• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could this be a Fistula .....??!?

Hi bit embaressed posting this but i don't know where else to ask...
So i have noticed that i have what can only be described as a 'growth' coming from my anus and attaching to the bit above the anus .. think Its called the perineum(?) its not skin coloured sodon't think its a skin tag its more of a reddish colour. im in the middle of quite a bad flare so the whole area is sore but i wouldnt say it was exceptionally painful and its not piles! Any ideas?? sorry to be gross!

Better to have it checked out by doc to confirm. Keep the area as clean as possible (squirt bottle or bidet after each relief). Good luck,

Hi Sophie. It sounds more like a skin tag or a hemmie than it does a fistula. Is it leaking or oozing at all? I'm with Mickey. It's probably best to get to the doctor to be on the safe side.

As both have stated above, the only real way to know for sure is to see a dr. I can tell you that my abcesses/fistulas have all started inside the skin of the buttock area and then have came through the skin and when the surgeon lanced them open it was then that he told me that the other side was attached to my intestines. I have found out through research that these can come in all forms and can come out at other areas. I actually found out that I was pretty fortunate with mine because I saw this one guy that had at least 6 and they all came out at his abdomen. It is best to catch these as soon as possible though. Let us know what you find out. Good luck!!!

Oh, one more thing, don't ever be embarrassed to ask questions in here. If there is no where else you can go to talk about your problems and symptoms and know that most people have experienced and know exactly what you are having to deal with then you can always come here. :)

Sophie, I have a similar thing and my dr said they are tags, not hemmies. Mine are now oozing clear mucus which seems quite acidic and its irritated my buttocks. I'm waiting for my Remicade prescription to be approved. Good luck and be sure to see the dr and tell him everything no matter how embarrassing. I think they've seen it all.

Hey Sophie,

A few weeks ago I had a abscess that turned out to be a fistula. It was actually right next to my anus, not on it. Also, it had a pretty distinct abscess "look" to it (it had a white head). It was very painful. I thought it was a hemmeroid at first so I kept putting prep-H on it hoping it would go away (ha). Yesterday I had a seton placed to drain the fistula.

Does it have a white head on it? I would def head to the doctor office a.s.a.p. to get it checked out. Hope this helps!

Hi, I had a fistula for many years and it did not go away until I had a ileostomy. I know that they are very unpleasant. What you described sure sounds like one. Hang in there.

I got a fistula when I was in college because I took Immodium all the time so I would not have to run to the bathroom. Mine is located near my vagina and so I had to have my 2 girls by C-section but when a flare up begins the stool comes out. My fistula drains and I still get "ashamed" to talk to my doctor about it but my advice it to ask and tell the doctor EVERYTHING. Goodluck

I got a fistula when I was in college because I took Immodium all the time so I would not have to run to the bathroom. Mine is located near my vagina and so I had to have my 2 girls by C-section but when a flare up begins the stool comes out. My fistula drains and I still get "ashamed" to talk to my doctor about it but my advice it to ask and tell the doctor EVERYTHING. Goodluck
Ahh! You're the first person I've heard mention a connection with Immodium and abscesses!! I thought I was just weird.. and honestly never thought the immodium caused it, just exacerbated it. But yes, I can't even take immodium because I just find it makes the problems worse, my guts are still going to rip themselves to shreds either way and the immodium plugging it up makes it way worse! So glad you mentioned that... and sorry for hijacking the thread... :ybatty: