• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Another Newbie

Hello All, just another newbie introducing himself.

I'm a 30 year-old male living in Boston, MA USA. I was diagnosed with Crohn's roughly 5 years ago. I've been on medication ever since. Initially, the worst part of Crohn's for me was how long it took to be diagnosed. I dealt with severe stomach pains, diarrehea, and at the time bladder problems, since my colon was flared and effecting my bladder. It wasn't until I had a colonoscopy, that my doctors were able to diagnosis me with Crohn's. Of course this was after 10 months of going to several doctors, some of which told me it could all be psycholocigal (never went back to see them again).

After 10 months of pain and finally having the diagnosis, I was given a round of Entocort and put on Lialda. When I came down off the Entocort, the Lialda did not help. I then went back on Entocort and placed on Pentasa. Pentasa did the trick.

Everything was smooth sailing for about +3 years until about 3 months ago. I experienced my first nasty flare up since being diagnosed. I went on a cycle of Prednisone and my Pentasa dosage was upped.

Good news the flare has since subsided, Bad news I have been experiencing major hair loss since the flare up and having my Pentasa dosage increased. A few days ago, I began taking vitamins (B-Complex, Biotin, Multi) to help combat the hair loss. Any other good tips out there to fight hair loss?

I experienced some hair loss when I first was diagnosed and taking the different medications. Once I started to feel better, my hair loss seemed to subside. Its been roughly 3 months since my flare up and I am definitely still experiencing major hair loss. I feel that in several months I won't have any hair left to save unless I act now. Thoughts?

Enough complaining from me :) I wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to being a member of this forum. I've read so many supportive posts in the last few days, I wish I found this forum sooner.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the to forum :bigwave: It could well be that the Pentesa is causing the hair loss beings at it has increased since the dosage went up. I myself never experienced this when I was on it and could not say what would help apart from the obvious of lowering the dose or stopping it which would be a shame if it is keeping the tum settled. I would say it would be good for you to have a look at the sub forum we have for this so you can see of others on this have had the same issue if so what they have found would help: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125.

The only other thing I could think of is vitamins. It is common for crohnies to suffer from malabsorbtion so can have low vitamin levels, it might be you are having an issue in this area which might be contributing to the hair loss. I would say to definetly ask to have a full level check and see what what they come back at. Even if you did not have hair loss it is worth getting this levels checked to make sure you do not have any underlying deficiences that can also cause problems.

Am glad you have found us and have decided to join :)

AB
xx

Sorry to hear about the hair loss. I'm pretty sure bald is the new sexy though.:ladysman: Seriously though, I hope you can figure it out. I can't say I know what is causing it but I would go with vitamin deficiency as a place to start. You have a great attitude and that will take you a long way in this journey. Hope you continue to find relief from this latest flare.

I have been taking liquid multi vits. theyre easier for our body to absorb. They look nasty but the taste is tolerable.