• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi! Newbie here.

Hi all, my name is Emma. I was diagnosed with Crohns disease this April. I have never been a sickly girl and am having a difficult time adjusting to this new lifestyle. I have a mild form, but as you know even the mildest forms of this horrible disease can feel like the end of the world. I am in a lot of pain.

I take Pentasa 6x a day along with Aciphex and a slew of anti depressants. I have also worked in Colace and various hemorrhoid treatments into my regimin to make going to the bathroom bearable. It's embarrassing but I need people to talk to about these types of things.

I'm 20 and in good health aside from CD. I have always been depressed but since being diagnosed I feel like I am at an all time low. I rarely speak to people anymore, can never get comfortable, am extremely paranoid about eating....etc. I'm a competitive equestrian, and someday hope to become a professional rider and instructor. My dream is to compete in the Olympics in Dressage. Remembering how strong I used to be makes me cry, and I would give anything to be back to where I was.

So thats it in a nutshell, please feel free to say hi to me or something. I really need people to talk to. Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that your disease has caused you so much distress! Unfortunately there is not much I can say other than it does get better and easier over time and you will learn to find ways you can be comfortable.

Having a diagnosis is only a first step and now there is a slew of medications that a good GI can guide you through and help you find remission. Also try adjusting your diet to a low residue diet, get plenty of fluids and make sure you take vitamin supplements. There's loads of great tips you can get from here and other reputable sites.

I know it's embarrasing but try talking to your family about how you feel or a very close friend that you trust. But by all means we are all here for you to lean on if you need us.

This is a terrible disease, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Right now just hang on to the good days and cherish them and on your bad days talk about them with us or anyone you trust!

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
EmmaMichelle,
Welcome to CrohnsForum. You have chosen the perfect place for talking about all aspects of Crohn's Disease without the embarrassment. The members of CrohnsForum are wonderful and always willing to help.

I hope you obtain Remission very soon and are able to continue with your beautiful sport. Whenever I am flipping through the TV and happen upon either Equestrian Jumping or Dressage I just have to watch. Beautiful!

Your new diagnosis is I am sure overwhelming. There are so many folks here that completely understand and have been through it. As Pointy_ears stated, the diagnosis is a huge part of the battle. Also, there are multiple treatment options to try so you can find the best one for you. And there are more new treatments coming out than ever before. I hope you find your successful treatment shortly.

I sincerely hope you feel at home with us. We are always here for you.
Welcome!
:)

David

Co-Founder
Hi Emma and welcome to the community. A couple things:

1. Have you had your vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels tested? I ask because both are common deficiencies in people with Crohn's disease and deficiency can lead to symptoms of fatigue and depression.

2. If you're still in a lot of pain I strongly suggest discussing a different or additional treatment option with your doctor. I say that because the data for Pentasa in Crohn's disease is marginal at best. It certainly helps some people, especially over the short term, but it does not help many others. That you're still having so many symptoms tells me you're in the latter category. There are lots of other treatments of additional treatments that can help you into remission. You deserve to feel well again.

We're here for you!

Hi and welcome to the family. I just wanted to chime in and say you do not have to worry about anything being too embarrassing to put on here. Just read through some of the post on here and you will see. :ylol:

so have a look around there is some great stuff on here. hope you find relief soon.

I just wanted to add my hello. I am sorry you are feeling so down, but I want to give you hope that things can get better. Use this forum...there is SO much information here and everyone is very friendly and willing to share their knowledge. Try not to be embarrassed...this is one of the few places you can talk about your butt without having anyone looking shocked!