• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

23 years with Crohn's, been through it all!

Hi Everyone, I am a 40 year old female and was diagnosed at 17 with Crohns. I had my first surgery at 17 and have has 5 resections since including a temporary illeostomy for one of them. It's now reversed. I have been on many drugs and have been on Purinethol 6 MP for about 10 years now ( 75 gr. daily). I have not had many side effects on this drug, been quite lucky. Just a dry mouth and insatiable thirst from time to time. I had 1 surgery while on it, so I am not sure if it really kept things at bay or not. However, it's been 7 years since my last flareup and surgery, this is the longest I have ever gone since being diagnosed with Crohn's. Anyways, been through it all.....feel free to ask any questions. I would love to hear about new remedies people are trying.

Gianni

Hi Dasha123, Welcome to the community :D

Wow it sure sound like you've gone through a lot :(. I have a few questions...

Do you suffer from short bowel syndrome after so many surgeries?

Have you had your Vitamin levels tested recently?

What is your diet like? (try to be specific)

I think you will find this forum very informative. Please browse through the different sections on diets, supplements, and treatments for different remedies people have discovered.

All the best

Gianni

Hi Gianni,
Thanks for the welcome! No I do not suffer from short bowel syndrome, although one would think I would after having so much bowel removed. My Crohn's moves around. I had my dueodenum removed, 2 in the small bowel and 2 more in the large bowel ( sigmoid and transverse colon). I do have my vitamin levels tested and so far , I am fine. I do eat a very good diet. It's odd, but I find that 2 super foods have helped me. I agree 100% that diet can control this disease. I eat tons of boiled buckwheat which is gluten free and tons of beets. Both are very high in healthy nutrients. Beets have some good anti-color cancer properties. Like most people, I do enjoy a good Big Mac from time to time, but feel very ill to my stomach afterwards. I also eat tons of apples, bananas and borcht soup ( basically cabbage, beets and veggies). I try to avoid dairy and bread/pasta products although I do have them from time to time ( maybe 1x a week).
Please tell me about your diet, I see that you became vegan and have been disease free:)
Dasha

Gianni

Please tell me about your diet, I see that you became vegan and have been disease free:)
I am a strict vegan. I also make sure to consume about 70% raw produce.

I believe by just adding in beneficial fruits, veggies, legumes, and nuts that you will be building your body up so it can take care of the problem. A good way to incorporate all of the fruit and veggies is by juicing, which I do quite frequently. You can read why I think juicing is so beneficial here. (click that)

For breakfast I typically do a juice, (something like carrot, sweet potato, apple) or if I don't have time I will eat a piece of fruit.

Lunch is typically a large salad almost always including an avocado. Once again if i have time to make a green juice here, I do.

Dinner is either a soup, or salad again or I dive into a recipe book. I also might cheat and have some thai vegan food or something. Being in L.A. there are plenty of healthy vegan places around so I benefit from that. And a juice if I have time.

I supplement b12 and cold pressed flax seed oil.

I believe including immune boosting foods like; kiwi, apples, oranges, blueberries, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, carrots, and ginger amongst many others will give your body the resources it needs to take care of itself. :)

Gianni

David

Co-Founder
Hi Dasha and welcome!

Thanks for joining and sharing your story. I'm so pleased to hear you've been in remission for so long, especially after so many resections. That's wonderful :)

And thank you for sharing your diet, I appreciate it. I'm finding one of the healthiest things for me is soup as well. However, I haven't been adding cabbage or beets to it so you've inspired me there. If you are ever game to post your soup recipe in the diet forum, I'd love to try it.

Again, welcome! I hope to see you around more often. I have no doubt you have much knowledge and wisdom to share and hopefully we can return the favor from time to time.

Thanks for the welcome David, I will post the Borcht recipe for sure and there are many variations if you google it. Gianni, thank you for sharing all the details of your diet. I have to admit, it's only been in the last 2 years I have been more careful about my diet, so I am keen to start making some more drastic changes such as more raw veggies and juicing as you have suggested. I currently take Omega 3 and Vitamin D as far as supplements. I am naturally a high energy person, so despite all my surgeries, energy has not been a problem for me.
Ok so soup!!!!! An old Russian recipe passed on to me from a friend:)
1. Start by making some Broth ( you can boil meat bones in water) or buy the pre-made Campbells stuff. I prefer chicken flavour. Start with 4-6 cups
2. In a frying pan, fry in 2 tbsp. of olive oil 1 medium chopped onion, some chopped carrots ( 3/4 cup) and 1 chopped red pepper. Add this to the broth.
3. Boil 1-2 peeled potatoes and chopped them into cubes . Add them to the broth.Sometimes I omit the potatoes to make the soup "lighter", but a Russian would tell you that it's not "real" Borcht then :))
4. Peel 1 large beet or 3 small beets and grate or chop into small cubes and add to broth. You can also omit the beets if you want, but to me this is what makes the Borcht yummy and colourful. Sometimes I cheat and take a few of the pickled beets you buy in the jars at the grocery store and just add those. Just as tasty!!
So simmer all this for about 25 mins and then finely chop cabbage into little shreds and add this at the end and simmer another 15-20 mins until cabbage is soft. Sometimes I cheat and buy the packages of the ready shredded coleslaw cabbage that is in the salad section at the grocery store .As you can see, I cheat a lot sometimes:)Add salt, pepper to your desire and a couple Bay leaves if you have them. I eat mine with a dollop of sour cream and fresh dill sprinkled on top. Very healthy and hearty!! Enjoy!!!