• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Community Juice Fast? Maybe?

Gianni

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to view everyones opinion on maybe starting a community juice fast. I realize only a small number of you are actually interested in Juicing so for those few people I thought why not do a juice fast together!?!? :)

A juice fast is basically a 3-10 day fast where you only drink freshly made juice made by yourself! You will need a juicer to participate. I was thinking we could start off small and do a 5 day or even a 3 day if people aren't comfortable enough with a 5 day.

This process is great because you give your gut and your body a rest while maintaining huge doses of nutrition and energy. By not eating a fibrous, heavy meal, your body saves the energy that would usually be lost in digestion and puts it towards a greater cause, like dealing with ailments :)

If you want to learn more on why I think juicing is so great click here

If you want to do a juice fast but feel uncomfortable about the process, ask your doctor or nutritionist about it and see what they have to say. I will let my doctor know if I am going to do a juice fast longer than 10 days usually but for short 1-10 day ones I do not. I have not experienced any problems with juice fasts.

If i get a few people that might want to join then I will post more about Juice fasts and what should and shouldn't be done while on one.

I am going to do a juice fast either way so I just thought I would invite you guys to join me.

I plan on doing one in about a month or so, so don't feel hurried or rushed.

I thought we could make it a fun process and regularly post how we are doing on the Juice fast. I was thinking about maybe posting a video blog each day of the juice fast and see how everyone is doing.

Just an idea I have... no pressure.

If you want to join me either post here or message me or both!

:)

Gianni

Panda33
Ozboz
CrohnsChicago
David
Sam07301985
Beach bum
------
------
------
------

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I think it would be a good idea to share some recipes for those who are just getting started (along with info on how to juice and how often/how much per day) and especially different ones for those with certain vitamin deficiencies.

For those with other health conditions please speak with all of your doctors and keep in mind that certain fruits or vegetables can interact with other medications you might be taking.

Hello
It sounds like a good idea to me as it would be good to hear others experiences. I ordered a juicer last week and it should turn up early next week. I have been reading a lot and have also got a couple of books on juicing so I know as much as possible.
I am looking forward to it now and can't wait to see if it makes a difference to me even if it doesn't do much for my crohn's I'm thinking it's still a healthy habit to get into and better for my over all health.
I am planning to start my first week of juicing on the 29th of this month. I am going to start of doing it for just that one week and then slowly introduce vegetables maybe rice simple foods for one meal a day and then the others as juice. If everything goes well I might try and do longer on just the juices but I will see how it goes.
Can't wait to get started :)

I would also be interested. I have never juiced before and would have to buy one. But it sounds like something I should try. Just finished prednisone and now my guts are hurting and the D has started again. I just want to give my Guts a break! Plus maybe lose some of this Prednisone weight!!! hahaha
I would definitely need some instruction on how to do this properly.
Great idea Gianni

Gianni

Thanks panda:) I will add you to the list, more info will come out about it as time goes on and more people join. I will message you with information shortly:) Don't worry i will fill you in on everything you need to know!:)

Gianni

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I can't afford a juicer. If I had one and knew what I was doing I might. I've had to fast many times before or be on a liquid diet for long periods of time so I know I could do it.

I'm curious now that I think of it, sort of related to the topic, besides purchasing the juicer, how expensive is it per day do you think? I also don't know how much you're supposed to drink each day. Like do you treat it like a meal 3x per day or what?

Gianni

Yes i treat it like a meal, 3x a day. Other people do more times a day, my brother does 6 a day but he buys half of them at a local juice bar so he doesn't make 6 a day.

Costs about 15-20$ a day for me. I don't get too fancy with exotic fruits so that helps, and I stick to farmers markets. 6 a day will probably be 30-40$ a day. It actually saves money since you aren't buying meals :) The Juicer pays for itself overtime! but I understand.

Gianni

Im in for a juice fast let me know when to get started I'm juicing carrots and spinach 4x a day at the moment and can feel and see a difference but still feel tired and get head spins here and there but must say i feel better

Gianni

YAY, glad to hear it:) You might be feeling tired because your body is detoxing (often what happens when you introduce raw nutrients). But ok, I will let you know, won't be until november but will do.

