• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site.....

but I'd really appreciate some advice. I first noticed bleeding from my rectum 9 months ago and after 2 weeks I made my first visit to the local doctors. He gave me haemmoroid cream and sent me on my way.
Used the cream but no change so went back 3 weeks later and was referred to hospital for a colonoscopy. Had that done along with biopsies and returned 5 weeks after for the results.
Results were inconclusive so was prescribed mesalazine for 1 month. went back another 2 months after that and told consultant that nothings really changed so he gave me more mesalazine.
Anyway...nothings really changed..I've been bleeding almost constantly for 9 months now....the doctors dont seem to know whats wrong as they say its some kind of inconclusive inflammatory bowel problem that they have no evidence of, only what I've told them. I've had no weight loss but I'm feeling tired a lot. I'm due to go back to the hospital in another 6 weeks.
Should I be more insistent with the doctors or is this the usual treatment?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi karloszoo and welcome to the forum! :D

First off, no that's not normal treatment. Do you actually have hemorrhoids or did they just assume without checking?

Have they done any blood work or fecal tests? Since the scope didn't find anything then they should be doing other tests like an endoscopy, small bowel follow through, CT scan, MRI or MRE etc. There are so many tests they could do to find out the cause.

I bet you're feeling tired from all that blood loss along with possible dehydration and being low or deficient in some nutrients.

Yes you need to be more insistent with the doctors. You need help now, not 6 weeks from now.

I'm not sure how things work over there but do you not have a GI doc of your own or do you just see a random one at the hospital?

Welcome to the forum!! :D Sorry you 'have' to come here but it is amazing for support/advice.

What cream were you RX? If there is rectum inflammation present & inflammation in the perianal area I know of many treatment options for it. If your doctors won't RX steroid suppositories/creams for short term use I would ask about a lidocaine gel/cream. At least that could help with pain in the mean time. If inflammation is present & no signs of infection I don't see why you can't get a RX for steroid enemas/suppositories. That will knock put inflammation. If you are bleeding heavily, especially of your dehydrated, go to the ER. Maybe that will also speed up the DX process. Unfortunately, all doctors can do sometimes is wait and see. Legally, not many doctors will treat IBD if there is not a diagnosis. Hang in there! Waiting is one of the most frustrating parts of this disease.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

My friends above covered pretty much everything I was going to say but wanted to welcome you and echo what was said. Get in to see doctors and don't accept them pushing you away. Demand they do what is necessary to get you a proper diagnosis.

We're here for you!