• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Faecal transplants for IBD

I know there have been reports of faecal transplant for C. Diff. This abstract mentions faecal transplant for IBD. If anyone has access to the full text with references to the cases in question it would be interesting to read about the cases and possibly even see which doc's/centers may have done the procedures for IBD folks.

Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2012 Jul 25. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2012.05220.x. [Epub ahead of print]
Systematic review: faecal microbiota transplantation in the management of inflammatory bowel disease.
Anderson JL, Edney RJ, Whelan K.
SourceDiabetes and Nutritional Sciences Division, School of Medicine, King's College London, London, UK.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: The intestinal microbiota is involved in the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has been used for the management of IBD as well as infectious diarrhoea.

AIM: To undertake a systematic review of FMT in patients with IBD.

METHODS: The systematic review followed Cochrane and PRISMA recommendations. Nine electronic databases were searched in addition to hand searching and contacting experts. Inclusion criteria were reports (RCT, nonrandomised trials, case series and case reports) of FMT in patients with IBD.

RESULTS: Of the 5320 articles identified, 17 fulfilled the inclusion criteria, none of which were controlled trials. There were nine case series/case reports of patients receiving FMT for management of their IBD, and eight where FMT was for the treatment of infectious diarrhoea in IBD. These 17 articles reported on 41 patients with IBD (27 UC, 12 Crohn's, 2 unclassified) with a follow-up period of between 2 weeks and 13 years. Where reported, FMT was administered via colonoscopy/enema (26/33) or via enteral tube (7/33). In patients treated for their IBD, the majority experienced a reduction of symptoms (19/25), cessation of IBD medications (13/17) and disease remission (15/24). There was resolution of C. difficile infection in all those treated for such (15/15).

CONCLUSIONS: Whilst the available evidence is limited and weak, it suggests that FMT has the potential to be an effective and safe treatment for IBD, at least when standard treatments have failed. Well-designed randomised controlled trials are required to investigate these findings.

© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.

PMID:22827693[PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Here's one anecdotal report on the web of someone having at least a degree of short-term success apparently, along with a mention of a doctor in Portland, OR, who might be able to assist with this sort of thing.

http://www.ibdsupport.org/forums/topic/144250-fecal-transplant/

Fecal Transplant A cure? #1 Tucker

Group:
Members Posts:
10 Joined:
02-June 12 City:portland Country:United States Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

After suffering from UC since 1977, i appear to be in complete remission after undergoing fecal transplant therapy.

A friend who is a GI doc told me about fecal transplant as a future possible treatment. I researched it for a couple of months and it seemed to be very low risk and fairly affordable.

I found a friend who was willing to donate his stool, had a doctor order labs to test his stool for pathogens, etc. and evaluate the results of the tests. My friend passed the tests.

I then purchased a blender, strainer and enema bulb, stool collector Each morning after passing a stool my friend called me and i picked up the package and added some distilled water to the poop and blended it, strained it and poured it in the enema.

i did this for 10 days. I showed much improvement, but after eating some food that in the past has been challenging for me, i got worse. So i decided to do the full treatment.

the full treatment involves taking antibiotics for 10 days or so, to kill all gut flora. Then on the last day prior to FT, going on a liquid diet and flushing out your bowels with a laxative.

I then did 12 fecal transplants. The antibiotics and flushing out made my bowels irritated and raw. But in a few days i began to improve. I now have one or two fully formed stools per day.
i each what I want and feel completely normal. I am no longer on Remicade, i am phasing out asacol and 6mp. This was 6 weeks ago.

I want to spread the word that this treatment works for a very high percentage of folks who try it. 75% or more.

you do not necessarily need a doctor, what you need is clean stool. Some people have been cured without the antibiotics.

if you are uncomfortable doing this on your own, or do not have access to a stool donor, there is a doctor in portland oregon Dr Mark Davis that can assist you.

Tucker

Dr. Borody is one of the few doctors who has actually done one heck of a lot of research into intestinal disease. More importantly, he actually applies what he learns into actual treatments for Crohn's and other intestinal disease.

I admire him a lot for his work.

Dan