• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Job and Flare up Issue

Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2009 and this year I switched to a better doctor who did a blood test and determined I have UC.
Since being diagnosed I have a big flare up once a year resulting in hospital and out on leave for about 6-8wks.
Well this year I have been on a roller coaster and going out for a couple weeks or so at a time and then back at work never really recovered or in remission but feeling guilty/guilted by my job and returning.
I've had a lot of stress this year which is why I think I've had such bad flare ups. Father died and got a divorce...anyways.
So my doctor basically told me just being ok like 70% better is not good enough and will increase my chances for colon cancer because I am not going into remission.
Finally, I've been having a really bad flareup and out on leave since July. My stomach constantly aches and cramps at times. I'm so tired all the time but force myself to get out of bed and do stuff. I get headaches, urgency to go several times a day, I go about 7 times a day and sit there for what seems forever because I feel like I need to keep going. It's mostly diarrhea or loose.
My dr has me on 150mg 6 MP, 40mg Prednisone, and prilosec. He had me on asacal but stopped that to see if that is what is causing my diarrhea.
The job I do is basically an inbound call center regarding employee benefits. This means I have a set schedule - set breaks and set lunch that cannot be changed. If I leave my desk outside the set times then it counts against me and I can be written up if it is more than 10% of the day. Also, I cannot place a client on hold or ask to call them back if I have the need to go. Which believe me this has had me hopping in my chair before trying to help the customer while at the same time sweating from the need to go so badly and can't. I've even had where I've thrown up at my desk because I couldn't get away fast enough. They let me go home that day.

Now my job has been somewhat flexible by allowing me 2 breaks a day one in morning and one in afternoon. This took time but with doctors notes and medical information I was able to get HR and leaves dept to sign off on it.
I've been at my job for 9 yrs and always do very well and am known as a hard worker and one of the best at what I do.

So the leaves dept has been giving me a hard time because I have been out for 8 weeks now. She said my doctor is not being aggressive enough for me to be out this long and she needs more proof that I should be able to work something. This makes me feel very guilty but at the same time I don't want to jeopardize my job by returning and getting marked off by not at my desk 90% of the day. I am so tired and hurt all the time all I want is to feel somewhat normal.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had issues with their job trying to guilt them or question their disability?
I think my doctor is being pretty aggressive he has me on steriods and 6mp, I've had a ct scan to make sure no blockage and I had a colonoscopy in January/feb. He says I have moderate UC and I know from my last doctor my entire large colon is affected and has several ulcers. I went to the ER in July but for the first time ever they didn't admit me and instead told me to follow up with my dr since he is currently treating me.

I am not disciplined enough to go liquids only and even though I get bad pains when I eat I still do it because to me I hurt no matter what so I might as well eat.

I was actually fired from my job for not being able to stay at my desk and in the phone queue and missing too many days of work due to a horrible flare. I didn't realize it at the time but I also had C. Diff which was exacerbating an already really bad flare. I had been at the job for 10 months when they let me go so I didn't qualify for FMLA. I tried to fight it before the actual firing but the ADA guidelines are only that the employer has to make "reasonable" accommodations and having to be in the bathroom 4 out of 8 hours didn't really qualify as reasonable for them, unfortunately. I do know that your health is the most important thing and if you have to let the job go to take care of your health, it will be a wise choice. It's sad and I'm sorry that it might come down to that though. Best of luck to you, I know how frustrating it can be.