• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Right well if I'm going form the start,
I was 11 years old when I started having problems, just around the time I was taking my s.a.t.s and so it was all put down to stress. But obviously, it wasn't, thought the years I spent a lot of time with different doctors, having different tests as per the usual,

I think it was really serious when I was put into hospital for a week, on a drip, couldn't take anything down. Since then I was on everything,
Pentasa
Steroids
Fortisip
Loperamide
Azapazirothine (can never spell or pronounce this one)
And recently allaprunol? Which is usually used for gowt I believe?

They still haven't really decided whether its crohns or ulcerative colitis.
All started 10 years ago, I'm now nearly 21, a new combination of tablets keeps me fine, I have full control, I'm able to get on with life as if I don't have it, (well apart from the 18 tablets a day).

I've recently started a new job which looks to be a solid career, I am able to get on stage and perform, sing, play guitar ( my passions ) still no love in my life as yet though!

So yeah that's my story really? ( hardly publishable work haha)

Just a few things,
- I found that having the disease totally out of control during my teens ( and I mean I was okay for 25% of a year for 10) it seriously effected my confidence, I mean put me on a stage and I'm fine, but in normal situations I feel like the quiet one, don't get me wrong I've never been the one to make a whole room stop, but I feel that the constant accidents and issues stopped me feeling comfortable in certain situations, some still now. Anyone else get this?

- Also, I know some of the symptoms can be lethargic nature and depression, I defiantly have these especially the first one! Like to sleep wayyyy to much! And like most other people, there are days when I really hate the world, I feel upset for the 10 years of trouble I had. Music defiantly helps this, I would never stop to recommend the power of music in all situations

I knew of these sites since I was 13ish, my dad did a lot of work trying to make me feel comfortable with it ( still remember the car ride home from the hospital where he said I would have this for the rest of my life, still a nightmare to me). I probably don't give him and my mum enough credit for how much they have helped me with it all.
Anyway I knew about these sites, but never came into them as I felt, as though if I ignore it all it will be like its not happening, still do sometimes. But wanted to post something now I'm in a different place with it all, also I feel like I need some people who can relate.

Hope you could take something from my story, if not then:

What we have is a horrible thing, and its even worse that its not going to go away, and its hard, but it can be managed :)

Welcome to the forum!! Seems like you've been dealing with it quite awhile. My son was dx only this year. It is great to read a post from someone that is still going after their dreams!! And yes I agree, music has such healing power! i wish you well towards remission and all that you endeavor!!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Can you remember what tests were done to confirm that you had an IBD? Do you know whether any biopsies of the bowel were taken? I am just wondering why the docs are not able to confirm whether you have crohn's or UC. What meds are you currently on to make up the 18 tablets a day? Have you ever had ANY of your vitamin levels checked? If not I would ask your doc to get these done, a low B12 is fairly common among the folks here and if you have a low level here this could explain your fatigue.

I am pleased to hear that you are getting out and doing the things you love, long may this continue!

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to you! Thank you for joining and sharing your story!

I'm with Angrybird, have you had your vitamin b12 level tested? How about your vitamin D? Such deficiencies are VERY common in people with Crohn's Disease and as she said, can lead to fatigue.

All my best to you.

IJP

This story will be a help for many people. It can be so scary when you are in your teens, you can feel alone and embarrassed. You wonder whether things will ever get better. It does. I remember all the problems of exam time (for me it was A levels) and not wanting to ask for help, when actually I should have. You seem to have developed a positive attitude Good luck with your new career and music buddy.

twitter:- _IJP_