• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First time Fistula....

Hey all - I have not been a very active member of this forum since I am fairly asymptomatic. But I know if/when I need answers, this is the place to go!

I have going through a series of tests to make sure my crohn's is stable & my husband and I can start trying to conceive. So far my meds have been reduced from 3.5 tabs of AZA a day to 3. I had a colonoscopy - the results were inconclusive as I have a thickened area that the scope could not pass so he doesn't know what's beyond that spot. Two weeks ago I had an MRI so we can figure out what's beyond the thickened area. I got my results on Tuesday. Good: my inflammation levels are down from 12 to 8 to 0.6 to 0.2. Bad: I have multiple colon to colon fistulas. My doctor is stumped as to how to proceed. He doesn't want to opt for surgery just yet since my symptoms are pretty inactive. I have a flare up for 1-2 days every 3-4months maybe. But, he doesn't want me to get pregnant & then have the fistulas cause problems & cause complications with my pregnancy. He's sending me for a second opinion. This doc is supposed to be one of the best in Canada, so I'm pleased about that. But my biggest concern is that now I will have to wait 2-3months to see this other doc...then if I do have to have surgery who knows how long it will be before we can start TTC. We had planned on December. I am 32 & my husband will soon be 34...I def want to have a baby sooner rather than later.

So, after that huge long winded explanation...I guess my questions are...

Has anyone had fistulas but not surgery? Been asymptomatic?
Had fistulas while pregnant?

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm a HUGE planner, and a huge stresser! It's not a good combination for someone with CD! lol
:sign0085::sign0085::sign0085:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Manders.....while my fistulae were not colon-colon, I did have active perianal and rectovaginal fistulae while I was pregnant (had them before I conceived).....the main concern my doctors had were with delivery - if I had opted for a natural childbirth they were concerned I may rip/tear and do further damage.

I had a c-section scheduled, and had no complications from it. A few months later I went on Remicade which took care of them!