• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcerative colitis

I just came home from the hospital with a diagnosis of ulcerative colitis. I am a young mother of 4 children and feel like I'm so useless now. The doctors prescribed 8 pills of Salofalk (4 at a time 2X daily) but even after taking them for 4 days, my symptoms are still just as bad. Does this ever end? My heart is so heavy right now, and I feel like their a huge mountain in front of me that seems impossible to climb. I just need to hear of something good...encouraging stories of how others coped and managed this. It just feels like my life has gone down the crapper...literally!;-)

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum!

You're certainly not useless, and it will get better! A few days is typically not long enough for a medication to start working. When I started Pentasa, my doctor said it can take up to three months (Pentasa and Salofalk are both brand names of mesalamine). That seems like forever, but you'll get there! Are you taking anything else - medications, vitamins, supplements?

How long were you showing symptoms before your diagnosis? Just remember, you made it through that - now you have a diagnosis, so your doctor knows how to help you. It's not a mountain - just a little bump!

Please keep us updated on how you're doing! :)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There is a lot to tqke in when first diagnosed, just know there is a lot of helpful info and suppport here for you and as already mentioned it is possible for things to get better.

It certainly could be that the med needs a little more time to kick in - is this the only thing the doc has prescribed? Are you able to get in touch with them easily in case you do continue to have problems? When are you due to see them again for a check up? We do have a forum dedicated to UC that is worth checking out so you can talk to others who have this: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome!

It CAN GET BETTER!

What symptoms do you have at present?

We're here for you anytime you need us. I know it's tough but again, it can get better.

All my best to you.

Hey there,
My symptoms are going to the washroom frequently and having blood. Also abdominal cramping whenever anything enters my system. And for some reason, I also have lower back pain- not sure if it's because of going to the washroom so frequently. I feel like I've lived my life in the loo for the last 4 weeks. I am tired and weak- and when I eat anything including what's on the colitis diet I have to use the washroom about 30 minutes afterward. I'm not sure if I'm tired because of the drugs the doctors have me on. I'm currently on salofalk (8pills a day) and hoping they work their magic. Since being on the medication, I haven't gone as frequently and the blood is getting less and less each time. I've never been this sick before. Any suggestions on diet that I can use? I feel like the doctors diagnosed me and gave me pills and said nothing to me of how to manage this. Anything would be greatly appreciated!;-)

Last edited:
Someone mentioned to me about taking Visalus shakes once a day because they are packed with minerals and vitamins...has anyone else tried these? If so, are they successful?