• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Much Ado About Nothing! eh!

OK so, Izzy went through the excruciating and fraught-with-uncertainty spectacle of going through her well-stocked toy box and picking out everything that can go to disadvantaged boys and girls, admittedly with convenient timing to make room for Santa's arrival.

About half an hour later, bedraggled, slightly teary eyed, and with a giant sack full of donation-worthy toys and games, she throws one arm up and proclaims, "I Mrs. Claus!"

Poor, poor Izzy!
Was it on here I read to leave the sack for Santa to take to the disadvantaged kids??
(Yup, my mind is gone. Blame it on the kids).
I had a discussion with Izzi about donating her (new, unopened) birthday party gifts to the hospital, particularly the infusion unit where she got her Remicade and/or the inpatient and surgery units. She's agreed to give all but one or two gifts away. although we'll see what happens when the day actually comes lol!

Yup. Way too many toys here.
12/19 birthday, followed quickly by Christmas?
Her "friend" party is in January, and I told her that she is lucky to even have a friend party...I never did, and there are many other children that don't.
Our friend did a book swap...bring 2 gently used books...one to trade and the other to donate to charity. Loved it!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Bon Voyage!!!! :bigwave:

Hope everyone has a wonderful start to the New Year and that it brings only lots of health, happiness and love!!!

Everyone stay safe and 'uneventful' while I'm away!!!! And lots of luck and hugs to everyone starting new treatments and getting over recent complications!!!

Will miss you guys!! :grr1d: (Guess I'll just have to find some other way to occupy my time...:dance: :cheerss: :dance:)

:heart: ;) :heart:

Wait hold on...........:(

I'm not in your luggage or your son's personal nurse.:eek2:
You can't leave me here.:voodoo:

Have a great time:hug:

:ghug:We'll miss you.

crohnsinct

Um...yeah! I made up that position so of course it is mine. Besides, I am a wine consultant so no offense but who do you think she is bringing...a dairy farmer or friend with a case of wine?

Well crohnsinct, you might be a winey (new word)
But I am a chocolate consultant.
So Tess dear, my expertise won't cause a hang over in the morning!
Choose wisely!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Well, I kinda need you both.... nothing better than some yummy milk chocolate with a sparkling glass of bubbly!!! :thumright:

Enjoy, Tess!!
A local restaurant serves chocolate wine...it is TDF!! Anyone that wants to come visit upstate NY gets one on me!!:D

:rof::rof::rof:
Yep, that is sounding more and more like my world from both boys. I always told my husband they were mine until they were teenagers and then he could have them

Oh God, the apathetic conversation I can sort of deal with. It's the entitlement and nuclear whining response to every repeated request to do a chore that should have been done hours or days ago, that I like repeatedly asking for even less than she likes being asked. It's a good thing our house has thick walls that muffle sound or the neighbors might think I'm a lunatic... :p

crohnsinct

Ah! In our house nothing is FAIR...I swear I have come to despise that word!
Of course those comments always send me into a diatribe ranting to my kids "ask the Sandy Hook children and families about fair" "or the neighbors whose little boy just died of brain cancer". To which my kids then call me Debbie Downer...and I say "you started it"

I was spoiled by Sarah when she was young. She came out of the box all sweetness and light. Nary a tantrum to be had. When we'd go into a toy store and I'd tell her put that down, it's time to go, she would listen without hesitation. She always obeyed, always said please and thank you, and never talked back even once.

Then she turned 13 and it's like somebody swapped my kid with an android programmed to drive me to homicidal mania. I have no idea what happened.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
You can deal with the apathetic conversation muppet because you are looking in the mirror and also don't have teenage boys! :rof:

That video is definitely a guy thing...teenage girls are a whole different matter. Where the boys have suddenly realised that they were born with a finite number of words and so are using them very springy the girls have equally realised that the excess words were given to them. We, the parent's, find ourselves in a constant state of flux. Wishing more than anything that the boys would do more than grunt and the girls would stop giving a two thousand word essay as to why they shouldn't have to answer the question! Is it any wonder my head hurts when they are under the same roof! :lol:

I think you'll find I don't fit gender stereotypes very well if you get to know me. :p

Anyway, she's verbose about the things I couldn't care less about and mum about the rest. :)

crohnsinct

Oh my gosh. My Gabs too! One word answers..very non commital...you would think she was an agent for the CIA or something. O on the other hand is the town crier but she is only 13 give her time...she will learn that parents are on a need to know basis.

