• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns Colitis

I was diagnosed two years ago, but reading up on the symptoms, I probably had this a lot longer.

Symptoms for me, when a flare-up is mucus and blood in my stool, and my stool is very very loose. Not (always) D. Also, I'll get a massive painful urge, but then when I go, my evacuation is not more than a pebble.

Had a Colonoscopy two years ago, and Dr. told me I have Crohns Colitis. I have read up on Crohns, but have not found (much?) on Crohns Colitis. Does anyone else have this diagnosis?

I'm on Lialda, anywhere from 1 to 4 tablets a day (Dr. said I could go down in dose when I was feeling better).

Currently in massive flareup, and just found out that my Dr. doesn't take my new insurance. So, I have to find someone new.

A new symptom this time around is a pain on my left side, right below the rib cage. When i'm walking around/sitting around it doesn't bother me. When I lay down (especially on my left side, but also on my back /right side), the pain is unbearable, and wakes me up. As a result, I have been getting no more than 4 hours of sleep a night. And poor sleep at that.

Toine

Last edited:
Crohn's Colitis is actually one of the most common places to have Crohn's. Colitis is just a description of where your inflammation is-The colon.

Are you on Prednisone? It can cause gastritis(inflammation of stomach)and give you the symptoms your talking about. I have Crohn's in a lot of places, stomach included, and prednisone just makes it worse!!! Your GI can RX you Prilosec, Zantac and Carafate if everything else fails. The Carafate coats your stomach.

I have been flaring for a few years do I feel your pain. Hope you get sorted out soon poor thing :( This forum is a great place for info & support! Welcome :)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear that you are flaring at the moment and on top of that now have to find a new doc :(

How long have you had this current flare and had you changed the dose of the Lialda leading up to it? I am just wondering if perhaps this may not now be a strong enough med to keep the tum settled.

As you have to find a new GI are you able to see your GP in the meantime so they can perhaps start running some tests to confirm what is going on?

Also with your stools are you finding that you have D or would you say you are more constipated?

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi Toine and welcome :)

Finding a new doctor may actually be a blessing in disguise. I say that because if the only medication that your doctor had you on in Lialda, then I would have suggested a second opinion anyway. Lialda isn't even approved for Crohn's disease, just Ulcerative Colitis. As because it only works topically and Crohn's can be the entire width of the bowel, it's usually not sufficient to properly treat the disease.

With the new symptoms, I'm thinking a thorough workup by the new doctor will be in order.

We're here for you!

Yes, she had a recommendation for another GI. I have a tradeshow starting next week, so after that, I'll be seeing him.

Dr. Richard Eichel in New Jersey. Anyone heard of him?

Thanks,

Toine

Last edited:

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I was diagnosed two years ago, but reading up on the symptoms, I probably had this a lot longer.

Symptoms for me, when a flare-up is mucus and blood in my stool, and my stool is very very loose. Not (always) D. Also, I'll get a massive painful urge, but then when I go, my evacuation is not more than a pebble.

Had a Colonoscopy two years ago, and Dr. told me I have Crohns Colitis. I have read up on Crohns, but have not found (much?) on Crohns Colitis. Does anyone else have this diagnosis?

Toine
I also have crohn's colitis and my flares are very similar to yours. However, I also tend to break into a random fever at the start of my flare (usually 101 - 103 degrees) which then radiates to my lower back/abdomen area for a short period of time before completely disappearing.

I take asacol regularly and just finished my 2nd Prednisone taper for my 2nd flare ever. Next time around I will almost definitely be trying a new type of med instead of the prednisone.