• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Argh, surgery

So I met with the colon/rectal surgeon on Tuesday, who thinks that I have an anal fistula, although it's complicated by the fact that I have a recurrent pilonidal cyst that's been unsuccessfully excised 3 times in the past (most recently January 2006). So I'm scheduled for diagnostic surgery on Sept. 17th, which is something I'm really not looking forward to. Ugh.

She has no idea what she's going to get into with the surgery so she can't even tell me if I'm going to be in the hospital for any length of time or how long I'll be out of work. If it turns out that she decides to excise the pilonidal (which I'm guessing she probably will), I have no idea how long I'll be out of work. Given my history, I'm pretty certain that this isn't going to be a straightforward surgery.

I know I sound really negative, but I've had 3 unsuccessful excisions for this pilonidal over the past 11 years, and every time I get my hopes up, the damn thing comes back. Now it's complicated by a fistula. I guess I should gear myself up for several weeks of not being allowed to sit for any length of time. Blech.

Anyone out there have a similar experience? I'm doubtful, but it never hurts to ask!

B

Babe123

i know its easier said than done but think positive hun :)

i dont hve a clue what ur going through so i wont pretend that i understand. but worrying makes it alot worse and gets you very stressed
xx

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Not sure how similar mine is to yours or where your fistula is located (sounds like if it's exploratory it might be inside you, my fistula was near the opening of my anus on the outside) but I had surgery a year ago.
If you want to read all the details you can click on my name, then click on "find more posts by My Butt Hurts", then find the thread titled 'I had fistula surgery'.
It wasn't fun at ALL, but I had no choice. The good news is I haven't had a lot of problems with it since then.
That sucks that you can't give your work any idea of how long you'll need to be off. Even a good guess would be helpful. I guess what's important is that you get better, then you can give all you can to work. Hope they're understanding.
Good luck, let us know what happens!