• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Finally leaving a post

Okay here goes! I have been following the site for almost two years but never had the courage to join. So today I joined. :ysmile:
I was diagnosed 6 years ago after having emergency surgery. I spent about 4 years before that going in and out of doctor's offices trying to find out what was wrong with me. The surgery was successful for about two months to be honest. And then it all kind of gradually built back up to the same old pain, bathroom runs, etc... I must say that while I was pregnant both times I felt great!
I recently moved due to my husband's job transfer. I have now found myself out of a job and out of health insurance as well. I don't know how many of you have tried to get health insurance with Crohn's...don't get me started! Let's just say I haven't been successful. I even got a letter that stated I was rejected, "due to Crohn's". :stinks:
So, here I am at home with a almost two year old, a ten year old in school and hanging on for dear life to the small amount of med's I have left. I have started feeling some new pains in the last week and cannot seem to make my belly happy no matter what I eat these days.

Thanks for letting me vent! Feels good to "talk" to people that understand!:heart:

Your new pal,
swirlygirl

Hi swirlygirl,
I am sorry to hear that you are having a rough time as of late. But you are awesome for joining the forum!! :)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Out of interest what meds have you been on for your crohns and were they keeping the tum settled?If you don't mind be asking what type surgery did you have to have? Does you hubby have insurance through his work? If so is there a facility for you to be added on to this as a spouse or as they oneof the companies that have turned you down?

Glad you have decided to now join and share you story :)

AB
xx

Thanks Amanda and Angrybird.

@Angrybird-
I had a ileocecal resection and appendix removed. My hubby's insurance is VERY expensive, but we decided to bite the bullet and just budget, but were recently told that I can't be added until June 2013. :-( As far as meds, been on a few over the years: 6_MP, lomotil, Humira, vitamins, and more. Nothing actually seemed to "help", but it was better then the way I am now. :-(

Tried....Have to tell you I am really discouraged right now! These companies are acting like I have the plague! I can't even play with my children the way I would like to right now...get more sad by the day. Birthday coming up this week....actually forgot about it until my daughter mentioned it. :-(

David

Co-Founder
Hi swirlygirl and welcome :)

As you're having trouble with insurance, here's some ideas until you can finally get on it that can help keep things at bay.
- Dietary changes - Enteral/elemental nutrition, [wiki]paleo diet[/wiki], or [wiki]specific carbohydrate diet[/wiki]. Juicing is also growing on me a lot.
- Hydration - Dehydration and loss of electrolytes is common. Proper hydration and adding electrolytes back in can help you a lot.
- Alternative treatments - I'm a fan of Low Dose Naltrexone. Two studies in adults have had great results (see the stuck thread in when following that link) and there are very few side effects. It's also not very expensive.
Medical marijuana has been shown to help a lot as well if that's something you're comfortable with and is legally available in your area.
- Stress reduction. Do whatever it takes to reduce your stress levels. In addition, a weekly or even monthly massage if funds are tight is great. Studies have actually shown that massage can reduce inflammation. Give yourself self-massages as often as possible in between the professional ones.
- Exercise if you're able - a gentle yoga is a good one :)
- Vitamins and minerals - find out which you're deficient in and properly supplement. People with Crohn's disease are commonly deficient in vitamin B12, vitamin D, folate, and magnesium as well as a host of others. But those four first ones should definitely be checked.
- Supplements - there are a variety that help improve overall health. Check our our diet/fitness/supplements forum for ideas.
- Alternative medicine - This could be stuff like acupuncture, including a naturopath in your treatment team, etc.

When you get a doctor, bring them in on the conversation for all of this. Get their input and let them help supervise your disease state. Some doctors might need a little push on some of this stuff, but we can provide studies that showcase the efficacy of all the above.

I am guessing you have to wait until "open enrollment", not fun at all. We were without ins for a year and thats when this latest flare started. I hope to not be in that position again!

lauren

Make sure when you get a doctor that you follow the doctors orders. None of the alternative medicines worked for me. I am on Imuran now and it is the best I have felt since 1988.

Welcome to the forum:)

I just did a bit of research for you and this is what I found out with regards to a state insurance plan for you:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Starting in 2010, Georgia started offering health care insurance coverage to residents through the federally established temporary high-risk pool program. To find out more about Georgia's participation, click here.

Risk pools are state-sponsored programs to help people with a history of medical problems in their family to purchase coverage. These pools are for people who can afford to buy health insurance, but are not able to get underwritten in the private market because of a pre-existing health condition. These programs can vary significantly from state to state in price, benefits and number of people served. Often insurance companies doing business in the state are required to contribute to the pool to keep it in the black. In the best cases, they allow people to be able to switch jobs or become self-employed without the fear of losing their health insurance coverage. Read more about risk pools here.

You might want to look into this, and contact them.

Thanks Tenacity! Just sent in my application for the State sponsored program...along with a copy of a denial letter from an insurance company.

Thanks Tenacity! Just sent in my application for the State sponsored program...along with a copy of a denial letter from an insurance company.
Excellent! Let us know what happens! In the meantime, see if you can get hold of some LDN - very inexpensive - around a $1 per tablet.

David

Co-Founder
I agree with Tenacity, LDN is a very exciting treatment option in my opinion. Cheap, appears to have good success rates, and very few side effects.