• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey everyone im a mum of a 16 yol who just got diagnosed with crohns we r a bit scare

Catherine

Can you tell us a bit more about your teenager.

My 17 year old my daughter dx in January.

Come join us on the parents forum.

Sorry to hear about the dx of you kid.
Hugs to you. Yes please tell us more and
please fell free to join our parents forum.

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, what treatment routes have you been offered/gone down?

You'll find a lot of solace in this forum, that i'm sure of :)

I was 16 when I was diagnosed with Crohn's.
It will not be easy but at least now you all have an answer. When I started getting ill, vomiting after every meal diarrhea and weight loss even family member felt I was putting it on or had an eating disorder. I did not confide in anyone about the mucus or bleeding I was having. So in my mind I though I was dying of cancer or something worse.

Initially I did not want to hear it. I did not want to be different or ill and refused to take meds. A year later I got in a right state and was rushed to the hospital. From Then on I took charge of my illness.

I know my Mum and Dad were very upset when I got my diagnosis and so was I. But there are so many resources now to help you all. It may felt like the end of the world in the beginning but with time you will all get used to it.

It will effect the day to day life of your son and he will get angry and upset at times and will want his own space whilst being too ill to do things for himself. At least he has a caring mum like you who already has his back enough to reach out for help.

hi, I was diagnosed when i was 13 i am now 27, ive had 2 bowel ops (removed most of my small bowel) and looks like im on my way to a 3rd op :( been on every meds you can get nothing has worked for me. sorry to hear about your son but hes lucky to have you to support him, its a horrid painfull disease that i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy BUT everyone is different, more severe than others and thats what you have to remember. Also theres many more meds out today than there was when i was first diagnosed. Hope this helps, P.S a hot water bottle to your tummy when pain hits does ease the pain quite a lot! (sat with one now!) good luck