• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

23female with UC

Hi

I moved abroad at the age of 15 and believe with the stress of everything started having some issues, went to the doctor who then confirmed i have UC. They put me on mesalazine tablets 2x 3 daily and at one point i was losing so much muscous that i had to resort to using enemas ( introducing liquids via from behind) Just to get to work in the morning with the bus was a nightmare since there wasnt any toilets! Since then it eventually subsided and i went into remission for about 3 years which was great, i continued taking the tablets however decreased my dosage and was taking 1-2 tablets per day.. if that as to be honest some days i would forget since i was very relaxed. However recently i have had a flare up again .. i have had some personal issues.. yes a guy! lol and had abit of stress :( im extremely constipated and im losing alot of blood. I have been reading alot of information about this and just read the book from David Klein about self healing which is basically stating that vegan is the way to go. I love my meat but im willing to try other options because i want to live a life in remission! Anyone has any other ideas about preventing flare ups with UC?

Hi meltre, nice to meet you. :)

My brother has UC, and it began for him after a stressful incident also... He's had it for many years, but one thing I know is that he avoids all fiber.

I was concerned for him because I thought we all needed fresh fruits and veggies to be healthy. I have also heard that a vegan diet is soothing for people with inflamed bowels, but my brother is scared to try it, and I now understand why not better than I'd like to!

I would love to hear your experience with a vegan diet if you decide to try it. :)

Juli

David

Co-Founder
Hi meltre and welcome to the community!

I'm not familiar with that author or book. Diet can definitely help many people with Ulcerative Colitis, but the key is finding what diet works best for you. There are some that try a vegan diet but many more I've seen have success with a paleo diet or specific carbohydrate diet. But everyone is different so experiment.

I personally wouldn't go without the western medicine though, especially if you responded well to it last time. I'm a big fan of hitting Ulcerative Colitis from all angles. Western medicine, diet, exercise, stress reduction, alternative treatments, etc. Do everything you can do get back to remission and stay there.

Again, welcome!