There are SO MANY recipe blogs out there, people just need to be informed that it isnt hard at all to cook these recipes that taste just as good as everything else. All you are doing basically is replacing processed flour with nut flours and sugar with honey, shouldnt be any harder than a typical American diet. Cooking for this diet I find is actually EASIER to cook recipes cuz they are so simple. It's just lack of knowledge in my opinion. Its because its so hard for anyone to get the word out there which I am experiencing right now.

So, I guess I can post in peoples threads now after all now about the diet. They changed their minds.

I understand people are here for support and depressed, that is why I am trying to help them find a chance to be IBD free if they are one of the lucky ones the diet works for.

I'm sorry you are so sad about this but I'm glad to hear it helped you as much as it has.

For most people, change of diet is one of the hardest things to do. People find comfort in their diets and depend on those things when everything else around them is crashing down.

For others, they have probably already tried the diet route and it has not provided them with any relief.

Sometimes when you tell someone all they need to do is change their diet, it sort of trivializes their feelings and ends up doing more harm than good.

I believe everyone here at one point or another has tried everything there is or everything they are willing to do to improve their life. If they haven't tried one thing yet, they will get around to it when they feel they are ready. Or maybe never... and that is okay.

I think diet plays a big part in this disease, but as I said, we are all on our own journey and doing the best we are able to do.

Last edited:
That's funny because his mother made everything for him-from scratch. She stayed up every night until at least 3 AM to make his food. She baked him all the 'goodies' like brownies, cookies, even cake that was SCD legal. She bought all the books. Although it was very expensive, she still continued her son on the diet. It simply was not worth it for him. For anyone to justify suicidal thoughts just to physically feel better, in my opinion, is cruel. Also, please private message me the link to the study you mentioned where there was 100% sucess. I'm interested in the diet and would like to start it maybe at some point in my life but right now, that is not possible.

Also, just because you are feeling well does not mean that there is no inflammation present. I agree, diet does play a role in this disease. How can you explain though infants, as young as 8 months old, still breastfeeding, can develop Crohn's just from diet. You really can't. Infants aren't eating Big Mac's or pizza.

I understand that you are trying to get the word out, and trust me, a lot of us know about all these diets that are out there. It's not that no one wants you to get your story out there, but here in this forum, people are looking for support and compassion without someone coming along and telling them that all they need to do is change their diet and they'll magically be well. It isn't personal, its just that there is a place here to talk about diets. As said before, the diet is not for everyone. I'm really happy for you that it has helped you so much and you are feeling great.

Yes, the diet has helped alleviate some symptoms, but it is not a cure. I still had the disease and I still had flares, and I still ended up having surgery.

I hope you continue to have great success with the diet.

Keepingfaith I am not trying to argue or disagree or anything with you. I am simply saying that this diet worked for me and there is proof that it works for others. And infants are eating carbs, milk and sugar which breed bacteria and is the whole idea behind the diet.

I understand that you are trying to get the word out, and trust me, a lot of us know about all these diets that are out there. It's not that no one wants you to get your story out there, but here in this forum, people are looking for support and compassion without someone coming along and telling them that all they need to do is change their diet and they'll magically be well. It isn't personal, its just that there is a place here to talk about diets. As said before, the diet is not for everyone. I'm really happy for you that it has helped you so much and you are feeling great.

Yes, the diet has helped alleviate some symptoms, but it is not a cure. I still had the disease and I still had flares, and I still ended up having surgery.

I hope you continue to have great success with the diet.
This is how I felt when you posted about it in my thread. I made a post about being overweight and then you link me a study about dieting. yes, you didn't mean it that way, but that's how I took it.

At first they told me I could post only post on diet related posts. I was just trying to listen to them. tears Im so sorry. I didnt mean to hurt your feelings. Im done really. I will take my experiences somewhere else

There is no need for you to stop posting on the forum! We would love to have you around. It's just that when people are just looking for sympathy or for someone to just understand what they are going through, telling them that diet will change everything for them just might not be perceived well.

We always appreciate advice on diets and things that work for other people, however, its not always the response that people want to hear when they just want a shoulder to vent frustrations.

I really do hope that you stick around.

kiny

It's great that you're better.

