• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Much Ado About Nothing! eh!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Stephen was just a bit older when he went, I think maybe 9 or 10. This tournament is only for the younger age groups. Stephen's team ended up winning the tournament for their level and their final game was played in the Scotia Centre/Corel Centre (think that's what its called?? - where the Senators play), they used the Ottawa Senators change room, their bench, they had the lights, buzzer, etc. during the game just like a real NHL game (only thing missing were the fans! :lol:).

Something I don't think we'll ever forget!

One day, I'll have to skate the canal too!!! :ybatty:

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Back to your discussion on parent-teacher meetings. Our school assigns times - each parent gets 15 minutes with their kids' teachers. We have 3 kids there (It is K-12th grade!), but we had 4 there at the beginning of the year. Anyway, they always scheduled our conferences back to back. We'd have 15 minutes then a bell would ring and we'd be expected to be at the next teacher's room then switch again, etc. If one parent goes long in front of you, your time gets cut off. If you go long, then your next child's teacher will be waiting and you'll lose out on that conference. Needless to say, I didn't find it very helpful. It was too rushed and not much productive info ever passed. I was pretty frustrated until my husband told me not to worry because if there was a problem we could schedule a meeting with that child's teacher any time. Starting in 7th grade the parents meet with the student and all their teachers in a round table discussion. These are okay. They are student-led.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Ours were similar, Carol... 15 minutes and the buzzer would ring...

Beaver Tail recipe

Pizza dough
3 tbsp sunflower oil or as needed
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon

Tear of a small portion of pizza dough (depending on size you'd like). Roll out thin in a beaver tail shape. Repeat for as many tails as you'd like, lay flattened beaver tails on floured tray.

Combine sugar and cinnamon in shallow wide dish.

In skillet, heat oil. Once hot, add a 'beaver tail' and brown. When brown on the bottom side, flip and brown the other side.

Remove beaver tail and drain on layered paper towels. While still hot, brush with butter and dip one side in sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Not sure this recipe is clean, healthy or acceptable under any diet! :eek: But... Enjoy! :D

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Ours were similar, Carol... 15 minutes and the buzzer would ring...

Beaver Tail recipe

Pizza dough
3 tbsp sunflower oil or as needed
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon

Tear of a small portion of pizza dough (depending on size you'd like). Roll out thin in a beaver tail shape. Repeat for as many tails as you'd like, lay flattened beaver tails on floured tray.

Combine sugar and cinnamon in shallow wide dish.

In skillet, heat oil. Once hot, add a 'beaver tail' and brown. When brown on the bottom side, flip and brown the other side.

Remove beaver tail and drain on layered paper towels. While still hot, brush with butter and dip one side in sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Not sure this recipe is clean, healthy or acceptable under any diet! :eek: But... Enjoy! :D
Glad to hear these are not made of real beavers' tails! They sound tastey! Maybe we'll try a gluten-free variety...

Mmmmm, just chiming in for beaver tails! I never thought of making them - thankfully -otherwise the kids would be requesting one daily and that wouldn't be good :)

Tesscorm

Staff member
I've actually never made them myself... I went to a cooking demo/class once and they made the beaver tails using this recipe, so I know the recipe is good... but, when I've had beaver tails, it's been at Niagara Falls or Wonderland (amusement park), etc. Luckily, they're not available at every street corner! :eek:

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
If fried dough, butter and sugar wasn't bad enough^^^. Let's add chocolate frosting and Reese's Pieces!! I'm glad someone explained what beaver tails are though:)

Tesscorm

Staff member
Oh my!!! I've never seen a beaver tail like that!!! :ylol:

Dusty, love those!!! I think the winebulance is in front of Crohnsinct's house! :eek:

:lol:

Yeah! the boys will be home in a couple of hours! They have spent the week with their grandparents volunteering at an animal sanctuary in Utah. The first couple of days was great, got so much stuff done, stayed in my jammies all day one day, but with hubby at work and the boys being gone it was very quiet around here

Sounds like the boys will come home with plenty of stories, an animal sanctuary, how cool!

I've been productive the last few days as well, C has been enjoying hanging out with friends and now spring break starts so he is headed out of town with friends and I have a clean house so I plan on doing as little as possible!!

