• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Maybe Crohn's? in need of some advice

hello all im 25 male and from the united kingdom about a year and a half ago my sister was diagnosed with Crohn's disease recently well about 25 days ago now i had unusual bowel movements and was going up too 8 times a day then it sort have died off sometimes only twice a day and then the next day possibly 5 you get the idea lol but i went too have a sigdnomy done and am awaiting my biopsy results and bloods are ok i think the last few days i have been feeling really bloated and feeling i need to have a bowel movement but never do i just find it unusual that ive been going for this many times a day and then today ive not been once yet and its now 18.00hrs, can anyone shed some light on why this may be? the doctor thinks i have Crohn's but until i get me results back its not cert i have never really experienced any abdominal pain just some discomfort i have had blood in my stools for 2 weeks now sometimes very mucussy and stringy if anyone can shed some light i would appreciate it all speak soon :ybiggrin:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

When are you due to see the doc to get the biospy results? Did they say what they saw during the scope? Have you changed anything with regards to what you are eating? Would you say you have previously or now felt any pain in your tummy especially with not 'going' for the last few hours? Do you have any other symptoms? Will leave the questions there for now!

AB
xx

Hello :ysmile: first of all thanks for replying :biggrin: i am hopefully getting my biopsy results next week they was unsure wether to admit me or not then decided to let me go and said i will be getting my biopsy results sometime next week im unsure wether ill have to go to the hospital to get the results or wether they will ring me or my gp? lol he never said he see anything from what i see him using i didnt see a screen and im due to go for a endoscopy in about 2 weeks time so i assume i will find out something then? i havent really changed many eating habits i dont feel as if i have been that affected that much last night i did eat a plate full of pasta with a tomato dolmio stir in so i dont know if the pasta as clogged me up and to wether the food im eating will affect me later on the doc did say i was extremely inflamed and have been put on steroids for two weeks 32mg first week reduced to 16 in the second i think, ive had a little pain and my tummy looks as if it is swollen but the pain as been nothing to be honest more of a mild bloated pain, other symptoms i have definately more veins showing up around my body and a lot paler skin also ive had some swelling of joints but not painful very weak legs at time and stiff in the morning also fatigue and tierdness but this is all part and parcel i think, i appreciate you replying :biggrin:

Angrybird

No worries hun. What you are experiencing can occur in people with an IBD. Can you recall the name of the steroid you have been given? What you have mentioned above seems a quick taper down. Was it your GP who has been requesting these tests of a gastroenterologist? You should really be given a proper follow up appt so you can discuss the results of the tests you are having, also just to confirm the upcoming test you have is that where they are going to put a scope down your throat?

yes they said it looks like ibd i know there different types i.e chrohns and ulceritus im asuming its more likely going to be chrohns considering my sister has this, the steroids i am on are prednisolene 5mg tablets my gp refered me to the hospital which then i see a gastroenterologist and he has requested i have a endoscopy but has not said which end lol but i assume i will have to go back to the hospital for a follow up appointment but i have heard nothing as yet

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

With your sister having Crohn's and with your symptoms, there is indeed a decent chance you have some sort of IBD :( Let's hope that it's something more acute though!

Please keep us updated as to how you're doing and what the biopsy results come back saying.

We're here for you!

Angrybird

It might be an appt will come after your next test, I would chase this up if you have not heard something soon - you need to be able to have a proper discussion with the GI doc about the results.

thankyou both :) i have just recieved my letters through the post its a colonscopy so will see what shows up then thats on the 8th of september i will chase the results up after bank hol monday i reckon? doesnt sound to pushy i dont think i had the biopsy done a week ago now so i suppose it could be towards the end of next week thankyou for your input though and i will keep you posted :)

Angrybird

Whilst not the most pleasant of things a colonoscopy can be really good at showing what is going on inside, they usually take biopsies during this scope so the docs should hopefully have plenty of info to helps towards a definitive diagnosis for you.

Please do keep us updated.

hello again, i have a question if anybody can help i have been taking prednisolone for the last two weeks first week 30mg and then down to 20mg and now i have no more tablets, i have still not heard anything about the biopsy results and i have phoned the secretary of my gastro gp and explained that i have no more tablets and that i still display some symptoms but she said the doc is on holiday and that i would have to wait till next week my question is can i just come off these steroids just like that? i have spoken to my gp too who said they faxed the hospital but no one replied back any advice will be appreciated :) i just thought that you needed to be taken off steroids slowly maybe im wrong?

Angrybird

As far as I am aware it is not good to stop from that dosage to nothing, there should be someone at the GI's office who can sort a prescription out (one of their registrar's for example) or the GP should. I would keep bugging them and get a bit stoppy if need be.

no i didnt think it was from what i have read i have already had side effects from the steroids such as moon face and puffiness round hips, knees and other parts too the only good thing about them is that they make me feel awake and energise me. i have just been back to the surgery and explained to the receptionist and she as opened another case file and is going to try and push for answers the registrar of my gi didnt really want to know she just said that the consultant is on annual leave and that ill have to wait till she is back and my gp is on holiday and another doctor cannot authorise the prescription because peterborough wont fax back anything even though my surgery have faxed through twice, bit frustrated really not knowing what is going on and now im out of predinosolne that my symptoms will worsen and also the withdrawal symptoms of the drug itself hopefully ill have some answers soon :)

well i have spoken to my gp and i am too discontinue my steroids and wait for my colonospopy which is a week away so at least i know that this is ok, although i am still swollen i can see i am just looking at my abdomenen i am worried that my symptoms are going to creep back but we shall see

Angrybird

If the things are not so great by the tie you have your colonoscopy you could always ask the doc who does the procedure if they can sort you out a prescription - I did this last year when I had a big flare up and another scope done right before christmas.