Crohn's Mom

I find it more frustrating with a girl who does that; I still have a hard time trying to get her to actually speak in sentences at almost 20 years old! LOL

I'm not well studied enough on my Australian slang to know whether I've been insulted. :p
I would have thought that Dusty meant a catch, in a positive way, but you piqued my curiosity.

Maybe it was this:
Sensitive New Age Guy (S.N.A.G). Similar to the Metrosexual, but more timid and sensitive. Dense clusters of Snag's can be found at woman's issues rallies. Extreme examples have been known to experience regular menstrual cramps.

But even funnier, the Australian slang:

Australian for sausage.
"Buy a few snags and we'll have a beer and a BBQ."

So, Dusty, which is it?? :p

Wow, Dusty you hit the nail on the head with the boy/girl vocab comment!!! I read this article once that said to ask questions that wouldn't allow for one word answers...which might work with any other subset but teenage boys!!! J, my daughter on the other hand can turn even a one syllable answer into a multiple syllable word. "J, have you washed those loads of clothes of yours yet?" Her reply, "Nooowaah."

So... we've been having problems with our salt tank in the living room. The "sump" tank underneath the main aquarium sprung a leak, and multiple attempts to fix or replace it weren't going well as the tank/stand is very narrow front-to-back which sharply limits what I can do under there.

SO, we decided that a new, slightly wider tank and stand were called for. Our fish are growing and need more space anyway. So, I did some fancy bookkeeping and found a way within our budget to afford a tank replacement by borrowing against our home maintenance budget until tax refund time in February. It's all accounted for and we should be all set, hooray for Dad (me)!!

The girls and I decided to have an "unveiling" of the new (sleek, black, handsome) tank stand and we worked together removing the straps and box carton ends protecting the sides of the tank. As we removed the top carton end, we found a free promotional item lying on top of the stand!!

...it was a shank one of the warehouse workers must have misplaced. Oh how he must be going crazy looking for it. It's the blade from a "click-up" razor knife, with one end mummified in a combination of masking and shipping tape for a makeshift handle. Luckily Sarah and I spotted it before Izzy.

I wrote the company a nice note. They're a fairly well known supplier of mid- to high-end aquariums.

crohnsinct

The children from Sandy Hook are going back to school tomorrow in their new digs in the next town over. Please say a prayer for them and their families that the transition goes as smoothly as possible. :rosette1:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I would have thought that Dusty meant a catch, in a positive way, but you piqued my curiosity.

Maybe it was this:
Sensitive New Age Guy (S.N.A.G). Similar to the Metrosexual, but more timid and sensitive. Dense clusters of Snag's can be found at woman's issues rallies. Extreme examples have been known to experience regular menstrual cramps.

But even funnier, the Australian slang:

Australian for sausage.
"Buy a few snags and we'll have a beer and a BBQ."

So, Dusty, which is it?? :p
Well done Angie! :medal1:

It was the first but since a SNAG is a guy and only guys have the Aussie slang meaning of snag, AKA a sausage, I think it wouldn't be out of place to say that muppet is both...A SNAG with a snag! :D

hawkeye

Staff member
As we removed the top carton end, we found a free promotional item lying on top of the stand!!

...it was a shank one of the warehouse workers must have misplaced. Oh how he must be going crazy looking for it. It's the blade from a "click-up" razor knife, with one end mummified in a combination of masking and shipping tape for a makeshift handle. Luckily Sarah and I spotted it before Izzy.

I wrote the company a nice note. They're a fairly well known supplier of mid- to high-end aquariums.

Looks like something that one would find in a prison.....

From the seedier side -

http://observatory.designobserver.com/slideshow.html?view=758&entry=4597&slide=1

Catherine

It was a very hot day here yesterday at 42c. Victoria was lucky we haven't had major property losses. Thinking of the people Dunelley, Tasmania and surrounding area where it appears there were up to 100 buildings and possible one life have been lost to fire.

Catherine

There are major bush fires burning to Tasmania. Dunalley is a small seaside town about 50km from Hobart, it has lost about 30% it buildings.

It bush fire season in Australia.

Hope they get the fires under control soon, we had a bad fire year here - the smoke was awful. We're freezing now -14 C or 6 F. Wishing you were a little cooler - that is really hot.

Catherine at least it's cooler for you today :)...
we live right near the ocean so even on a very hot day we still get a little bit of a breeze.

