• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Experiences with juicing/juices

nogutsnoglory

I am flaring and have experimented with juicing and buying juices with no other ingredients.

I am wondering if all the natural sugar is feeding the bad bacteria and hurting me. Today I have only had juice and I'm still in pain.

Now I'm thinking maybe this is not the answer. I don't know anymore I give up.

The key for me and juicing is to use VERY little natural sugars (i.e fruits) when juicing. I remember reading the rule is 80% veggie and 20% fruit juice. I usually try to keep it even lower than that as far as the fruits.

Do you make your own juice? If so, maybe try cutting the fruits a bit. But don't give up quite yet, it takes awhile to find the right combo. I found that lemon and/or lime work excellently to cut the yuck of the veggie juice.

If you cut the fruits/sugars and it still isn't working, maybe juicing doesn't work for you during a flare. Or maybe just smaller amounts of juice when flaring.

Gianni

Hi there, Juicing has been a life saver for me. Being diagnosed with severe crohn's two years ago, and adopting a raw vegan diet and a regular juice regiment i can now say i am completely symptom free and i recently had a colonoscopy and there was no evidence of the disease.

Going off of what "ThanksP" said it is important to have a strong majority towards vegetables. The only fruits i juice are apples and an occasional orange/ papaya. But for the most part i do strong veggie juices and further more i stick to dark greens (i.e. kale, collard greens, spinach) to help mask the taste you can use lemon or lime but i find ginger to be the best masker. I used to hate ginger but now i crave it:)! Don't give up on juicing your way to health! it is the answer to a healthier you without the burden of Crohn's not these chemicals that doctors push!

Goodluck

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Sarah juices daily but does not juice fruits due the concentration of sugars that occur when you do. The only fruit she does juice is lemon and she normally adds ginger as well. Her mainstay veges are carrots, spinach, kale and beetroot and she usually adds ice.

Dusty. :)

I have found its best to also sieve out any pulp from your juice as it acts as fibre, also I find its best to only have one glass a day .
My daily juice is usualy 4 carrots, one apple (two if they are small) one piece of cellery and a chunk of ginger.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Sarah is in remission and is a vegan and has now moved to raw vegan. For her fruit and veg has not been an issue.

Dusty. :)

I can eat raw fruits and some raw veggies when in remission. But I still don't push it too much so I don't eat nuts and am careful with very tough, raw veggies.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Does anyone have any suggestions with regards to types of veggie/fruit blends to create in a juicer? I definitely would like to find recipes that are mostly (flavorful/tolerable) vegetable ingredients.

I have been pondering investing in a juicer and trying juicing every other day or so just to allow my body a break from digestion.