• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's story

Hello all, my name is Aimee. I am 19 years old and I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease almost two years ago. It seems like every day is a battle of some sort living with CD. I have had two colonoscopies, PillCam endoscopy, CT Enterography and a cat scan. I have been hospitalized twice, and I have failed past treatments and am currently not on any medication to control my disease. My doctors idea of treatment is 8 months on Vicodin and now I am on Tramadol(50mg) and Norco(325mg). My last conolonoscopy back in December of 2011 showed a significant amount of inflammation in the terminal illeum. I also had a polypectomy. I was in a lot of pain after the polypectomy. My doctor had talked to me about starting on biologics after my colonoscopy and when I went back for my follow up he had told me there were no signs of CD, and told me to come back in 6 months. Does anyone else have issue with their GI doctor. It seems like I can't ever get a straight answer from him as to what is going on inside... My crohns disease has been flared up for about a month now and in the past week I have had to go to the emergency room for internal bleeding.
The hardest part of having Crohn's Disease in my experience is none of my family understands what I have to go through on a daily basis. I get overwhelmed and fustrated. If anyone can provide me with support, I would really appreciate it. :)

Hi Aimee. I am so sorry to hear all that you are going through. For years my family didn't understand either. This forum is a God send, so many people here going through the same thing.
Have you thought about getting a second opinion? You can take the results of previous tests with you. Sometimes a different perspective helps
I wish you well...Cheryl

Had active Chron's for 8 years now, had 4 GI docs in that time, the first 2 were not worth the time and pain I waisted on them. The last 2 (they work together) have helped me out a lot and I'm glad I found them.
They started me on Humira almost a month ago and it has made a big difference in my life.
The first 2 only wanted to give me Asacol and I had to fight them to get any help with the pain.

If I were you I would not wait any longer then you have to in finding a new GI doc.
You might also find post on here about other people dealing with Chron's and get some of your Family to read them, maybe that will help.

I meant to add that to my post, I am going to look into seeing a different GI doctor if my appointment doesn't go well tomorrow. I'm so tired of going in circles with my GI I have now. He's very nice and all but he isn't getting me the help I need, he jut wants to keep doing colonoscopies. :(
Thank you guys!!

Plus, I honestly think doctors don't understand how rough a colonoscopy is on a CD patient or even IBD patients altogether.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community.

There are SO MANY good gastroenterologists out there. It sounds like you rolled craps on yours though. I agree with you 100%. If you don't feel completely comfortable with how your checkup tomorrow goes, find a new GI. There's too many good ones for you to bother with a bad one.

Please keep us updated as to how you're doing!

The GI I see now is the only one I have seen. He diagnosed me with CD in April 2011, and I have it on paper as my diagnosis. I have seen about 5 other general doctors and they all are sure it's CD. They don't specialize in GI so of course they can't do more than give me a prescription form pain relievers.