Gianni

My juicer has turned up today yay. I have all ready tried it out just a simple fruit juice apples and lemon. Just because I can't make myself wait to try it like a big kid :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I would be interested in trying out a 3 day juice fast! :)

The first or 2nd week of November works best for me. Gives me time to prepare. Maybe even the week after thanksgiving would be best hahaha!:biggrin:

Great idea. Please keep me posted! :)

David

Co-Founder
I'd partake if I can do it as a smoothie. I do fine with fiber and me and my Blendtec are buds. I don't want to interfere though so if you want to keep it strict to juice, I understand.

Thanks for organizing this by the way! :)

Just convinced my housemate (who doesn't have Crohns, I just want someone to pay half) to buy a juicer with me. Unfortunately I won't be in the country for the first week of November, but i'll check the thread and your results and probably do my own one in a month or two.

15 - 20 dollars a day is a lot of money to spend on food though, I had thought that juicing would be cheaper than regular eating.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
15 - 20 dollars a day is a lot of money to spend on food though, I had thought that juicing would be cheaper than regular eating.
I think it might be possible to get that number down depending on where you live. Remember that he also shops organic only (local farmers markets) so that always adds on more $$$. I know when I lived in another area there were some fairly cheap grocery stores compared to the mainstream ones. Their produce was always fairly cheap. Try shopping around to see if there's a cheaper store/market in your area.

I wish it was cheaper too honestly. Fruits and vegetables are always expensive no matter how you look at it. Would be nice if we could all grow our own but for me, I don't have any land, just this shabby apartment. If I juiced daily at $15/day I'd be broke in about 2 weeks. Goes well over my low income food budget unfortunately.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Another way to get that number down if you can't afford organic would probably be to look for sales at your big-name or local grocer (Jewel's, Dominick's, etc.). If you do buy from these stores, sale or not, buy some fresh produce cleaner to wash your veggies with in order to clean off the pesticides and other stuff that may be lingering on the food. I know not all of us, including myself, can afford to eat all organic.

That's also why I chose to do the 3-day juice fast. It's quicker and cheaper :)

Gianni

I'm sure if you kept things simple you can get it down to 5-10$ a day. I know I can buy a massive amount of organic carrots for just 3 dollars, that makes probably... 5 or more straight carrot juices. Apples are cheap. So instead of doing a sweet potato, carrot, apple juice for example... maybe just do carrot and apple. Doing a little is better than nothing, so if only straight carrot juice is all you can afford, then go for it. It will probably cost 3$ a day with just carrots. The green juices are the things that can get expensive, but again by substituting kale with a big bucket of spinach, it saves a ton of money. It's all about shopping the bulk and sale items. I spend 15$ a day because for one I can afford it right now and I like including different vegetables with different benefits even if it is a bit more expensive.

By sticking to a simple juice fasts ... 3-10$ a day can still be massively beneficial to your health.

Gianni

Gianni

I've just made healthy food a top priority in my life. Most people, I would say, have food as a low priority. People would rather buy the newest iphone, or pay for the unlimited texting plan, or buy the best bundle package from their satellite tv provider, or pay that extra 100$ a month to lease the nicer car rather than buy their family healthy food.

I think it's important for people to change their priorities and instead of putting food at the bottom, spend a bit more and feed your family the healthiest, most beneficial food out there.

I realize some of you have this mentality, if so, ignore this.

David

Co-Founder
If $20.00 a day gets me pain free for awhile which would no doubt improve my emotional/mental state, I'll be happy to take some craigslist gigs digging ditches on the weekends. Just me though :)

If this doesn't help at all, expect a class action lawsuit Gianni ;)

Gianni

If $20.00 a day gets me pain free for awhile which would no doubt improve my emotional/mental state, I'll be happy to take some craigslist gigs digging ditches on the weekends. Just me though :)

That's the spirit!

AHH! :eek::yfaint:

It will help! :D

Gianni

My sister who has been diagnosed with IBS, went on a 5 day juice fast and has continued to juice everyday for the last 2 weeks. She is usually constantly having stomach issues (almost more than me when in a flare). I talked to her a few days ago and she told me that she hasn't experienced gut related pain in a couple weeks and couldn't believe that juice could fix it. Her usual trigger of mexican food gave her no problems and she continues to have no pain:)! Personally I think she may have Microscopic Colitis but she refuses to get tested! ARGG:mad2:

David

Co-Founder
If her brother has Crohn's and she has GI issues, she needs one for sure. I'm glad she's getting one, hopefully it's just IBS or something like that.