I tried the SCD diet without success. I am sceptical of the diet because I don't agree with all the reasons in the book related to crohn.

The basic idea behind it (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that avoiding polysaccharides in favor of monosaccharides speeds up the breakdown of the sugars and avoiding what she calls waste in the intestine, left over from undigested duosaccharide, limiting bacteria exploiting the sugar. She tells people to avoid polysacchrides like rice, bread, spaghetti, and recommends monosaccharides like honey and fruit, That's the basic idea right?, been a while since I read the book.

There's a lot of holes in her theory I think, when they did tests they saw that monosaccharides aren't digested much faster polysaccharides, the difference was much smaller than the SCD diet claimed.

Many of the bacteria linked to CD, which could be causing the inflammation through excessive cytokine release from macrophages, don't need sugar, they're iron bacteria, they rely mostly on iron to survive. (they have tried iron depleting animals to kill the bacteria, it doesn't work)

So even though I want to believe in it, I tried it, it didn't work, and I can't get anyone to explain to me why it would work.

And don't stop posting, maybe people are overlooking things, maybe it does work but we don't know why yet.

Last edited:
I have a wonderful husband. After drying my tears and holding me tight we talked and he helped me feel better. I just have this amazing passion to help people find relief because nobody should have to suffer like I have with this disease. I feel like I have been on my deathbed the last decade and I got a second chane when I found this diet.
Kiny
I can't speak for anyone else or the science behind the diet. All I can say is it worked for me and I hope it works for others too. That's all I was trying to tell people. To just try it and see what happens. What have we got to lose? With the increasing amount of people finding relief and starting recipe blogs and pinterest. It's everywhere so it is obviously working for alot of people.

As I said before, we really appreciate it!

It's not about what you are trying to get across to everyone, its just the delivery is all.

I don't disagree that it helps people, its just not for everyone.

Thanks for the article, I did read the study.

Everyone, I personally know Snowflake and I know that all she is trying to say is that this helped her and MAY help others. She just wants people to give it a try (if they are looking for something new to try-which she assumed people were if they were asking for help), and see if it helps them as much as it has helped her. She honestly has the worst case of crohns I have ever seen (and mine is pretty bad) and this diet has changed her life.

Perhaps it is the word "cure" that people take offence to. I assure you, she only uses that word to stress how much this diet has changed her life with Crohns, she is not trying to say that you will not have Crohns if you try this diet, only that it COULD help you as much as it has helped her, and that is what she wants for everyone.

She certainly didn't mean to offend anyone about their weight! She only uses the word "diet" because that is what all eating plans are. The food you eat is your diet. She and I just had a conversation about our Dr (we have the same one) always pointing out that the two of us have gained weight and it really offending us. We are not super skinny Crohnies either and both know that that can come with its own prejudices from Drs. who only think you can be sick if you "look sick" enough.

However, as a separate issue aside from crohns, IF you want to loose weight (not that you should have to- not talking to anyone in particular), I know that this diet has helped Sno lose about 15 pounds without trying. I am only adding that for those of us Crohnies who have trouble with our weight and want advice (like me!).

I personally am not following the same diet as Sno exactly. Everyone's Crohns is different and we all have to figure out what worked for us. BUT, thanks to this forum, we don't have to figure it out on our own! I am going to take a lot of advice from Sno about my diet, and I am for sure going to read her blog and try to learn from her experience. I am trying to go glutton free, and may work my way up to doing SCD as I feel my body is ready for that. I am so impressed with the progress she has had with it. This girl really has gone through Hell and is now doing great! Again, she is only trying to tell you what worked for her to give everyone one more option. I know I never give up trying to find something that works for me when nothing else has, and I appreciate her sharing her story.

Did I get it right Sno? Not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to help people understand your intention.

kiny

Would be interesting if the people (and I admit there's quite a few by now) who had success with the SCD diet (or any low carb diet for that matter) made a small list of the things they were avoiding now. (specific brands where you can check the individual ingredients)

I have always wondered if these diets didn't help because of the change in carbs, but because there is something in processed foods that is hurting the mucosal layer of people.

Say someone decides to stop eating carbs, maybe she stops drinking coke, maybe she stops eating candy bars, maybe she stops drinking from a contaminated source with some bug in it. (there's an interesting article about sucralose in the research section). At that point they aren't simply avoiding carbs, they are avoiding a lot of ingredients now found in processed foods and snacks.