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I gotta get a booth like that and start a trend here in AK! This could go over big! Shh! Don't tell anyone! I don't want anyone to do it before I do!

crohnsinct

Twiggy: Breakfast of champions! I see bananas so you have the fruit veggie checked, Perhaps that is Nutella under the bananas and there is dairy and hazelnuts in that so protein and dairy checked. And the dough checks the breads category. Look at you! All food groups with one dish! Pat yourself on the back with both hands!

Twiggy: Breakfast of champions! I see bananas so you have the fruit veggie checked, Perhaps that is Nutella under the bananas and there is dairy and hazelnuts in that so protein and dairy checked. And the dough checks the breads category. Look at you! All food groups with one dish! Pat yourself on the back with both hands!
You can have breakfast with me anytime!

Love the way you think!

Nah, just a dark shade of gray :)
Don't get me wrong, I love desserts for breakfast with a cup of coffee but I have never been able to justify them

Nah, just a dark shade of gray :)
Don't get me wrong, I love desserts for breakfast with a cup of coffee but I have never been able to justify them
HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Live a day in a farm wifes boots and you sure will!:ylol: Their's a reason why I am the size I am. My new favorite saying....I'm NOT fat, I'm abundantly blessed!:lol2:

That's great. I'm becoming more "blessed" as the years go by.
Breakfast this morning - lemon meringue pie (there was one piece left from Easter, somebody had to eat it).

Off to lacrosse game, first week of games for the boys, last night Jack and baseball, left the house at 7:30am returned at 8:45pm today is looking much the same and tomorrow and Friday and Saturday and next week - heck let's just say the next 6 weeks!

crohnsinct

Breakfast this morning - lemon meringue pie (there was one piece left from Easter, somebody had to eat it).
Lemon = fruit
Crust = bread
Meringue...made with eggs = protein

If you had a glass of milk with that dairy and BAM! Hit all the groups! You are good to go!

I had a hard boiled egg a hard boiled white (free range organic egg...protein) , piece of cheese (organic, dairy) , croissant (bread) with jam (organic strawberry...fruit), 4 lemon cookies, 6 Hershey Kisses, 3 or 4 oatmeal M&M cookies and 3 or 4 mini Twix bars. See I get all the healthy stuff out of the way first then go in for the kill!

Last edited:
Creamer in my coffee? Although it is non dairy Remember I'm lactose intolerant so dairy bad!
Dinner tonight - red vines at the lacrosse game

This is cracking me up! This morning at breskfast I had to choose between lemon meringue pie and carrot cake with cream cheese icing. I went for the carrot cake. My son complained when he found out I ate cake for breakfast so I told him he could do the same if he baked the cake. I may have inspired him to take up baking...

My son never wanted breakfast before crohns. I never made him eat much, but now I do and he doesn't seem to mind. My daughter is now the one who doesn't want to eat breakfast. I am wondering if this is normal among kids WITHOUT IBD?? I don't have any ability to understand what is normal kid behavior anymore...

crohnsinct

HA! I hear ya Johnnysmom. I wish that mom with the normal kid who eats the right stuff, learns at the exact right pace, grows according to the charts etc would out herself!

My supposedly healthy 9 year old hates eating breakfast. Drives ne insane because well I am Italian and was put on this earth to feed people but also love breakfast and it is the most important meal right? So I stopped forcing her but one day thought hey what if she just doesn't like breakfast food and I presented something else. So sure enough, once I started giving her chicken, pasta, salad, veggies and hummus etc as a choice she was gobbling breakfast down. Sent her to school today after eating salad with roasted peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers...stinking like garlic! Barforama!

Tesscorm

Staff member
I'm not sure about 'most' kids specifically but I think lots of people just aren't hungry first thing in the morning. I don't eat breakfast until approx. 10am but that's usually not possible to do for kids while at school.

When my kids were small (so years before Stephen was diagnosed), I used to give them 1/2 of a Carnation Breakfast with their breakfast. They may only have eaten 1/2 toast but I felt better knowing they'd gotten some nutrition. I only gave them 1/2 because I found the entire 'pack/can' was quite filling for them. Also, it was very thick, so I diluted it with milk - they were happy because they thought they got chocolate milk every day! :thumright:

crohnsinct

So does it matter if you ration your Easter candy over a week or so eating 5 pieces a day or you just shovel the whole bag down your throat while drinking your mornng tea and reading the forum?

