• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi, kind of new here

Hi, my husband was diagnosed last year. Kind of odd, he's 59. He's been very ill this year, a heart attack, pacemaker/defib that went off four times last January, an aortic aneurism that tried to burst, and a Mitral valve in his heart that had to be repaired. Besides all that, he still has severe Crohn's, a hernia the size of a basketball on his abdomen, that feels to him like it's going to burst at any minute, and hurts all day, every day, abscess around his stoma that has been there since last October when they did the Colostomy, five fistulas around his stoma that have never healed. He runs a fever most times, is on two types of antibiotics, and has lost a ton of weight. He's 6 foot, and weighs 158 most days. He has a slight case of congestive heart failure. He was supposed to start on Humera since his heart is a little better, but we found out this week our insurance will not pay for it, he's in the donut hole and we don't have thousands laying around to pay for it. So we don't have any idea at this point what to do. I spend most days trying to get him to eat, which he does very little of. I'm so afraid I will lose him. And I'm very, very tired. I haven't ever found any help. Any suggestions?

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. I am quite new to the Crohn's thing. I have found this forum to be very helpful. Sorry to hear how ill your husband is. I hope things get better.

I don't have any advice but just wanted to send my support your way. I'm not sure about Humira(sure someone else on here knows) but with Remicade(one of the other biologics like Humira) there is a program that will help with the cost. I'm not sure exactly how it is set up but I think it pays completely for some cases and supplements for others based on insurance status, ability to pay and such. You may want to contact the makers of Humira and see if they have a similar program or get in touch with the GI office because they are usually aware of these programs and can point you in the right direction.

I hope your husband is afforded some relief from his CD issues soon and healing can take place!

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's plight. That must be ever so difficult and I can understand your exhaustion.

Based upon everything you've said, I would suggest researching low dose naltrexone.

Does your husband eat unhealthy or smoke?