Basically, I wonder if the success stories have anything to do with lowering carbs at all, and if it's just because they are avoiding some ingredient that is found in high carb snacks, maybe carbs has nothing to do with it at all, but they are avoiding something else by trying to avoid carbs. (this could also explain why it seems to work for some and not at all for others)

I appologize that you felt like you needed to be stuck up for. I wasn't bashing you by any means. I actually said that I appreciated the information about the diet and your experience that you shared with us. I was just simply stating that the way you were going about doing it may not be perceived as well.

I am really happy that you are doing so well, I really am.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Snoflayk505, there is no issue whatsoever in you posting on this forum and I fully understand your passion in passing on your knowledge and experience when you have found something that at last provided you with lasting relief. I hope it lasts a lifetime hun. :)

Please don't take what others experiences are personally. Unfortunately this disease is highly individual and that being the case the SCD diet doesn't work everyone. As mentioned in the link...the study was vey small and criteria very selective so the results do have the potential to be skewed.

I am the first to say the positive results that my daughter is having with diet, raw vegan, but I know full well that it would be impossible for many others here to follow it. We are more than happy to rejoice in your success hun and there are others here that are having the same success as you with the SCD, Paleo type diets, it's just unfortunate that for others they just don't cut the mustard and it's not through want of trying.

Good luck! May it keep on keeping on!

Dusty. xxx

You should read about the SCD diet Kiny. The website answers every question you have. In the SCD diet it is not only carbs to avoid but also yeast, starches, additives, in every day processed foods. Its actually not that hard. I live off of meat, aged cheeses, fruit, vegetables, nuts and honey. With those ingredients I create delicious GOOD FOR YOU breads cakes cookies etc... In my opinion the american diet is in need of a change anyways. Disease or no disease this diet sounds pretty darn good for you just because of the fact that it is 100% natural.
Im not aware of particular studies but I have heard all over that grains are proven to breed bad bacteria in our guts and cause many health issues for many people. I am ready to eat for my health, not for my comfort anymore. i love food more than anyone it seems lol. i just chose to put the right foods in my body now and my reward is symptom free :)

I am a huge food nut as well. I love cooking healthy things. I don't do 100% SCD anymore, but I do basically something similar to the Paleo diet. I eat very clean. Fruits and veggies are my favorite things to eat as well as chicken. I do feel better eating healthy.

Thanks DustyKat :) I was messaged by a moderator who told me not to post then changed his mind. Im a little embarrassed because I was so shocked that anyone thought i was doing something wrong. Of course I immediately over reacted and started balling lol. I am so anxious to enlighten people about diet being a key factor in controlling our disease that i tend to get a little persistent i guess in my passion. i was just so frusterated that nobody really cared to hear it and it did so many wonders for me and so many others.
I am so happy your daughter is having such success with diet :) Maybe the more people that share their story about diet being a factor, people can suffer a little less.

kiny

Right, I have the book and I'm with you on that.

I just think there's a chance it has nothing to do with the sugars the diet is avoiding.

If someone drank a diet coke and ate a candy bar every day, full of artificial sweeteners like sucralose, and that person now decides to avoid all carbs...the person might decide not to eat the candy bar and diet coke.

In the end it had nothing to do with avoiding carbs, the reason was that the person didn't use sucralose anymore, a side effect of wanting to avoid carbs and going on that diet.

If the people who go on SCD diets, started making specific lists of the food they avoid, with brands, so people can check the ingredients, it would be far more interesting.

Some folks are allergic to nuts even the nut flour and other ingredients mentioned in the SCD diet so that is one reason it may not work for everyone.

And Manzyb, I was taking offense to being stopped from posting my story to try and help others. i was so emotional that all i could see were tears. lol i over react a bit sometimes especially when im so passionate about it. You were so sweet on you replies and i appreciate your kind words :)

Manzyb, I don't think she had hurt feelings from you specifically, and it wasn't just about this post. I'm sure she appreciates everyone's point of view, as long as they take her advice as it was meant to be: advice from one person based on her experience.

Everyone is just trying to help everyone else on here and we are all just trying to learn from and help each other as best we can. :)

LOL I think that happens to all of us at times when we feel very strongly about something!

