• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abdominal fistula due to many ops for cd

I'm 59yrs old and was diagnosed with CD in 1999. I have had 9 operations since then,including the removal of colon and rectum in 2009. In Jan 2012 I had an operation to repair my stoma,following this op I developed an abdominal fistula and 3 operations later the fistula is still there. I spent over 4 months in the local hospital (Elgin Scotland).The fistula has a high output,2 to 4 litres a day,the wound bag attached to the hole in my belly leaks continuously and is driving my wife and I crazy. I get 12 hrs of TPN daily as well as 4 hrs of fluids to maintain my hydration. Because of leaking wound bag I am basically housebound and my life sucks. I have already been referred to an intestinal failure unit who can do nothing fot me.My surgeon had now referred me to a transplantation unit in Cambridge,England. Any one out there with any similar experience of leaking wound bags,andominal fistulas etc. Forgot to mention I have only 70cms of small bowel left.

Angrybird

Hello John and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear you are having such a horrible time if things :( I have not had a fistula myself but we do have a sub forum for these that is worth checking out to get thoughts from the folks here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76. What meds are you currently on? Has anything been mentioned to you about short bowel syndrome and whether this could be contributing to the fistula out put?

AB
xx