• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for answers....

Hello! I know you all probably always give advice on this forum but I was hoping you might be able to give me a little more.

I have been having stomach problems my entire life but for the past month or two they have gotten severe.

I am having severe stomach pains in my lower abdomen after eating foods such as ground beef, full fat cream cheese (light is OK), ham sandwiches (i'm guessing either the ham or the mayo), bacon, steak and breaded chicken (grilled is OK). Basically, all I can eat are salads and bread.

If I eat any of the above, my pain varies depending on how much I ate. The more I eat, the more severe the pain. When the pain is the most severe, I throw up and then loose my appetite for hours. I have been trying to stay away from foods but it's hard because I don't really know what exactly is going to trigger a reaction.

Then last night I noticed that the joint of my middle finger on my left hand was swollen and red. I have been having a hard time bending it. I read that joint pains are also a symptom of Crohn's.

Basically, I am trying to diagnose myself and everything I have read has led me here. Please let me know if I am on the right track or am barking up the wrong tree. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday because originally, I thought it might be a gall bladder problem, but my pain isn't where my gall bladder is. I want to schedule a colonoscopy if the ultrasound shows nothing.

Any advice would be appreciated because I am sick of being in pain and unable to eat any food.

Thanks in advance.

I can't say for sure, because CD is a tricky illness, but to me it sounds like more of a problem with the stomach, but of course CD can occur in the stomach too!

You could have injured your finger without realising or as you think the two problems may be linked. My joint problems started out as a swollen arm soyou never know where these things may lead.

Personally I would recommened an upper endoscopy as well as a colonoscopy to have a look in there.

I honk star girl is right..an ultrasound can show things like gallstones,fluid filled cyssts..crohns is better diagnosed with upper and lower scopes..blood work may or may not show inflammation as well..get a consult to a good gi doctor if you are thinking it may be crohns

Hmmm, symptoms are a hard way to diagnose or assist.
Your diet requirements sounds about right for many illness's.
I have not been able to have dairy or red meat for the last 9 months of my life.
At first I thought It was a pathogen then i thought it was gluten intolerant - CD.
Then I thought it was crohns... Now I'm having a bone marrow biopsy and not looking forward to it.
My blood cells count - red blood cells = low, white blood = low platelette = low, IGE = high.
When I first joined this forum in march I had no idea I would be at where I am now....
Crohns/UC can only be proven via colonoscopy/biopsy.
Soon it may be a simple blood test.

Your finger joint being swollen could be a symptom of ankinlosing spondylitis however, this is usually with swollen ankles, majority of pain in your back, swollen wrists as well.

Meanwhile, you can try testing things yourself.
Start with a diet purely of - veg, fish, fruit. Nothing else.
Introduce different foods to test - one day introduce dairy or gluten etc.

Most importantly, keep an eye on your bloods.
EGI - presents, alergy or pathogen or disease.
Blood count - make sure it's not something bad.
HLA-B27 marker -
Iron,kidney function, coeliac test - this can be incorrect.
Lactose intolerance test - breath test - 4 hour test.

You will require a colonoscopy either way for bowel troubles.
Biopsy for crohns, coeliac, lactose intolerance count.

Do remember if you are testing for celiac you must continue the consumption of gluten before the test.

Ask for a referral to a rheumatologist for your finger etc.
Good luck