• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help

Hi,
I have been haveing abdominal pain since november last year, with loose stools (at that point 3-4 times a day) and some blood, it took me until july to get sigmoidoscopy, which was clear, but symptoms have got worse, so now I am going to the loo 4 - 12 times a day but about 7 on average, I frequently have blood in the diahreah (most times there is blood), I havent had a formed stool in ages. I often get gas with blood which is dark and thick. I have lots of pain sometimes I cant even stand up right. I have pain mid abdo below belly button and slightly to the right. I also get a cramping in the centre of my abdo just above the belly button and cant sit down when I get this. I have difficulty sleeping because of the pain and often wake up in night, and also wake up because I have to go to the toilet.
I have been told I have ibs, but I am not convinced this is ibs.. especially because of the blood (which panics me too) Im fed up, tired, drained and also the diahreah is stopping me from sociallising... I have been given anti spasmodics but they do nothing... The drs are making me feel like I am time wasting and I don't know what to do.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment :(

The problem with a sigmoidoscopy is that this can only look so far, further testing really does need to be done whether it be imaging or ideally a pill cam as this can look through the small bowel as well. Was the sigmoid the only test they did - have you had any type of blood tests and if so do you know what was checked etc?

Are you back under the care of your GP or are you still due to see a GI doc again? Either way really push for further testing to be done, no way is bloody stools normal and I can't see how they can put this down to IBS.

Do check out our undiagnosed forum as well as there is a great bunch here to also have a chat with: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75.

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi Eriberri and welcome to the community!

First off, IBS does NOT cause blood in your stool. Any doctor who is telling you this is IBS is full of it and you should demand that they find out what is causing the blood in the stool. Sure, it could be something as simple as hemorrhoids though I very much doubt it based upon what you're describing but my point is they need to figure out WHY you are bleeding.

You need to see a new gastroenterologist if you haven't seen one already. If they won't get you in SOON then go to the A&E. If they don't do anything for you, go back. Demand the level of care you deserve. Your symptoms need to be taken seriously so you can get proper treatment for whatever it is that's going on with you.

We're here for you anytime you need us.

*hugs*