• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The Informed Patient - Nutrition in IBD

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Whilst cleaning out Sarah's cupboards today I came across this booklet given to us by the GI, some time ago, and which I subsequently gave no thought to. :blush:

It is an interesting read and contains quite a few interesting statistics and facts.

Well worth a read! :)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:MLANrN0VFsgJ:https://www.drfalk.co.uk/index.php/download_file/-/1555+https://www.drfalk.co.uk/index.php/download_file/-/1555&hl=en&gl=au&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiugnNci5FqFS7egKknPK0Faxvc869zUQeAUJ29XydVnlo6239rRdqjaTx9q8Nmv8FUkLynEJdh7-HOAQcYkfbOQql_-Zab142-la7Pit3TmmnuhsP9aJaD14i_s1zw2f2yF7Lk&sig=AHIEtbQax8F8A4JdXATNDJ2xZG5afV_UKg&pli=1

Dusty. :)

Gianni

Great info, thanks Dusty!

I'm surprised your G.I. gave you this booklet. Every G.I. that i've gone to, i've asked them about nutrition and they shrug it off and tell me not to worry about it. I do realize it is extremely important:) I just wish more doctors stressed that importance.

Thanks again

Hi Dusty,
Could you put this terrific resource in the Enteral Nutrition section of the Treatment forum?
Thanks

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey happy,

Where in the EN forum would you like it? It's own thread or in one of the stickies?

Dusty. :)

crohnsinct

Wow! Super interesting read. Wish our doc gave us that in the beginning.

A few things in there super supported things we are already doing...yay us! But of course there were things in there that gave me new paranoias...O's En has carageenan in it:eek: and according to their charts she is still way more than 20% underweight!

I have been looking for some IBD general diet information/guidelines. Such conflict in safe/not safe IBD foods. I am trying so hard to learn. Three doctors never even mentioned diet to us. A bit scary. Can't keep son in remission for too long. Definitely need to address diet. Can't wait to read this. I am so thankful!

Diet is a really hard one. Generally speaking starting out with a low fiber, low residue. When you are feeling better you can slowly start adding things back in a little at a time and keep a food diary to see what your triggers are. My son was able to eat chicken, white rice, appplesauce, rice krispies. The only thing we were really told to avoid was nuts, seeds and popcorn.
It is really individual when it come to food triggers though for example my husband with crohn's can not do tomato sauce but my son has absolutely no issues with it.

my little penguin

Staff member
Plus diet does not cause a flare or keep your child from remission.
Except EEN ( formula only with no food)

However some foods can make a flare worse .
DS avoids nuts seeds beans and raw veggies /skins

I think this is fascinating that the pamphlet states to "Choose carrageenan-free diets"

The Mayo Clinic doctor we consulted had no opinion on carrageenan. She said it's fine. I know it's not the best choice and for Mayo to say "it's fine, it's seaweed."

I'd like to find the palatable liquid diet that is not just lactose free, but milk free so we can choose to avoid casein and carrageenan free also.

I think they just have no idea about carrageenan greypup. When I brought it up to Jack's GI he said he had never heard that but said he would read up on it.

I know. I agree. I wish the docs spent as much time reading as us parents do.

Maybe, if we were able to get the physicians aware of the issue then the companies could remove carrageenan from their formulas.

Isn't it ironic that an IBD patient needs the formulas and the formulas have an ingredient contraindicated for them.