Catherine

Had the discussion with boss yesterday that if they call a code red my children will be coming to work. Everyone use think I was overly concerned about fire risks before Black Saturday but now most of our neighbours will leave their homes as the CFA say our homes can not protected if a fire starts in the National Parks.

It great today is cooler.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Oh my....!!!! It seems I have LOTS of catching up to do!!! ;)

I haven't had a chance to read through ANY threads yet... but to all the new parents (it seems there are a few new names :(), I'm so sorry you've had to find your way here... but I'm sure you've received some great support and advice! I hope all the great parents here have helped you get through some difficult moments! :ghug:

Without having read the thread, I do give my wholehearted support to the MLP Fan Club!! Woohoo!!! Much, much deserved (although I saw some notice that CIC was adding to my workload! :voodoo: Do I really give the impression that I'm the right person to be sewing and filling Penguin shaped heating pads?!?! :yfaint: :lol:)

Cruise was FANTASTIC! Started off a bit rocky... I NEVER get sick but NOW came down with a bad cold (effin-really?!?!) on the 29 and 30th! Fever, chills, etc.! :voodoo: Then , pulled a muscle/tendon from pulling (not even 'carrying' my suitcase) - think I packed a wee bit too much! :lol: But, all was good by the evening of the 31st and things just got better from there! :sun: We all loved it but the kids LOVED, LOVED it!!! Emily judged the Sexiest Man contest (which Stephen entered!), Stephen also entered another contest where he had women throwing their bras at him and he ended up in his boxers wearing one of the 'thrown' bras in front of an audience of 200 people! :eek: Food, entertainment, service was all amazing! E and S say they want all future vacations to be cruises! Given their ages and work/school schedules, we'd thought this would probably be one of the last 'family' vacations for a while, so thought the cruise would be a good way to go 'out with a bang' but, apparently, all we did was set a new minimum 'standard' to reach each year! :yfaint: Forget Freedom 55 - I'll be working till I'm 75! :lol:

All in all a great time... NOT happy to be back to dealing with reality - work, snow, etc., etc.! :thumbdown: But missed all you guys!!! :ghug: Hope everyone's been good (or, at least, stable!)... will catch up in the next few days! :thumright:

:mario2::mario2:Woohoo, Tesscorm is back:dance::dance:!!!!!!!!!!!! So glad to hear your vacation went well! It sounds like it was a blast!

WOW..sounds like some holiday.
Glad to hear you had a great time.

Now back to reality and start sewing those penguins...:ysmile:

WHAT KIND OF CRUISE THROWS BRAS AT TEENAGE BOYS!!!!!

AND NO ONE SAY.........A FUN ONE!:yfrown:

I'm so glad you had a good time. We've missed you!:rosette2:

Our new fish tank is up and running:

Old and busted in the background. The filtration equipment wasn't running correctly and a tank upgrade was the easiest way to fix it (sadly not as fast as I would have liked, but all the fish are happy.)

We got a new Kole tang. Very pretty. Izzy says his name is "Jack West".

Jack West is a little stressed out. Sarah cracked up when I sang to him:

Hey I just met you
and this is crazy
but here's some pellets
so eat some maybe!

After she caught her breath, Sarah's response was "I love this family!"

High praise from a 14 year old.

Fantastic tank, muppet...I had a 150 gallon in my old place that I aspired to make a saltwater tank. I couldn't even keep the friggin guppies alive in it. Pets and I are not meant to be!

Welcome back, Tess!!! I have never been on a cruise...soon, although I am fairly certain it will be a ladies one sans children...my 2 YO would see your son and forgo the boxers...he's think it was a naked dinner party!!

This is just a measly 75 but big enough for a very small tang to join our clowns, damsels, flame angel, and engineer goby. :)

The e-goby was pretty cheesed about being moved. He spent all last night building new bunkers all over the sand bed.

And of course, the minute I got everything set up and had 24 hours to enjoy the splendor of the new tank, 2 bulbs in my 4 bulb fixture burnt out and now the color spectrum is all messed up. It's always something. :p

Sounds like you had fun despite being cooped up in a sea-going, claustrophobic, disease-breeding science experiment, Tess!! ;)

Beautiful tank muppet. We have not had fish since my youngest at 2 (now almost 12) got up in the middle of the night and decided the fish were hungry so fed them a whole jar of food and then decided they were dirty so they needed to be taken out of the tank and washed with a whole bottle of dish soap. He left them on the counter covered by a dish cloth and calmly took himself back off to bed.
Welcome back Tesscorm sounds like a great cruise.

