• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello Everyone!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and I'm truly excited to have found a support system!

I had surgery in 1987 to remove a grapefruit sized abscess along with my appendix. I suffered until 2000 when I was FINALLY diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. Between 1987 & 2000 I bounced around to doctors and was diagnosed with everything from depression (really? maybe because of the unending pain, fatigue and lack of sleep? Ya think? lol...) to chronic fatigue, with sinus infections, anemia and hemorrhoids thrown in for good measure. I've been in the hospital many times, previously took Pentasa, and am currently on azathioprine/Imuran and pantoprazole. And of course, TPN and prednisone... who says diamonds are a girls best friend?!?!

When I was finally diagnosed, I felt relief. I wasn't crazy, or depressed, or imagining things. I was sick! Whew! Now that's something I can work with... wait... what? No cure?! Relief quickly turned to anger. And somewhere along the line, anger turned to acceptance. I deal with my disease, get frustrated sometimes because my body defies me, and I try to eat my safe foods. I'm grateful that my CD is not worse, and that I have friends and family that support me. I sometimes struggle with the embarrassment that comes with this disease, and people trying, but not understanding, the emotional toll.

I joined this forum to learn from others and to both get & give support. I'm looking forward to interacting with my Crohnies!!! (I know, it's terrible, but I do love a bad pun!) =)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum, I am glad you have decided to join :)

How long have you been on the Pred, is this because you have had a recent flare up? How are you doing now symptom wise?

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi Rhonda, thank you for joining and sharing your story! I'm sorry it took you so long to get a diagnosis though :( You poor thing. That must have been so frustrating.

How are you feeling these days? Have you out of curiosity had your vitamin B12, vitamin D, folate, and magnesium levels tested? Those are vitamins and minerals that people with Crohn's are commonly deficient in.

Which foods have you cut out like you mentioned?

I wish you all the best!

Thanks for the replies!!

AngryBird - Sorry, I misspoke a bit - I've been on the pred. & TPN previously for a flare up. Knock on wood, it's been several years since I've needed either! The prednisone is always hard for me to get off of, the worst was when I was on a low dose for almost 2 years. I think I had every side effect - it was horrible. I'm still fighting to get rid of the weight I put on.

David - I'm on prescription vitamin D, and have been on vitamin B12 shots in the past. I don't know about the other two - I will be making note to ask my doctor at my next appointment! Foods I have cut out... whole grains, popcorn, almost all fresh fruits & veggies - when I'm feeling ok I can have a bit of cooked spinach or fresh mango. I gave up carrots & apples before I was diagnosed. Juices w/out pulp seem to be ok. I joke with my friends that what's unhealthy for the body is what I can eat - pasta, white bread, cheese, eggs. I noticed that there were some additives listed that certain people can't have - I'm going to have to make note of those & start reading boxes.

I'm so grateful for this forum - I know that every case is different, but it's a great sharing mechanism and I look forward to learning from everyone!

David

Co-Founder
You stopped taking the B12 supplements? Have you been tested since stopping?

I'm glad you're enjoying the forum, we'd pleased to have you here :)