Hi Gianni
I think its great what you are doing however It would be quite expensive for people on low incomes in general or who also have families to provide for, forget i phones etc I think that was a little patronizing really whether intended or not.
The great thing about this forum is we are all wonderful people from all walks of life trying to stay strong & coming together because of IBD in one form or another so we need to show respect for those differences.
I will introduce smoothies again when I feel a little better as I currently have a duodenal ulcer & severe gastritis so don't want to irritate anything just yet but will keep up with everyone to see how they are getting on with this.
Please be aware that it is not a cure all though & although I know you have great success at the moment It may not be the case for everyone. I was having smoothies on a daily basis before I became ill again & have always eaten very healthily in the past so perhaps for some people who have never done this before they should start maybe on 1 per day just until they see how their Crohns reacts. I know myself that I feel quite let down by my body when I have always done the very best I can regarding healthy foods etc.
I don't drink or smoke, have always eaten plenty of fruit & veggies & stayed on a low fat diet (apart from the odd treat on special occasions) from being In my teens due to dad having cholesterol problems. Yet I have Crohns disease, Kidney disease, & high Cholesterol. Sometimes life is like that.
I do wish you all the very best in this venture though & hope we see some great results.

David

Co-Founder
I don't think Gianni is being patronizing. His heart is definitely in the right place and I really appreciate what he's doing. I know you do too Kip and I understand how you feel as well. It sucks that we have to sometimes choose between high quality food and other necessities. It sucks that we have to sometimes choose between medical care and other necessities. :(

I think this will be a very interesting test. If it works out well, maybe we can have some sort of sponsorship where we can help someone who can't afford to do it. Just thinking with my fingers. I'd dig a few extra holes so someone here could feel a little better :)

Gianni

I think its great what you are doing however It would be quite expensive for people on low incomes in general or who also have families to provide for, forget i phones etc I think that was a little patronizing really whether intended or not.
Thanks for the support Kip.

I am sorry if I came off as patronizing in my earlier post, it wasn't intended. I realize that there are people who are struggling to provide for their families and of course that earlier post would not pertain to them. That post was directed to those who do put those priorities, listed earlier, above healthy food.

I just think we as a culture have our values inverted when it comes to food. I'm not saying that food should be given number one priority over your families home or any other essential. I am just saying many families (like mine when i was growing up) just think that food fills up the stomach so why not just buy cheap fast food and save some money. Does that make them horrible people? No of course not... my parents are wonderful people, but they just didn't know... it's a values inversion problem simply because they didn't understand the importance of food.

I don't mean to step on any toes here, and of course I didn't mean to patronize those families whom are struggling. I only meant to point out, for those whom aren't struggling, that many of these people would rather buy a more expensive car (for example) than buy their family the healthiest food.

I used, iphone, car, and tv package, and not mortgage, children's education, and utility bills because I know that those are a top priority. Iphone, more expensive car...etc etc were meant to represent those families who would buy those things when given the funds rather than buy good health.

I don't think Gianni is being patronizing. His heart is definitely in the right place and I really appreciate what he's doing. I know you do too Kip and I understand how you feel as well. It sucks that we have to sometimes choose between high quality food and other necessities. It sucks that we have to sometimes choose between medical care and other necessities.
Thanks for the support David:D

I think this will be a very interesting test. If it works out well, maybe we can have some sort of sponsorship where we can help someone who can't afford to do it. Just thinking with my fingers. I'd dig a few extra holes so someone here could feel a little better
Yes I had thought about this as well. If people like it (which I know they will) and it becomes somewhat popular, I would love to see some type of sponsorship system. I would absolutely be willing to maybe buy a community juicer that we can mail around to those who want to do a juice fast but simply cannot afford a juicer.

Gianni

Gianni

If her brother has Crohn's and she has GI issues, she needs one for sure. I'm glad she's getting one, hopefully it's just IBS or something like that.
Both her brothers have Crohn's! She's actually had problems ever since she was really little, I think around 5. Doctors just told her IBS so she accepted it. As soon as I was diagnosed with Crohn's she felt like she might have a version of it.

