• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns...

:uk_flag: Hi, I have had Crohns Disease for 30 years, had resections then a right hemi-colectomy 20 years ago. I suffered with adhesions, obstructions, fistulas etc following the operations ('normal' side effects). I still get pain, bloating, malnutrition, dehydration and have constant diarrhoea within a short time of eating but presently the Crohns Disease is inactive. I also have hypothyroid problem. I have psychological issues about my condition and get very depressed and stressed but I do manage to work part time.
I recently underwent tests to diagnose why I have constant watery diarrhoea; result is Bile Acid Malabsorption (BAM)(again, a common side effect of hemi-colectomy). My weight is currently down to 7st (98lb/44.5kg) and I am exhausted. I hope the new meds will alleviate the problem. :yfaint:

Angrybird

Hello Christine and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear about the continueing problems you have had, I will certainly be keeping fingers crossed that your new meds can improve things for you. Out of interest what have you been given? Have you been on any other treatment for your crohns since the ops?

AB
xx

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum Christine!

I am sorry to hear about all of your health troubles. Hopefully the new medication will be helpful.

I am sure you have learned a lot about Crohn's over the past 30 years so feel free to share your experiences. We are here for any other support or informational needs you also have, so don't feel shy to post!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Christine and welcome :)

Wow, you've been through so much, you poor thing :(

*hugs*

With all those surgeries and the malabsorption, have they tested your vitamin B12, vitamin D, folate, and magnesium levels? If so, are you deficient in any?

And have they suggested a treatment for the bile acid malabsorption?

Again, welcome! Were here for you.

Hi Christine!you feel like my other self!!:) I have exactly the same symptoms and my last surgery was December 2011..I know it's exhausting and I am so sorry you are having such a rough time of it!!i applaud you for working part time!that is a huge accomplishment..I haven't been able to work since 2002 but I am beginning to apply for jobs again and a hoping to be able to start soon.
I have poor bile absorption too..I'm curious. Do you still have your gallbladder?i do but for how long I'm not sure. My bum feels like its been sandpapered down from the bile. I was recently put on a medicine for..get this..constipation!!i go nonstop but my gi doctor feels I am having overflow diarrhea..but I dot think so at this point. I know my body pretty well so I'll go by what I feel is happening within reason.
I,too have B12 deficiency and chronic anemia. My pcp told me I had the lowest vitamin d level he had ever seen..woohoo!:) so I take b12 injections,magnesium, vitamin d and do iron infusions once every three months or so. I can always tell I'm anemic when I eat ice obsessively, my legs jerk all night, and I feel like every little thing I do is a huge undertaking.
I want you to know you aren't alone in the depression front either! I try to be positive and when I find I am spiraling down..I do 3 things that give me joy each day. Sounds insignificant and silly but it's really working!i also make a gratitude list..even of its having all my toes and fingers.
I would think your weakened condition and poor absorption of what you do eat doesn't help your depression one bit. Have they ever talked about tpn or enteral feedings?sounds like you could use some nutrition.
I do hope you feel better soon!:heart:

Hi there,
I'm pretty new to this forum, only posted a few times.
I've just been for an update at the hospital this week and since my MRI scan and endoscopy can back ok, my bloods show higher bile acid than normal, so I've been diagnosed with Bile Acid Malabsorption this week. I've to get a further breath test to confirm the diagnoses, but I've to take sachets from now on. Do you guys take Questran? I hear its disgusting :(
Could be worse I suppose.
I've also suffered from depression since 2007 so I know how you guys must feel sometimes.
Hope to hear from some of you soon.
Take care.