• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and Depression

How has being ill with Crohn's or UC affected your mental health?

• I have never suffered from depression or anxiety.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • I suffered from depression/anxiety before I was ill - my illness has not made it worse.

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • I suffered from depression/anxiety before I was ill - my illness has made it worse.

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • I have suffered from depression/anxiety since becoming ill.

Votes: 39 52.7%

• Total voters
Since becoming unwell/being diagnosed with Crohn's or UC, have you experienced any mental health issues such as anxiety or depression?

Terriernut

I experienced depression only occasionally before ill. Now, fighting for surgery, off and on illness, all of it, well it gets to all of us sometimes.

rygon

I feel down some days, did get worse when I felt really ill but I wouldnt class it as depression

nogutsnoglory

There are many days I just wanna break down and cry because it seems so unfair that people have so much energy to go out, eat and live life and im weak in pain and need to be in the bathroom. It's anxiety provoking because I never know when the disease will strike.

I've felt sad and down because of my illness before, more recently as its become apparent that this isn't something that's going to go away easily, I've been feeling quite depressed and am struggling to find the positives in life. I went to see my GP who has recommended an online cbt course and has been very supportive. Before if I felt down I quickly picked myself up again because I knew life was within my control, but now it feels like it's not which is harder to cope with.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Definitely after diagnosis. I've attempted suicide twice (ages 13 and 17) because I couldn't cope. Seen many psychologists and psychiatrists over the years. Developed panic disorder a few years ago during remission at the beginning of grad school. Life isn't easy but there are many ways to get through it.

Some days I feel like my life has been taken away from me. I want to be mad and everything around me. I want to blame god. I have to remind myself that I am strong and this can't brake me. For anyone who feel like they can't keep going remember you are so much stronger then this. Keep fighting and keep living.

I suffered from depression/anxiety before I was ill - my illness has not made it worse.
It was tough, but excluding particular situations I wouldn't say it made it worse.

I wasnt diagnosed yet at the time but ihave suffered depression earlier in life. i get weepy sometimes since then.