I really did not want you to think that I bashing you. I love hearing about other people's experiences.

lol tested that :) Was so bummed about no sugar. I tried chocolate cake while on this diet and paid for it dearly the whole next week. So i know its sugar or carbs or yeast, or whatever is in that delicious chocolate cake? I will probably fall off the wagon and try something again but it WILL NOT be chocolate! lol Was awful. I will try just adding pure cane sugar to some ketchup one day and let you know what happens. Not quite ready to flare again yet so I will have to wait till i feel like I can handle a flare again to expiriment :) that is my plan, I am using scd as my base diet and when im ready try different things and see what happens

David

Co-Founder
Snoflayk, I didn't ask you not to post, just to be a bit more discerning when/where, that's all :) I LOVE LOVE LOVE your passion. Believe me, I share it in other ways. I have to be careful about when/where I post about some vitamin/mineral deficiencies because, despite the relevancy, it's sometimes not what people want to hear at that point in time. And I've been known to ask the same person half a dozen times if they've had their B12 levels tested :D :ybatty: My only desire is to help people and I know it can help many, but I have to learn to pick my time and place. I'm not going to be perfect, but I'm trying :)

PLEASE don't leave and PLEASE keep posting about the SCD and other diets! We also have threads dedicated to the SCD here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=32663 and here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=16495 that I would LOVE if you bumped and regularly shared your wisdom/knowledge in and helped others with their questions.

You obviously have so much to offer and a huge heart. It would be my turn to be :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( if you left because I didn't articulate myself well.

Snoflaky- on the general discussion, ihurt had posted about the SCD diet. I think they'd like some info. I tried to tag you in apost there, but not sure if I did it right! You may want to check it out. :)

I second what David said. I would hate for you to leave the forum. Having a passion for health and diet is something that I love. Mine just happens to be more so with exercise :) I go way overboard sometimes talking to my friends and family on the importance of fittness LOL

No hard feelings David :) i just didn't see how much more discerning I could be. I was only posting on peoples threads that were looking for answers or suffering so much and searching for relief. When you told me try and post to just diet threads my first thought was, "nobody reads those"! lol Anyways, I don't have hard feelings at all. I am stuck in a hard place because I am searching so hard to find a way to reach out to people and show them diet really does matter. I think I have found that people on this forum are more looking for a shoulder than an answer. I have a purpose and that purpose is to help people with Crohn's and ostomies so they dont have to suffer so hard and so long like I did. I just need to work on my......presentation i guess? lol

David

Co-Founder
Thanks! :) *whew*

As mentioned, it's something I'm working on too. And I don't think anyone will fault you much as long as you're trying. We can't expect anyone to be perfect :) One idea for you is to take over one of our SCD threads and then have a link in your signature that says, "I have achieved remission with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Join me in the SCD Support thread to learn more!" with a link. That way even if people are like, "I just need a hug" you can be like, "Hug" and your message will still be seen, just in your signature which people are MUCH more tolerant of. You can see my sig in my first post above where I ask people to post in our doctor directory. I've never had complaints about that yet if I replied to every thread being like, "Hey, hope you feel better and be sure to post in our doctor directory" I think I'd need a glass of wine before I read the complaint PM's :D

Maybe I'll do that with vitamins and minerals too. *strokes chin slowly*

manzyb I didnt find that post. I am a self acclaimed expert on the SCD diet so I would be happy to help anyone with questions :)
And Amen on the excersize. i miss it so much :( 2 years and still trying to heal from my rectum removal. Cant wait to run jump zumba and swim again! lol

It didn't show up :( Make sure under where you are typing make sure you check the box Show your signature for it to show up!

Its checked but idk why didnt work. Gonna go test it and give love and hugs to someone that needs it and post on their thread ;) Pretty great idea the signature thing. Loving this way of delivering my message instead of typing the same thing over and over again in different threads and hoping people dont get annoyed =P Go David ;)

Sno, so glad this worked for you!