I keep pushing and pushing her to get a colonoscopy and it seems like finally she will :D

I live In the uk & at the moment healthy foods are very expensive.
We all know the recent financial problems have put up food prices but it is getting ridiculous. We also have to deal with higher prices as most of our fruits are shipped in. To budget well we generally have to just stick with our own seasonal products due to being in a colder climate as they tend to be cheaper & keep longer.
I don't know If I am correct in this but I think we would need to spend at least £6-£8 (depending on time of the year) per day to have enough fresh stuff to juice, to do that organically you are talking around £14 per day.
Most of our smaller shops have been replaced by supermarket giants sadly so we have very little choice in where we buy fruits & veg.
I am interested to see how this will work. Do you suggest we replace meals with juicing & if so for how long.
If that is the case then as a working mother with a house to keep & 3 dogs to take care of I think I would become very hungry by the end of the day that's why when I have done this type of thing before It has been with smoothies as they are more filling.
As I said before I have always eaten well & had the very best of foods since I was a young child but I have still ended up with Crohns. I know it is a genetic thing for me as my mother has it but I made sure since my resection I went on a real health kick & I have ended up with further problems.
I think more people than you realise know the difference in eating well & eating cheaply a lot of people do try to make the right choices especially when they have lived with an IBD for a long time but many of the fresh foods are already contaminated with pesticides etc so it seems we are damned if we do & damned if we don't.

Gianni

to do that organically you are talking around £14 per day.
Wow that's quite expensive, do you have local farmers markets that might be cheaper?

Do you suggest we replace meals with juicing & if so for how long.
If that is the case then as a working mother with a house to keep & 3 dogs to take care of I think I would become very hungry by the end of the day that's why when I have done this type of thing before It has been with smoothies as they are more filling.
Yes the idea of a juice fast is to replace meals with fresh organic juice. Some people do 6 juices a day, but I find 3 to be plenty. By day 4 of my juice fasts, I usually will actually feel full from my juices. I suggest at least a 5 day juice fast but if you are not comfortable with that then benefits should be noticed only after a 3 day fast. Personally this time, I will be doing a 7 day fast. Smoothies are more filling and they are completely acceptable, even David is doing a smoothie fast :D. The only reason why I would stick to juice fast is because the removal of fiber gives your gut a nice rest and saves your body a ton of energy, you can read my smoothie vs juicing section in my juicing thread.

I think more people than you realise know the difference in eating well
I think many people associate eating well with avoiding "bad for you foods" like fried foods or fast and processed foods.

For example, my mother always thought she ate healthy and so did I while growing up, but after i started obsessing over diet and literally making spreadsheets on the most beneficial foods for health, I realized my mother wasn't eating healthy at all but rather just wasn't eating "bad food".

My healthy food terminology refers to eating only real organic foods and never processed commercial foods. never a cheat, never vegetable oils, never processed sugar, never a questionable restaurant where I don't know the ingredients, never a sugary drink, never coffee, never an energy drink, never soy, etc etc. But even if i simply avoided those things I still wouldn't consider myself eating healthy until i started incorporating super foods (i.e. foods with exceptional health benefits).

I do realize many people on this forum do try and eat well and I know there are a few health crazies like myself cause I've been messaging them and bouncing ideas off each other. If you feel like you eat healthy, like i said in my first post on priorities, then ignore this.

Please be aware that it is not a cure
I guess we will have to disagree on this:)

I made sure since my resection I went on a real health kick & I have ended up with further problems.
Sorry to hear that a healthy diet didn't initially help. Hopefully this experience didn't turn you off of the power of food.

a lot of people do try to make the right choices especially when they have lived with an IBD for a long time but many of the fresh foods are already contaminated with pesticides etc so it seems we are damned if we do & damned if we don't.
There are ways to make sure your food is in its "real" original state. Visiting farms, going to local farmers markets, or even growing your own produce like David:).

I think organic is EXTREMELY important when deciding to eat healthy for so many reasons but mainly because commercial produce will not have nearly as much vitamins and minerals... not nearly.

