View Poll Results: How has being ill with Crohn's or UC affected your mental health?
I have never suffered from depression or anxiety. 6 8.11%
I suffered from depression/anxiety before I was ill - my illness has not made it worse. 9 12.16%
I suffered from depression/anxiety before I was ill - my illness has made it worse. 20 27.03%
I have suffered from depression/anxiety since becoming ill. 39 52.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

08-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
hannah-rose
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Crohn's and Depression

Since becoming unwell/being diagnosed with Crohn's or UC, have you experienced any mental health issues such as anxiety or depression?

Diagnosed 2011
Current meds: 6MP and Pentasa
Previous meds: Infliximab, Humira, Azathioprine
08-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I experienced depression only occasionally before ill. Now, fighting for surgery, off and on illness, all of it, well it gets to all of us sometimes.
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
08-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Z_Ghost

My Support Groups:
When the Chron's gets bad it sure can get you down at times.
08-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
rygon

My Support Groups:
I feel down some days, did get worse when I felt really ill but I wouldnt class it as depression
08-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
There are many days I just wanna break down and cry because it seems so unfair that people have so much energy to go out, eat and live life and im weak in pain and need to be in the bathroom. It's anxiety provoking because I never know when the disease will strike.
08-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
hannah-rose
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've felt sad and down because of my illness before, more recently as its become apparent that this isn't something that's going to go away easily, I've been feeling quite depressed and am struggling to find the positives in life. I went to see my GP who has recommended an online cbt course and has been very supportive. Before if I felt down I quickly picked myself up again because I knew life was within my control, but now it feels like it's not which is harder to cope with.
08-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #7
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Definitely after diagnosis. I've attempted suicide twice (ages 13 and 17) because I couldn't cope. Seen many psychologists and psychiatrists over the years. Developed panic disorder a few years ago during remission at the beginning of grad school. Life isn't easy but there are many ways to get through it.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel (endometriosis), Tylenol 3 (Osteoarthritis), Zantac 150mg 2/day (acid reflux), Klonopin 1mg (Panic Disorder), Imitrex 25mg (migraines), Zofran 8mg (nausea)
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 19 years and counting.
07-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #8
Kgary7

Some days I feel like my life has been taken away from me. I want to be mad and everything around me. I want to blame god. I have to remind myself that I am strong and this can't brake me. For anyone who feel like they can't keep going remember you are so much stronger then this. Keep fighting and keep living.
10-31-2015, 11:41 PM   #9
tincho_lavie

My Support Groups:
I suffered from depression/anxiety before I was ill - my illness has not made it worse.
It was tough, but excluding particular situations I wouldn't say it made it worse.
11-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wasnt diagnosed yet at the time but ihave suffered depression earlier in life. i get weepy sometimes since then.