• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I have to wear depends for my MRI

I am newly DX and am having a really hard time . Having an MRI and have to wear depends!!!!!! I'm going to cry! The barium! DEPENDS! I can't do this. What if I do have and accident? This is horrible!

Nothing about this disease is nice, you have my sympathy.
When I had an MRI I didn't have the barium , but I did have to drink some stuff that gave me the "D" almost immediately as I started drinking I could feel my insides going into overdrive.
To be honest going round in a flimsy gown and noting else but my pants made me feel quite vulnerable. And I was worried that I might have an accident ( I probably would have felt better in some Depends - although I didn't know what they were till I just looked it up now).
Anyway my worries were found-less in the end, I had the scan no problem and no accidents.
I really hope it all turns out ok for you too. And remember they are doing this scan to get answers to help you. It is worth it in the end.
:)

Terriernut

You have my empathy. This is a nasty disease. I WISH I'd had depends when I had an MRI back in 2009 for my first perforated bowel. I couldnt get out of the loo. But, like Beach Bum said....No issues in the machine. Whew!

You can do it. They will get you some help. And know this, you arent the first nor will you be the last. The people you are dealing with have seen it all and have the Tshirt. Just get through it, gritting your teeth, and know that you are going to get the help you need.

:kiss:

Thanks everyone - you guys were right. Once I was in the MRI contraption I was actually glad I had the depends. The staff were soooo nice and I actually didn't have an accident:)!

YaY!! Glad it went okay.

You know, if you ever have to have a barium enema CT, it is expected that you will have an accident on the table and the are prepared for that. Nearly everyone that has that done has an accident even before the test is done. Like Misty said, the techs have seen it all and have the T-shirt.

I'm overly self-conscious about that sort of thing as well, so I totally understand your panic. SOOOOO glad everything went okay and that you were able to get it done finally!! Hooray!!!

Glad it went well!
When I had my MRI (before they even suspected Crohn's or another IBD) they didn't seem to think I would need Depends or anything similar. It was probably the worst test I have had to date! 45 minutes in the MRI machine and I was in excruciating pain the entire time, as I was in desperate need to GO! Mine was more for bladder issues, and they told me to half fill my bladder... the problem was that something (my TI) was connected to my bladder, and constantly pushing on it.. so a "half full" bladder was in fact TOO full... ouch.

In the end, everyone is right! they see these things everyday, it is their job! They were very kind with me, as they knew I was in pain... kept telling me how much long I had left, and as soon as that machine was done let me rush to the washroom!

Good news that everything went well for you!!!

Oh Sweetie I know-I've been kicked out of men's bathrooms because I was in the middle of an emergency and the women's room is closed and I've had my share of accidents over the years.

When you get the right treatment it won't necessarily be a daily thing. I usually wear Depends whenever I'm prepping for a test and when I go for the actual procedure, as well as elastic pants.

After a loooong time I developed a sense of humor about it but each person is different. I do know the more nervous I get the more likely I have an accident. That's one of the hardest things about Crohn's-it's hard both physically and mentally.

Having an MRI should give you some answers soon-I hope you find a good treatment that will work quickly for you! Sending hugs :hug:

Thank you Jeannette- I'm at home when I've lost control thus far. I'm sure I will be able to joke about it soon. Better to laugh about it. I'm not even sure how it's happens. I sprint to the BR. Luckily I have just washed all of my jammy bottoms. Right now I'm still in the "this sucks" phase :)

Thanks for your kind words . Hell, good excuse to go get new PJ's at Victorias Secret:)

You bet-Crohn's is a great reason for shopping! You have to go through the this sucks phase-I visit that place often but I don't live there anymore lol!

You'll be OK, and we're all here for you! ;)

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
If it helps any, I've had accidents; at home, at work, in the car, at my boyfriend's apartment (now my husband) and probably other places I can't remember. It's really not fun & embarrassing when it happens. But, I'm very thankful that you were able to get seen today and that all went well:) Hopefully things will start turning around soon for you. Lisa:hug:

The other year I had something similar to a barium enema but with a water contrast rather than barium. They told me I didn't need prep before hand or anything. Then they stuck the tube where the sun doesn't shine and filled my colon up with this contrast and then took the x-rays etc that they needed. But then afterwards, they put the bag of contrast in a bucket below the xray bed to let the contrast along with my colon contents drain back out!!! Well I can only imagine what the stuff was like when it came out. The poor girl that had to deal with it all was new too! I gave her my sympathies.

But yes, as everyone has said, they are used to all of this. Glad your MRI went better than expected!!

Ugh- now that is horrible!! Things have come a long way. The depends seems mild compared to your brutal experience! Yes, hoping fit answers :)!

I came close to having an accident during my last MRI enterography, but instead threw up the lovely barium all over the doctors and nurses. I was tied down to the table and starting to yell for help, when they got me undone and I sat up, the vomit came right out. Better that hole then the bottom. Ughhh

Oh, that's horrible! I'm not sure that's better than the other end. Sounds pretty miserable throwing up too. It tastes gross going down, coming up has to be worse. :(

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
oh booyyy....this reminds me of when I had a barium contrast done to check for fistulas...I KNEW that it was going to come out...had no control over that and made a MESS!.....staff was very sympathetic and kind.....although they did have a mess to clean up!

I've also had accidents while out and about, at work, in the car (had leather seats in my old car!)....had to stop along the side of the road.....for the most part those days are behind me thankfully - they can and will be for you too!