Crohn's Mom

Gorgeous tank Muppet !

We tried to have fish once ~ once.
JJ insisted on them, we tried ~ we bought quite a few ~ JJ named every single one of them Joey. (he was 4 years old).
They lasted almost a week !
We gave up raising fish LOL.

There's great forums out there for both fresh and saltwater fish. It sounds like you may have started too fast if you bought a lot right away.

Crohn's Mom

Thanks, but that was 10 years ago, and I think he's over his fish phase ?

Well, maybe...he has a beta fish in his room that he bought a few months back and he has managed to keep that one alive !
His name is Oscar ~ so at least the everything is named "Joey" phase has been outgrown haha. :)

Ooh. The great betta debate. Bettas are almost impossible to kill but most aquarists will spend hours explaining why tiny betta bowls are horrible fish torture chambers. :)

Tesscorm

Staff member
Great tank, Muppet!!! I wish I had the talent to have a beautiful tank like yours! But, like Crohn's mom, I have a hard time keeping goldfish alive! :redface: Although, Emily did have a beta fish for quite a while... ;)

WHAT KIND OF CRUISE THROWS BRAS AT TEENAGE BOYS!!!!!
Most definitely the kind that an 18 year old considers FUN!!! :lol: All part of the game but, the women were literally taking off their bras in the audience and throwing them down! :lol: (It was restricted to an audience of 18+!)

Crohnsinct - we had 'YMCA' performers on board!!! You would have loved it - all sorts of uniforms with lots of poles to hang on to!!! :yfaint: (And I DO mean the poles attached to the ship!!!! :lol:)

Angie - DO, DO, DO go on a cruise with the girls... you will LOVE it!

:D

Wow, some handsome looking sons! OK, so if I had to guess the boy with the 12 on his hat is your IBD'er. Right? Are they close in age?

Tesscorm

Staff member
Great pic!! And, yes, very handsome boys! :thumright:

My kids used to LOVE snow days but we rarely get that much snow :)

Thanks FW and yes the one with the 12 is Jack the IBDer, James is 11 they are almost exactly 2 years apart and they get asked quite often if they are twins.

Muppet - It is a ski brand Spyder and I like them because the have these little extra growth hems in them, you just pull out the stitches and you can get an extra year of wear. He like them because he says they are the warmest when he is skiing. They have been around for a while at least for skiing, this is his fourth one.

Thanks Tess, we just finished building a giant snow turtle in the front yard, we tried for a snowman but it is a mix of good packing snow and fine snow we couldn't get it to stay together so we just piled it up and shaped it. Gotta build something in the snow when you get a snow day from school - Now they want to play video games so I suppose I shall let them after some hot cider (for Jack) and cocoa for James and I

I'm surprised the IBD kiddo can tolerate the cider. Apple juice, especially with any pulp in it (like you get with pressed cider) is definitely on our list of triggers in this house.

Shhh don't tell him it comes out of a box and is powder until you add hot water to it, then I squirt a little whip cream and viola!

Yeah has never had a problem with either and he doesn't like chocolate. The other one however is lactose intolerant so no whip cream for him and has to be made with non-lactose milk or soy and he doesn't like apple cider

When I was a kid it was on dairy, low residue. I got no ice cream, hot chocolate, couldn't do cider, no pizza... it was a crappy childhood from a goodie perspective, let me tell you.

I'm glad your son isn't as limited.

Sarah follows the same low-residue, no dairy diet that I did (also low or no grease, hot spices, stuff like that), EXCEPT that I allow her occasional exceptions when she's doing well. My parents didn't allow any exceptions and the result was that I binged on "forbidden" foods in my late teens and early twenties to make up for lost time. I've been hoping to avoid that with her by getting her used to moderation.

I'm not convinced it's helped. :) The moderation, that is.

Jmrogers, what handsome boys! It looks like they had a great snow day!! Wish you guys could send some our way, of course a light dusting just about shuts our state down!!! Ha!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh wow Jm, what a fab pic! And such handsome lads! I bet you are one proud Mum and rightly so! :):):):):):)

Do you think I would only end up with a puddle if you sent of that snow down here? :lol:

:mademyday:

Dusty. :heart:

I don't know Dusty from the sounds of it you might end up with a dry box :ybiggrin:
I like the snow as long as I don't have to go anywhere and can sit in front of the fireplace with a warm drink and just look at it, but given the choice between a warm beach vacation and a snowy ski resort vacation, I will take the beach everytime!