• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Great News!!

My son Jason who is 16 was diagnosed 6-8-12 with Crohn's. We have learned that it is only in his cecum and ileum. At his dr appt yesterday, the prednisone worked on knocking down his symptoms and he is currently medication free!!! YIPPEE!!! :thumright: After reading soooo many your posts, I am so grateful as this point. He has only taken the prednisone. I know only time will tell what's in store for him down the road. We will take it one day at a time. We don't go back to the dr for 6 months unless he has a flare up.

Our dr did say he needs to avoid seeds and nuts and to make sure that he chews his food. His ileum was inflamed on the barium xrays and he's not sure if it was irritation or scar tissue. But the rest of the digestive tract looks good. So he is also absorbing the nutrients that he should be.

It's just so nice to get some good news once in a while!!!:dance:

David

Co-Founder
That's great that his symptoms are gone!

:banana:

But am I understanding correctly that he has active inflammation in his ileum but he is medication free and won't be seen by the doctor for 6 months? Other than the no nuts and chew your food, he isn't only any sort of treatment, dietary changes, etc?

kiny

I think the same as David. If he has active inflammation (I am assuming), going off medication completely is a huge gamble. Inflammation on it's own doesn't tend to go down, you need to get it down with something and control it. You can still choose light medication like pentasa or herbs or probiotics or whatever works for him, but you need something to control the inflammation or it's going to be out of control in a matter of months.

You can't just do nothing and think it's going to stay gone, it's not, it's going to come back if you don't control it, I know from personal experience, you need .. something.

Crohn in children is much more severe on average than in people who get it between 18-30, the younger the person is who gets crohn the harder the disease seems to manifest itself.

You need to keep taps on inflammation with blood test too so you know what's going on.