Same amount of total candy intake right?

Liam is the opposite, breakfast is the best chance I have to get food into him. If he doesn't eat well then I know I need to worry because he either has a lot of pain or severe nausea and I know his appetite is going to be non existant all day.

His appetite decreases steadily as the day goes on. I try to give him a good snack straight after school and we generally eat dinner at 5:30 because I know after about 6:30 I have almost no chance of getting him to eat more than a couple of bites.

My non-IBD kid has never been a fan of breakfast. She says it makes her nauseated to eat early in the morning. Admittedly, I didn't push it...well until standardized testing time! You know how they beat it in your head to make sure they get a good breakfast for testing, I'd be chasing that child around with a full on breakfast those mornings!!

So in HS I overheard her telling a friend, "Yeah, my Mom thought breakfast during CRCT would get me into Yale."

Ummm..no I didn't..well okay maybe I did a little!

Maree same here. My kids are big on breakfast and lunch. I grew up the same way.
My dad had all us kids (6) get up by 5:30 am (no I wasn't raised in the country). We always could have are fill of breakfast foods. My mom accomplished more by 10 am then most do all day long. Still to this day if I have a big project I want it done by noon.

Crohn'sinct I need your unique perspective on food ;)

Started my bread starter today which got me in a baking mood, so decided I'd try to make a vaguely healthy chocolate cake, ingredients below:

6 eggs
5 oz ground almonds
4 oz agave
5 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa mass)
1/3 cup organic butter
1/2 cup spelt flour (wholemeal)
2 tsp baking powder

Can I pretend it's healthy? Or do I need to save my children from potential harm by eating myself.

CIC,

I tend to just go ahead and eat all the candy...no rationing here! I figure it gets it out of the house and hopefully makes me so sick of it, I won't go buy more for a while! :ylol:

crohnsinct

Maree! That sounds yummy! Let's see..

Almonds - awesome source of protein
Eggs - more protein bonus points
Agave - non processed sugar nice and clean
Dark Chocolate 70% - well, chocolate is processed but 70% has so many heart benefits and since we are aging and under a lot of stress we really owe it to our families to take good care of ourselves so the way I see it you are being rather selfless here!
Organic butter - organic is good...from grass fed cows no doubt.
Whole meal Spelt Flour - breads check and whole double check

The only food group you are missing is fruits and veggies so yeah maybe you should do the mommy scarifice thing and eat it all yourself:ylol:

JMK: I like the way you think! Hopefully it doesn't kick my sweet tooth into over drive and send me to the market buying more:yfaint:

CIC I love your nutrition reviews :) Guess I could make a raspberry coulis to go with it to deal with fruit and veg deficincency.

I've found I love agave, I think it tastes much nicer than sugar, so think will stick with it even if/when I abandon my attempts at healthy food.

Maree...do you replace sugar with it in regular recipies or do you have to search out agave specific recipies? and why can't I spell recipie? Argh.

I have a powdered version of agave that I replace sugar with in normal recipes, the tin says to use 80% the amount as sugar. If the recipe doesn't sound very sweet I often wont change the recipe but if it's already rich I'll increase one of the other dry ingredients to compensate.

For example in the chocolate cake recipe, I decided I'd prefer this was less sweet not more sweet so I reduced the quantity of agave from 125g to 100g and increased the amount of almond meal from 125g to 150g. I also sometimes add almond meal to recipes that don't contain it, to replace some of the sugar, as I like the flavor.

I haven't done it yet but I'm sure you could make meringues with agave and they'd taste great. I'd use 80% of the sugar recommended then 20% nut flour.

I also have a light syrup version, which has quickly become Liam's favorite toping. I much prefer the taste of it to maple syrup.

Liam's GERD diet used stevia in all it's recipes but I didn't like the taste, it's ok with strong flavors but it really does need masking.

On the forum I found agave suggested as another healthy alternative to sugar so gave that a try and it tastes great, so I think I'll probably continue to use.

