• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and Pain Management

Hello I am new here, 33 yr old male with crohns for 17 years now, i recently have gotten into a pain mgmt. clinic,......i have mixed feelings, ive switched back and forth from morphine to methadone, I was wondering if anyone else with crohns is in P.M.? and what are you taking? btw i just had my 3rd bowel recesction last month 18 more inches gone,..........:sign0085:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I myself have not required/requested pain meds (only had them for my op last year for a couple of weeks) but I do know others here do need them. Out of interest what meds are you on for the crohn's? Is pain the only symptom you still continue to get and where do you get it? Also are the docs keeping an eye on your vitamin levels?

AB
xx

Hi foolish harvest!i am going to a pain management clinic too.ive had 6 bowel resections and 10 abdominal surgeries mostly related to crohns so I know it's tough sometimes! My doctor prescribes norco 7.5mg three times a day. I am also on tincture of opium due to the number of stools I have. Optimally, this would be around 4-5 a day. It has been as high as 20 a day of relentless poo with incontinence so it's much much better.
I would agree with you about methadone..I have heard it is very difficult to detox off of when that time comes, if it does.ive never been on it myself. I was on fentanyl patches for about 8-9 years until I weaned myself off of them. THAT was incredibly uncomfortable. I have also heard methadone is awesome with chronic pain so I'm afraid I'm not much help!!

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome. I don't have any advice or personal insight on the pain management side of things but wanted to welcome you to the community.

I hope you're doing ok after the latest resection.

All my best to you.

Hi! I'm pretty new to the forum myself having just posted a couple times. I was diagnosed with Crohn's last August 2011 and I was in the hospital 4 different times for a total of 24 days. I also had a bowel obstruction, but thankfully it resolved on its own without surgery. My main complaints with Crohn's are abdominal pain and nausea/diarrhea. I was prescribed Pentasa, Prednisone, Bentyl, Librax, but my Crohn's was a bit severe so I get Remicade infusions every 6 weeks. I also see a pain management doctor for pain medicine as you have probably found out that G.I. Docs don't like to prescribe narcotics. Believe me, I wish I didn't have to take them, but if I don't then my livelihood is greatly affected. I take Oxy, Lyrica, sometimes Ultram and Xanax. You're not alone!

I'm on methadone now and I'm going to my first follow up appointment soon to see if they wanted to stay on that or switch to something else. Which one has given you the most pain relief?

Hi I have been to P.M. and they tried me on several different medications, they started me with hydrocodone, then switched me to the fentanyl patch and then switched me to the immediate release oxycodone. I found that the immediate release oxycodone worked much better than any of the rest simply bc it works immediately and you don't have to wait for the relief to come. I hated the fentanyl patch it made my heart rate go out the roof, and I was once on the methadone after my bowel resection and I couldn't stand that either, it made me very itchy so I stopped taking that immediately! Honestly, you just need to talk to you doctors about all of your options and limit the amount that you take, you definitely don't want liver issues as well!! Good luck and you will be in my prayers!