I did read the book/recipes (you may have seen me ask about your experiences using coconut flour). My own diet is slightly different as I have special food issues going on that aren't common. And my experience might be helpful for you to see an example of how some people may need to modify it or unfortunately not be able to follow it. So for me things happened like this:

• A doctor told me to take Alleve OTC after a car accident.
  • I was highly sensitive to it so I would eat a half a bagel or something else starchy to coat my stomach.
  • The Alleve began to basically eat holes in my system from Esophagus to Colon (not going to use medical terms here because you get the idea) and other structural damage was done to my system.
  • My body stopped using Amylase right so starch wasn't breaking down into sugar and my body starting thinking starch is the enemy and began to attack. (Starch is probably the enemy for most of us, but in my case my body literally thought it was.)
  • So now any starch requiring Amylase is a problem for me no matter what it is in (including as a binder in medicine).
  • Two years later they found the beginnings of Crohn's while performing the multitudes of tests to find out the state of my system after the other problems, diet changes and treatment.

So for me SCD is not possible to the letter although I actually followed something similar before I ever had these problems. SCD from what I've seen allows some amount of low and trace element starches that I couldn't handle. In my case, which admittedly is very odd, I can only follow a variation.

I also haven't cut milk entirely (although I rarely drink it), because there are times when that's the only thing I can get (on a plane for 8 or more hours). Lactose doesn't bother me at all and never did. (To be 100% sure I'd have to have a test while I drank it.)

This is a long and rambling post to show you what could happen that would make SCD not the right answer. Certainly there are lots of other things that could affect the success of SCD with Crohn's. Crohn's appears to have many complexities, issues and triggers - and a lot more research needs to happen before we understand what's really going on with it. My guess would be, and it's just a guess, that it's working for certain people because it's eliminating their particular trigger and issues. I think whether that is long term remission is probably yet to be seen when they have enough time to observe people who strictly adhere to the diet plan in a controlled setting and have the necessary tests to determine that it really is working inside the gut. I know for me, the proof has to be in my tests for me to believe it.

Still, I'm happy SCD has brought you and others relief whether it is the full answer or not. And you are right that it wouldn't hurt any of us to stay away from processed foods. Just take a look at a label in the middle aisles of the grocery store sometime. It's chemical city. :ybiggrin: There is no telling how all of those chemicals influence something like Crohn's but it's probably safe to say that the preponderance of these foods we consume are not good for us or our Crohn's.

I for one love to see all the diets and supplements/vitamins that people have tried. I'm just learning about Crohn's and like to read everything. Please add your posts to the section for the SCD diet. I read it. :thumright:

Thanks for your input Zm1019 :) Also for reading my recipes hehe. I am a little confused though. I didn't see why you can't use the SCD diet? The SCD diet is free of all starches. And I am using the SCD diet as a base diet so i can do the same as you and test wheat flares me :) So far chocolate cake is a no no hehe

It is not free of all starches, it is low starch. Asparagus and Carrots for instance contain starch (.1 and .3 respectively) and will turn with an iodine test. Even cooked asparagus contains trace elements of it. Bananas that just have brown spots on the skin will turn with iodine because they aren't all sugar until they are what most people would consider spoiled or rotten (mush). The same is true of apples. Even green beans contain some amount of it. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Even if you were to look at the "THE STARCH CONTENT OF FOODS expressed as g/100g " and actually tested it with iodine, you'd find discrepancies because it doesn't take into account the chemical process that takes place as thing ripen.

I learned it all the hard way and it caused a lot of damage until I finally figured out that I had to look up the chemical composition of everything I ate and understand how it broke down.

But that is me and my own problem separate from (but probably contributing to) Crohn's.

Remember in another post I questioned SCD allowing nuts? This is why I questioned it. Again g/100 g

Nuts and seeds

Almonds 2.7
Brazil nuts 0.7
Cashew nuts (roasted and salted) 13.2
Chestnuts 29.6
Coconut (creamed block) 0
(dessicated) 0
Coconut milk 0
Hazelnuts 2.0
Macadamia nuts (salted) 0.8
Marzipan (home-made) 1.5
(retail) 0
Mixed nuts 3.9
Peanut butter (smooth) 6.4
Peanuts and raisins 3.5
Peanuts (plain) 6.3
(dry roasted) 6.5
(roasted and salted) 3.3
Pecan nuts 1.5
Pine nuts 0.1
Pistachio nuts (roasted and salted) 2.5
Sesame seeds 0.5
Sunflower seeds 16.3
Tahini paste 0.5
Trail mix 0.1
Walnuts 0.7

Snoflayk,

How quickly did you go into remission and how long have you been in remission? Sorry if I missed this info.

