• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Supporting our children

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Hi.
I'm looking to write my local congresswoman about putting together a group for children of parents with IBD. If it's approved, would any of you be interested in helping put one together in your state/area?

The goal would be to educate and help our children to cope with our sicknesses. It'd be mostly run by volunteer and donations. My thought would be to bring in a local G.I. along with patients anywhere from children to adults to answer any questions the kids might have on what we deal with on a day to day basis.

I'd love for this to be a free event especially since majority of us don't have much cash on hand. But, I was wondering if you might be able to offer any ideas as to a minimal/fair amount we could ask for to cover costs of supplies needed, refreshments and a little something for the G.I. for their time donated. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Lisa

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
A friend of mine also suggested the possibility of maybe applying for a grant to get this going. Just am not quite sure how about applying for one...

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
What sort of supplies and are refreshments really required? A donation is a donation so you shouldn't have to give anything back to the GI. Perhaps a local church may be of help.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Not exactly sure as far as refreshments go especially since everyone has different allergies. Thought about the possibility of talking with the red cross to see what they might suggest. My husband is a regular blood donator and I've donated some of my cross-stitch to them as well. So, they know us. Still in the brainstorming part and have never done anything like this before. So, we'll see...

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Love it:) Bottled water wouldn't be a bad idea and something everyone can have. Not rushing into anything though. Am thinking a few more weeks won't hurt anything especially since we've done without something like this for this long...