Gianni

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I will say that almost a week now & I've been supplementing one meal/day (breakfast or lunch) with a green juice or fruit smoothie (made with almond milk).

I am the type of person that gets terribly tired (can barely hold my eyes open) around noon. Since I changed up my diet a tiny bit, I noticed that for the past two days I have been able to get through my work hours with better energy and without feeling sluggishly tired. Waking up in the morning, it even seems to be a tad bit easier to get going.

So for those of you who don't want to/can't do an all-day juice cleanse, maybe even a 1 juiced meal/day can have a positive impact of sorts on you. :)

****I forgot to mention also that my stomach/gut seems to be pleased with this little break from digestion as well. The cramping and bathroom situation has eased up a little.****

Gianni

Calling on Panda33, Ozboz, CrohnsChicago, David, Sam07301985

I was looking at the calendar and I thought Saturday November 10th or saturday november 17th would be best. Please let me know If either of them work for you. If none of them work for you then say so and suggest a date that would work better. Neither of these dates are set in stone, just wanted to see if they worked for you guys.

I will be doing a 7 day fast. You may do however long you want up to 7 ( for beginners I wouldn't recommend over 7 days) but it would be best to do at least 3, and optimally 5. I plan on making videos each day just talking about the juice fast and the benefits you may or may not be experiencing.

So please post what date would be best, if either are ok please say so. Also post how many days you plan on doing (just to get an idea)

Let me know:)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I guess I prefer the weekend of the 10th.
I will be doing a 3-day juice.

I just thought of something...I read some places that coming off of a juice fast you should take a few days to ease back into solid foods. That being said....if we start the 17th, a 3 day would go through the 19th and a longer juice would go through Thanksgiving. I'm not sure I could deprive myself of Thanksgiving dinner and don't know how others would feel about that either. just thought I would throw that out there lol.

Maybe also include a date for after thanksgiving?....I'd be willing to do a 2nd juice fast if the first one goes well :)

Can you recommend some good sites to read about prepping and veggie/fruit choices?

Gianni

I just thought of something...I read some places that coming off of a juice fast you should take a few days to ease back into solid foods. That being said....if we start the 17th, a 3 day would go through the 19th and a longer juice would go through Thanksgiving.
Ahh forgot about thanksgiving:D, yeah we will just entertain the 10th now.

Yes after a juice fast its better to ease into "heavier" foods. With only a 3 day fast I don't think you have to worry about this much but I will talk more about this as the fast starts.

Maybe also include a date for after thanksgiving?....I'd be willing to do a 2nd juice fast if the first one goes well
Yeah, I'll have to set another one up.

Maybe also include a date for after thanksgiving?....I'd be willing to do a 2nd juice fast if the first one goes well
I plan on making a prep video for you guys but for the meantime you can read this.

That site does a pretty in depth prep. The only real prep I do is have a high fiber raw vegetable diet the day before to help clean out my system. Of course if you are uncomfortable with fiber then don't do it. I simply do baby lettuce and spinach for salads the day before so it's not too fibrous.

Gianni

Last edited:

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Awesome! The 10th or the first two weekends after thanksgiving are good for me.

The site link doesn't work for me. Do you mind sending it again? thanks! :)

I don't mind doing fiber. I just have to be careful in what I choose and not have too much fiber in one day. I very recently learned that broccoli cooked or raw is now an extremely painful food to digest. Spinach, kale and other leaves are my friend. More dense veggies I have to cook before I eat or shred them very thinly to digest.

Sounds like a great idea I am in.

I just came back from an amazing week in the Highlands where I ate and drank an incredible amount of delicious Scottish fare.

Since coming back I have made 2 discoveries :
1, I have put on weight - yes! My insides are working again - my curves will be back in no time.
2, I have put on weight - No ! Eeek I will have to start cutting down on the puddings.

So it will be good for me to reset my diet and start again with a sensible one I think, I already have juice for breakfast and enjoy that so i am looking forward to it.

Gianni the only local farmers markets here tend to be a little more expensive now as its such a rarity.
The £14 is only an estimate & I think it may be the time of the year that is dictating that now. For Instance 3 small organic bananas in our local supermarket cost £1.80 & 4 very small organic apples were £2.30. It is appalling really that we have to put up with these prices as it used to be so different when we had greengrocers & local butchers etc only a few years ago.
I suppose If you live in a warmer part of the world then you have more choice & possibly better prices.
I do hope that everyone who tries this gets better health.
Although my Crohns didnt improve when I went all smoothie I did have more enery.

