• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introduction/Rant

Hi everyone,

Well I am new here and I guess I'll just jump into it.
I'm 22 years old and was, I suppose, technically diagnosed in 2008 with Crohn's. The reason I was brought into the doctors to begin with was a sharp pain in my lower right abdominal area (near my hip bone) that I was experiencing for a few days.
I went in to see my primary doctor and they set me up with a CAT scan (might have been something other than CAT, I can't remember). Anyways, after that ordeal I went back to my primary doctor's office and according to my results from the scan I had Crohn's. Now, I was utterly shocked because my only knowledge of Crohn's was a family friend who was recently hospitalized for Crohn's. Needless to say, I was terrified. They gave me a shot to ease the pain.
Anyways, I was referred to a GI doctor and had a colonoscopy. The only thing he could tell me was that it "looked like crohn's." I was put on medication and I didn't experience a symptom since.

Shortly after I moved out of my parents house to go to college and for various reasons (in retrospect, stupidity), I stopped taking my medication and seeing my GI doctor. I didn't experience any symptoms until about 6 months ago. I started having the same sharp pain I had experienced before so I went to my new primary doctor (we had changed insurance). Based on my history they referred me to GI. For many different reasons I was unable to have a colonoscopy until last week and by then the pain had spread across my lower abdomen and at some points became completely intolerable.

The results of the recent colonoscopy were consistent with Crohn's (according to my GI doc). I guess I was hoping for better news but I figured as much. I was put on the same medication again (Pentasa) and now I am waiting until next week for a follow up appointment with my GI. Also, might I add, that the colonoscopy was a miserable experience. I was too nervous to fall asleep during the procedure and it hurt sooo much. The pain is still there (the results of the colonoscopy showed many ulcers and a lot of inflammation) and the pain killers I received from urgent care this past Sunday are no longer working.

I'm so tired of this pain, I'm so mad at myself for ever having stopped that medication. I'm mad at everyone else who isn't in pain all the time and can eat whatever they want because whenever I eat I feel like I'm dying from the intestines out. Not to mention that a blood test shows that I might also have Celiac disease. Fun. :|

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear that the Crohn's has come back with a vengeance :( That really stinks.

Were you only on Pentasa previously? Or something else? My guess is that they'll put you on something else. This is also an opportunity for you to hit the disease from all angles. For example:

- Western Medicine -Whatever your doctor puts you on.
- Dietary changes - Enteral/elemental nutrition, [wiki]paleo diet[/wiki], or [wiki]specific carbohydrate diet[/wiki]. Juicing is also growing on me a lot.
- Hydration - Dehydration and loss of electrolytes is common. Proper hydration and adding electrolytes back in can help you a lot.
- Alternative treatments - I'm a fan of Low Dose Naltrexone. Research it. Medical marijuana has been shown to help a lot as well if that's something you're comfortable with and is legally available in your area.
- Stress reduction. Do whatever it takes to reduce your stress levels. In addition, a weekly or even monthly massage if funds are tight is great. Studies have actually shown that massage can reduce inflammation. Give yourself self-massages as often as possible in between the professional ones.
- Exercise if you're able - a gentle yoga is a good one :)
- Vitamins and minerals - find out which you're deficient in and properly supplement. People with Crohn's disease are commonly deficient in vitamin B12, vitamin D, folate, and magnesium as well as a host of others. But those four first ones should definitely be checked.
- Supplements - there are a variety that help improve overall health. Check our our diet/fitness/supplements forum for ideas.
- Alternative medicine - This could be stuff like acupuncture, including a naturopath in your treatment team, etc.

Bring your doctor in on the conversation for all of this. Get their input and let them help supervise your disease state. Some doctors might need a little push on some of this stuff, but we can provide studies that showcase the efficacy of all the above.

Angrybird

David has already got things covered but I did just want to say 'hello' and welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for lots of helpful info and support :hug:

AB
xx