• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi All

Hi all.
I am new to the forum.
I was diagnosed with Crohn's a looong time ago by process of elimination.

Recently the diagnosis was confirmed after a lengthy remission.
I am coming to terms with this after having lived somewhat carefree for quite a while. Currently taking pred and imuran.

My biggest concerns at the moment are how will this impact my active lifestyle; how will the drugs impact my body/health; and whether I will be able to keep up with my two kids (5yr & 1yr).

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear that the tum has acted up on you, out of interest were you on any meds/certain diets whilst in remission?

The pred is usually used in the short term to hit inflammation and get the tum settled again, for most there is increased appetite and what we call the moon face where you face bloats out a bit. Others can find issues with acne, sleep and mood swings. Out of interest has you doc got you on a calcium supplement whilst on this?

With regards to the Imuran you should be on regular blood test so they can monitor things as this is an immunosuppressant so can effect you blood counts. This will be the maintainence med to keep the tum settled long term. I have been on it twice and both times it did a fab job for the tum but gave me issues elsewhere. For many though it has done good job long term.

We do have a treatment forum with plenty info about both for you to check out as well: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16. Out of interest was dosages are you on for these?

AB
xx

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear that the tum has acted up on you, out of interest were you on any meds/certain diets whilst in remission?

The pred is usually used in the short term to hit inflammation and get the tum settled again, for most there is increased appetite and what we call the moon face where you face bloats out a bit. Others can find issues with acne, sleep and mood swings. Out of interest has you doc got you on a calcium supplement whilst on this?

With regards to the Imuran you should be on regular blood test so they can monitor things as this is an immunosuppressant so can effect you blood counts. This will be the maintainence med to keep the tum settled long term. I have been on it twice and both times it did a fab job for the tum but gave me issues elsewhere. For many though it has done good job long term.

We do have a treatment forum with plenty info about both for you to check out as well: <URL> Out of interest was dosages are you on for these?

AB
xx
Thank you!
No specific diet while in remission.
Since taking the pred and imuran I have had plenty of trouble sleeping and, perhaps as a result, have been feeling very lethargic. I will definitely check out the Treatment thread. Cheers.

7 week taper of pred starting with 35mg
200 mg Imuran daily

David

Co-Founder
Hey there run and welcome to the community :)

I wish I had answers for you, unfortunately I do not :( I think your concerns are shared by many here.

You mention feeling lethargic on those meds. Do you take the prednisone in the morning or evening?

Again, welcome!

Thank you. Seems like this place will help to set my mind at ease somewhat.
Doc suggested that I take the pred in the AM so as not to affect my sleep as much. I normally take it right after breakfast.