I guess I can drink as much tea as I want - milk free of course ?
I have just ordered £40 worth of Suki tea with a fancy infusion pot, after falling in love
with it on holiday.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I read last night that for those who can't handle the hunger pangs of juicing, that drinking a small glass of almond milk in the morning before your juice is OK to have during a fast. I think I may consider that if things get tough for me lol!

yeah giani no probs for me I'm ready got my juicer and just need to brush up on some recipies but 10th november is good for me

David

Co-Founder
Gianni -- thoughts on starting a new thread for the juice fast? Maybe have some easy to follow directions, recipes, etc so people can start to prepare? I want to link to it in my sig as well and am happy to help set the thread up if you need help.

I was wondering if we would each be starting our own diary/blog thread during the event or would it be better to all be in one?

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Maybe a collective diary is good that way we can easily compare notes and experiences for our fast from start to finish? I want to start prepping by next Wednesday at the earliest.

David

Co-Founder
Can I post my diary now since I know what is going to happen to me?

November 10th: Doing great! Feeling great!
November 11th: Feel good, kinda hungry though.
November 12th: Oh god the cravings
November 13th: I kicked a dog today. My wife went to her mom's for the week.
November 14th: Posting from jail on "Tank's" contraband smart phone, it cost me my underwear for 3 minutes of time. I'm in jail because I barged into a McDonalds and stole 50 Big Macs.

Gianni

November 14th: Posting from jail. Barged into a McDonalds and stole 50 Big Macs.
:rof::rof::rof::lol2::roflanim:

lol, I am studying in the library and I just started laughing now everyone is looking at me haha.

Ya that is pretty much how it is going to go !!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
@ David OMG! HAHAHA!!! Instead of kicking a dog, I might just run downtown and start kicking pigeons since they are everywhere! LMAO.

Gianni

Hey guys, this saturday november the 10th is still the scheduled date.

I had a crazy busy weekend so I am going to make the "what to expect" and how to prepare video tonight and it should be posted tomorrow for you.

Gianni

Gianni

Yes ozboz I actually plan on starting the juice fast a day earlier than you guys so that I can post videos for each day and you guys will be able to see them before you start your day no matter where you live.

Gianni

Gianni

Hey guys, here is the link to the video I made: https://vimeo.com/52911795

Please do keep in mind it is my first video :lol2:

Here is the shopping list in text format: (3 days of the fast)

5lb bag of carrots

2 celery "bulbs"

2 Romaine lettuce hearts

4 bunches of Kale

6 Cucumbers

6 Sweet potatoes

9-18 Granny Smith Apples

1 Bunch of Parsley

1 Bunch of Swiss Chard

3-6 Lemons

1 Branch of Ginger

2 Bunches of Mature Spinach

5 Beets (May choose yellow or orange beets aswell if you are uncomfortable with possibly passing a red color(beets color) in your stool).

(all organic)!

I forgot to mention exercise and juice fasting in the video. No straining exercise so basically only stretching, light walks and yoga and other related relaxing exercises can be utilized. Feel free to completely relax, if you don't want to do any of those though.

Lemme know how many days you want to do the juice fast, try to challenge yourself:)

Gianni

Last edited:
How many days will this shopping list cover ? (Sorry if you have answered this in the video - I have to wait to get home form work to watch it :) )

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Yes. Is the grocery list for a full week? I am trying to gauge how much I will need for 3 days. I am sure I will tweak the ingredients as needed (not sure what chard is, how much it costs or if I will like it).

November 14th: Posting from jail on "Tank's" contraband smart phone, it cost me my underwear for 3 minutes of time. I'm in jail because I barged into a McDonalds and stole 50 Big Macs.
OMG David! You made me laugh outloud at work, they think I'm nuts!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've got a question Gianni. You have beets listed as one of the ingredients and I was wondering how you felt about using orange or yellow beets instead of the red ones (to prevent that "uh oh" feeling when you go to the bathroom and might see some red coloring). I see them in the organic section all the time but do you think its better to use the red rather than the orange or yellow? If yes why?

