• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Memory loss after pain?

Has anyone experienced some memory loss during during a period of being in pain with Crohns, and if yes what did you do to counter this?

I was diagnosed this january but previously had painful surgical wounds that took 7months to heal. i feel that my ability to recall things and my attention to detail while reading and writing has diminished during this time.

Spooky1

I couldn't agree more. its so hard to focus even on friendly chat when ill with Crohns. Its an energy thing i think. The brain needs foods and nutrients to function well. I just don't absorb anything well. I am quite used to my disgraceful memory and having no energy to even think, let alone do something!

Snap. I don't know if it's the pain, the meds, the anaesthetics for all the tests, the fatigue or just the whole combination, but I memory is awful too. I had just trained for an online call centre job, working from home, and had to give it up just after starting cos I couldn't focus or handle angry customers.
I've been in my current job just over a year now and am very, very lucky that they have been extremely patient with me over my 'dopiness' ( it's become a bit of a joke now ) and a couple of stays in hospital since I started.

Spooky1

I think the fatigue does play a major role in this, but yes, also the meds. I can identify with not being able to focus. people don't realise it bothers us more than it bothers them. Its harsh to lose a job over health though, Helen.

oh my gosh! I am so glad I saw this thread. I have been dealing with this memory loss thing for months now.
I have had so many hospitalizations, been on so many different medications for the Crohn's, the pain, you name it. I know some of that, if not all had a huge play in my memory loss. And yes, yes I can't even focus on things like someone else had mentioned. It just bothers me to no end that I can't remember things like I used to.

Has anyone taken a natural herb, or vitamin, or whatnot to help improve their focus/memory? I have done brain games online, etc, too. I also have a problem with absorbing food, nutrients, so perhaps I should eat more - to fuel the body so the brain will work.

I am just glad I found this thread and feel a lot better just knowing others have and do experience this also :)

Family and friends say I'm not the same person. I used to be so thorough and take care of all the details, rarely needing to write anything down. That's all a "lost" memory now. I'll need to show my DH this thread so he sees that it's not just me or something else happening on top of the crohns, but a part of it.

My pain management clinic says vagueness is associated with all forms of severe chronic pain, even when using medication free treatment approaches. They simply recommended keeping lots of checklists and committing a lot more stuff to paper.

(FYI I don't have gastric problem, am parent of a child with, but lot of experience with neuropathic pain and pain management.)

Yes I do have this happen a lot. It used to really upset me but I learn't to be open about it and most people are good with it and don't mind retelling their story again, Most people love to hear themselves talk so to most people it is not an issue. Learn to make it fun. The med taking dilemma could be a bit tricky. I don't have that issue as I have been unable to cope with side effects as well as the Crohns. Im still looking and willing to try anything, Even a dose of worms sounds pretty good. But they dont like to give you worms in Tasmania . Memory loss is a part of being ill. How many starving people can remember stuff????? I dont know either cos I cant remember

Spooky1

lol, must say my memory has always stumped me, but i didn't realise it might be crohns related. i just found it so frustrating being fatigued and vague in the head all the time. Still looking for improvements lol.

Im soooo glad i found this thread.... i feel like i have become an old lady, and im only 24 lol!
I first noticed memory loss when id lose things around the house. Then id forget things like parking tickets whilst out shopping, or where id left my car. It seems to be short term things that ill mainly forget, but putting a timescale on things or remebering the date has become very difficult! Im on Infliximab and i have noticed that since being on this it has become worse. Ive never really talked it through with my consultant, its an ongoing joke with my friends and family that im rather blonde at times.
what other meds is everyone on, anyone on infliximab amd experienced memory loss?

I lost memory either from pain, the narcotics to control it and/or anesthesia.

I noticed that I had forgotten certain things that I knew for decades. I can still remember new things about as well as ever which was never that good, but some memories were wiped out.

I thought maybe it was just a weird thing that happened to me. Now I know it is not that rare.

Dan

For more clariy of thought and to help with depression some people take Rhodiola Rosea.

It does have an immune system boost associated with it so think that through before using it. It makes my feet itch for some strange reason.

Dan

For me, when I developed my IBD, I noticed for what ever reason it became difficult to spell. I used to be a decent speller in school. Now, it can be a chore for some reason.