I'm aware that agave doesn't have the advantage of being low calorie that stevia does. Advantages are meant to be that it's low GI and you can use less.

However that hasn't really worried me as neither of my boys have a weight issue. Other than calorie content what other issues about fructose that I should consider?

crohnsinct

Quite a while ago I posted a handy dandy list of non processed sugars and measurements for substituting for sugar in the clean diet thread. I like to use Sucanat or Rapadura because they are clean (not processed) and have retained some minerals, vitamins and nutrients. I think I also posted something in that clean eating thread about the benefits of these.

So you see the 100 or so easter cookies I have eaten since Sunday were actually good for me because I made them with Rapadura!

crohnsinct

CRISIS!!! CRISIS!!! What will Twiggy put on her Beaver Tails now? Come on Germany...hand it over and no one will get hurt!

Thieves in Germany decided to go for a different kind of precious material this weekend. Instead of the real deal, robbers went for chocolate gold in the form of everyone's favorite gooey dessert spread: Nutella.

According to the Associated Press, thieves in the German town of Bad Hersfeld got away with a whopping 5.5 tons of the chocolate-hazelnut spread. The jars were stolen from a parked trailer. That excessive amount of Nutella is worth about $20,710 or 16,000 euros.

my little penguin

Staff member
Hopefully they will hide all if the Nutella for ever and ever
( sorry twiggy)
FA to hazelnuts makes Nutella not very popular in my house
But elephant ears are ( aka beaver tails but roundish )

crohnsinct

Well I guess if you have never tasted it you could live without it but at this point if O developed an allergy to anything in Nutella natural or not I think you would all just have to buy stock in the makers of the epi pens!

My 18 year old says that if she could ever not eat cheese that we should just pull the plug.

Italians! All about the food around here.

crohnsinct

And just to stay true to my clean eating rep...there are much healthier alternatives to Nutella...organic, much less suagar etc. My kids like it fine but Nutella will always hold a special place in their hearts.

I have never seen Beaver Tails (or Elephant Ears, for that matter) in Australia. :eek2::eek2::eek2:

That might, of course, be because I eat almost no takeaway food, except sushi. :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
You are right Susan, we don't have them here. The closest thing we have to animal food is a bear claw. :biggrin:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Ah, we have bear claws too! :lol: We also have chicken fingers and pigs in a blanket!

Re the nutella The thieves can keep it!!! :puke_r: Love chocolate and nuts but I can't even stand the smell of nutella! The rest of my family loves it though! :D

You guys crack me up! Contrary to how it may appear I am not a huge Nutella fan. Don't get me wrong, if it is the only chocolate option I will go for it but it would never be my first choice. My son on the other hand might not live without it... In fact if he is feeling too terrible to eat anything else he can usually still eat Nutella.

I've been good the last couple of days and had yogurt with bananas and granola for breakfast.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Stephen's all-time favourite snack/treat for YEARS were Pillsbury Country biscuits smothered in nutella! :yfaint: Everytime he had a friend stay over, he'd ask me to make them as an evening snack! :lol: I imagined every little boy going home and saying 'wow, you should see what Stephen's allowed to eat before bed!' :lol:

crohnsinct

I finally have a clean one for FW!

Person 1: I just watched this awesome movie
Person 2: Cool, what's it about
Person 1: The wife is brutally killed by a cold blooded killer and the son gets really hurt. Then there is a twist and the son is kidnapped. The father then begins a quest to find and save his son, with the help of a mentally ill female.
Person 2: Wow, I want to watch that movie. What is it called?
Person 1: Finding Nemo.

THANK YOU crohnsinct!:ghug:

Thank you :confused2:for calling Dorree "mentally ill" and not just a "female".
I could have just kick my hubby at the theater.:ybatty:

crohnsinct

O.K. I posted on darling Devynn's thread that I was pretty sure my girls would not ever give their lunch to another child not because they are cold and insensitive but because they are sweat hogs!

Today, my youngest came home and told me she gave away her home made, italian, pain in the butt to make mommy only makes them twice a year cookies to her friend because she didn't have a lot to eat for lunch!

I don't know if I should feel like a good mother for raising such a great kid or bad mother for ever doubting my child haha or worse for being pissed it takes so much to make them!