Last edited:
I'm only going to juice spinach,cucumber,beetsand carrot I tried juicing all the other stuff and well lets just say wasn;t a good experience

Gianni

You don't have to try them Crohn's, if you watched the vid I explain that i urge you guys to buy produce that you like. I like beets, maybe you do not and that's perfectly fine, buy another vegetable that you do like. I don't really know how to explain the taste of beets but there definitely seems to be a divide amongst the majority of people whether they like or dislike beets. My father HATES beets, while my mom loves them:), so naturally I LIKE them :D

Gianni

Gianni

I've got a question Gianni. You have beets listed as one of the ingredients and I was wondering how you felt about using orange or yellow beets instead of the red ones (to prevent that "uh oh" feeling when you go to the bathroom and might see some red coloring). I see them in the organic section all the time but do you think its better to use the red rather than the orange or yellow? If yes why?
Good point Crabby, didn't really think about that. I have no reason in choosing red over orange and yellow. The only thing is I believe the red ones are cheaper. I will make a note about it, Thanks.

Gianni

Thanks so much for the video it was very informative.
I love beets , found they give a good "wowzers wake up" feeling in the morning and the I think the colour looks amazingly appetising so I will be going for them.

I see you are planing for 3 juices a day, I think I will need more than that as I am a snacker, so will need juice shots or something in between.

How much juice are you planing to have per meal ?

So that's about a pint in our money, sounds about right. I have just over half a pint for breakfast at the moment. I am going to need to get a flask to take my "lunch" to work.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
So that's about a pint in our money, sounds about right. I have just over half a pint for breakfast at the moment. I am going to need to get a flask to take my "lunch" to work.
That brings up a good point....with regards to storing juice, is it recommended? I read in a few places that you should drink it w/in 15 min of juicing and that storing it is not a good option. But most things I read don't talk about it. The last day of my juice fast I will be at work much of it so I can't just juice my drinks at my desk. I will either have to bring it from home and store it or break from the process and buy from jamba juice. I heard something about bacteria growth and loss of nutrients the longer the juice is left to sit (even in the fridge).

I also don't have an expensive "masticating" juicer which I heard is better to use when you store your juices. I have a "centrifugal" juicer.

Anyone have any suggestions with regards to proper storage? That's what I couldn't figure out in my research.

Last edited:

Gianni

Good point Crohn's, I forgot to mention that :(.
Glass Jars are amazing for storing juices, if you twist the lid on tight minimal oxidation will occur. I have about 10 glass jars that I use and they hold 32 oz of juice, If you want to fill those up to the top and store them in your fridge 3 days in advanced, I still think it can be massively beneficial. You can buy glass mason jars at just about any grocery store. (keep in mind, you may need more produce to fill up these jars if you plant to do a jar per juice).

Last edited:
I was having bad cramps and D and gas I cut out the offending veg and was fine apples are the worst for me

Gianni

Yeah sometimes the sucrose in the fruit can be a problem for some with active crohn's in the ileum although I don't hear about it all too commonly. If you don't like your juices so savory and can't have apples I would suggest maybe lemons or limes as they have low sucrose levels. Also ginger is a great mask:)

Gianni

I actually love veggie juices I love juice with beets I think its a nice sweet taste I forgot to peel em once lets just say the taste was ummm had to drink a can of soft drink to get rid of it

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Mentally preparing myself....I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead for the first time last night. I enjoyed it and found it inspiring and informative. Here's the Hulu link to watch the movie for free on your computer if anyone is interested.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/289122

I decided to start my juice fast this evening instead. I coincidentally have a GI appointment Monday afternoon so luckily if anything happens with my digestive system during the 3 day fast I can discuss it with him.

Oh, I also decided to make a list of things I can do to occupy myself if I start to get frustrated/irritable. I have house guests and I don't want them to think I am crazy! LOL.

I will do some light walking for 15min each day, use my mindfulness meditation recordings and maybe learning some yoga if not stretching.

Good Luck Everyone!!! :D:hang::mario2::mario2::mario2:

Gianni

hey guys, for those who live in australia or have started the juice fast already^^ :D. I rushed home and just made the video, editing it right now, should be up within the hour.

Gianni