I'm definitely intrigued by diet, though my son, who is the one who has Crohn's, is less interested.

Thanks!

xmdmom
Yea I can understand why he is not excited :( Sugar is such a LARGE part of the typical American diet. I dont miss carbs because I can make any bread cake or cookie taste like the real thing ;) Its the condiments and stuff that is the most missed. I am in the process of coming up with a "legal" BBQ sauce. Until then I use honey mustard of everything lol

Answers to your questions:
I was in a full blown flare already for several days on a liquid diet (if that) I was living off of chicken broth packets and Auju from my husbands restaurant like always lol. I found out that there are addatives and starches in the broths i was drinking that SCD diet says cause inflammation. So I made my own chicken soup in the crockpot (super easy, happy to share recipe) Within 4 days I was able to eat the chicken and veggies in the soup also. By 8 days I was ready to try foods and the flare was really going away! Was so excited so i went full force on the diet and havent looked back since. :) Except for when the piece of chocolate cake fell in my mouth lol It was horrible, I flared for a week after that and got blocked twice.....off chocolate cake. So, a sad moment but defining one. I chose my health :) It's a good thing im an awesome cook! hahaha

I would love to help you find some great recipe blogs that will make sure he doesnt miss much if the diet works for him though ;)

Many people have said that diet doesn't work for them, but the way i look at it is it's worth a try.

There is also concern that the colon does need gluten in the long run so maybe if the diet works take him to remission, he can experiment with some healthy whole grains :)

I think this diet is a wonderful BASE diet. Once you can achieve remission, start to add something one at a time to see how you do like dairy, gluten or sugar. But I would forever stay away from gums and preservatives :)

Let me know if you would like more information. Message me and I will share any recipes or blogs i can think of.

Thanks for the information. Right now, my son is feeling pretty good (on a little prednisone and budesonide) so he's not interested in diet now. If he is faced with taking meds with serious side effects or trying a diet, I think he'd prefer the diet. He's always eaten a pretty healthy mainly vegetarian diet. The big difficulty for him would be eliminating gluten and other starches..

kiny

Except for when the piece of chocolate cake fell in my mouth lol It was horrible, I flared for a week after that and got blocked twice.....off chocolate cake. So, a sad moment but defining one.
Do you not sometimes think that it wasn't that one piece of chocolate cake that caused you to flare for a whole week, but the fact that you aren't completely healed yet and might not be fully in remission.

kiny - I'm interested about what you said re: bacteria and iron. Do you have some info on that? Might be related to iron probs that I had for a couple years.

kiny

kiny - I'm interested about what you said re: bacteria and iron. Do you have some info on that? Might be related to iron probs that I had for a couple years.
http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1000949

if you want the iron depletion studies I can find them too, but it might take a while, the iron depletion studies were specifically depleting the host from iron by changing the diet (a cow iirc), it had nothing to do with the bacteria taking too much iron or something, bacteria survive on miniscule amount of iron that they are able to steal from the host

our body has a system of iron depletion too, it will block off certain parts of the body from iron, to deplete the bacteria and stop their progress or kill them, with transferrin and lactoferrin, how that is related to crohn I would need to look up I don't know

The only reason I mentioned this is because the SCD is a form of sugar depletion similar to iron depleting bacteria, but most bacteria related to crohn, well the ones which might be detrimental to us, tend to rely on iron.

http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1000949

The only reason I mentioned this is because the SCD is a form of sugar depletion similar to iron depleting bacteria, but most bacteria related to crohn, well the ones which might be detrimental to us, tend to rely on iron.

Kiny,

Is there a specific test for this kind of bacteria?

I'm asking because I know my GIs specifically went looking for bacteria through testing (blood tests and through several biopsies throughout my GI tract) and haven't found anything in two years. Both brought up how bacteria can hide and why they had to do so many tests at different times. Based on that, I'd think they would have looked at everything, but you are making me wonder. Is there a specific test or tests that check for this?

Thanks for any information. (Would love to see the study links if you can find them.)

ZM